The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sow by the Lug (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
283 Posts

Profile of Griff
Hey all I have recently come across this effect in the "Past Midnight" DVD series (#2). Benjamin Earl has a slight variation of Chad Long's effect called Shuffling Lessons. I am not familiar with Chad's version (the original I presume), but I really like the Earl variation. Turns out that it is the perfect lead in to my favorite Hold Em poker deal and I am loving it. Tried it tonight for the first time and it got very good results. Just wondering if anyone does this or the Chad Long original, and if you like it or not.
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
The Chad Long routine is terrific. It requires attentive spectator handling.

Tim
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
I was completely blown away by Shuffling Lesson when I saw him do it in a lecture. It does, however, require a very close eye on what the spectator does. One little thing wrong, and the effect is, shall we say, diminished.
scottishsweetie
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
88 Posts

Profile of scottishsweetie
I do "Sow by the Lug" - great effect and it gets really good reactions. My friend has had standing ovations from it. Spectators are really impressed that they shuffled the cards and you couldn't have influenced them getting the 4 Aces. Like Tim said you need to make the instructions clear and also make sure you don't get to far ahead of the spectators. In the final part of the trick where you have then cut of 4 or 5 cards to make 4 piles make sure you do this quite slowly so they see you only take a few cards. I have had people take too many cards at this stage and not leave enough left from the dealing out phase. Also wait until they have cut the four piles before you start dealing your remaining cards down. Let them follow your actions and see you deal to each pile in turn as you would during a card game. I have had people dealing the last few cards out in random order or a few cards at a time to a pile because I got to far ahead of them and my instructions hadn't been clear.

Have fun with the effect.

Mark
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I've been playing around with this over the last few days and love it, a colleague was so impressed he declared the best trick he's ever seen, and I've shown him quite a few over the years!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
847 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I use this effect a lot too! He has another variation in GAMBIT as well, called the gambling lesson. I have been using that lately too and its really good!

Best,

Sean
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Ive not read the gambling lesson yet

will check it out
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
sumit
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of sumit
Can someone describe the effect.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Deck of cards is cut by the spec,
lots of cuts shuffles and deals later you end up with 4 kings face up on your piles, but they end up with the 4 aces on theres
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I really enjoy performing "sow by the lug"
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1036 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Wait till you see Bens Up for the burn... sweeeeeeeeeeet.

John

Come on Benjamin, your fans are waiting.lol
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I really like this re-handling of Chad Long's trick, but could someone please tell me what the heck the title means? Is it just a nonsense name?
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 12:12, doug brewer wrote:
I really like this re-handling of Chad Long's trick, but could someone please tell me what the heck the title means? Is it just a nonsense name?

From Ulysses Annotated:

"Has the wrong sow by the lug - A stock expression for "he has made the wrong choice"; a "lug" is an ear."

And more:

SOW BY THE LUG: When a fellow wishes to play away upon another, so that he may show his own ability and lower the other's in the eyes of the world, and if this one deceives him and has greater talents than he was aware of, we say he has "taken the wrong sow by the lug." From John Mactaggart's Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, 1824.
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Thank you Splice - I've had the same question for years!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Did this a few times tonight at a paid gig near the end of the night doing abit of sit down, and it was the 1 trick they were all talking about for the remainder of the evening
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16967 Posts

Profile of joseph
An excellent effect that will fool laymen, and a lot of us.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sow by the Lug (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL