The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » up coming show list (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of kasper777
This is my routine for an upcoming show. I'm scheduled for 30-45 minutes for a two and five-year old birthday party. Let me know if it sounds like to much, too little, or if the entire thing is wrong. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponge balls which leads into Miser's Dream with sponges.

Hang 'em High— Bob Sheet's effect where rope passes through the body.

Sucker Torn and Restored Paper Napkin trick— each kid is given paper napkins to "follow along".

Birthday Song card trick - the birthday kid sings the card and I deal cards out as we sing "happy birthday" and on the last note I reveal the card.

And end with C&B.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Looks good. Don't forget to use some warmers to get kids going. Try to ask them a lot of questions to get them involved.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
This is a joke, right?

0pus
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Uh it sounds all right I guess. Let me get this right, you said a two-year old? Oh, boy that's not going to be easy. For kids that age you're going to need stuff that happens fast, other wise you will lose them half-way into to the trick.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Two-year olds like puppets. No ventriloquism required.

For two-year olds, the sponge balls will go into the mouth, the napkin will wipe the face and be thrown on the floor, the cards will have slobber on them along with teething marks, and the rope will be pulled until you give it to him or put it away.

Now if you are performing for the family and then the two-year old is "just there", you need to play for the older crowd.
Dennis Michael
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I agree Dennis, the two-year old will not understand what's going on and just do it's own thing. Hopefully the parents will sit him/her firmly on their lap so he doesn't get in your way. Concentrate on the older kids.

The Birthday card song trick doesn't sound very good at all. (That's me being polite.) But then I never do card tricks for kids. Remember at five-years old unless your using picture cards the kids won't know what the cards are.

For a five-year old the main thing is to make it fun. The fun and silliness are more important than the magic.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
hat trick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of hat trick
If you're just starting into kids' shows, then start with The Magic Ingredient video by Samuel Patrick Smith. Also, the 5 Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief video by Quentin Reynolds is an excellent buy. Both videos have live performances.

By the way, Samuel Patrick Smith has a website at http://www.spsmagic.com . On the site he has a few scripted routines under the heading of "Special Reports".

The routines you have listed don't sound very age appropriate.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I was able to shock a two-year old with a few quick coin tricks before. Too bad I didn't have sponges, they would have worked even better.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Is everyone in on the joke but me?

kasper777 has proposed performing a continuous production of sponge balls, a walking through rope trick, a sucker trick where every one of the spectators will be unable to restore a napkin like the magician (and the magician gives them the napkins to try— it's a sucker trick) and finally A CARD TRICK (effectively, one of those "spellathon" tricks)— and all for two-year olds and five-year olds!!!

I really believe this post is trolling.

If I thought kasper777 was serious, I would recommend throwing out all those proposed tricks and grab a copy of one of Samuel Patrick Smith's books or tapes, and go from there.

Basic advice would be to keep the effects BIG, COLORFUL and NON-THREATENING. You do not want bangs, popping balloons, etc. Den Dowhy's suggestion of a puppet is spot on for this age group. See Smith's "Puff" the magic rabbit or Dan Garrett's "Acey" routines.

Also consider some simple games for this crowd.

0pus
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Sometimes a performer has to make a fool out of himself before he "gets it". Hopefully Kas will heed the advice given.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
The sponge ball thing maybe, if the children don't get their hands on the balls. They might see it as a challege to get the balls off you and miss the magic altogether.

I'm not familar with Hang 'em High, but it sounds like something for older children.

The paper napkin trick sounds like a major distraction. Little fingers will still be playing with napkins while you are well into your next routine. Try just giving one napkin to an older helper.

Many pre-school age children can not even count up to 10. So they will have no idea what a deck of playing cards is. Save the card tricks for children age 7+ Smile

Puppets are the way to go with this age group. To them puppets are magic. Run Rabbit Run & the colouring book are great as well.

It is not really the tricks that are so important, it is all the bits of business that go along with them.

I've always believed that if you can't entertain children without doing any tricks at all, then you won't be able to entertain them with tricks either.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Coloring book is a big one, I can have it go on for a good 10 minutes with lots of comedy. It will go over great with the five-year olds (and maybe a little younger).
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
What a powerful statement Andy,

Quote:
"If you can't entertain children without doing any tricks at all, then you won't be able to entertain them with tricks either.

In this whole section of "The little darlings" this point was never mentioned, or at least I never read it. This is a key to learning how to be a kid's entertainer.
Dennis Michael
conceptor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of conceptor
Get rid of the cards, even the five-year olds won't get it.

The two-year olds should be seated with their parents and can be removed if they are any trouble.

Play to the four to five-year olds. Find yourself a see/no see trick, a "the magician screwed it up trick".

When doing your Miser's Dream, pull the sponges out of the kids' ears, hair, etc.

Avoid the danger trick, where the rope passes through your body ... five-year olds will try and repeat it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » up coming show list (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL