The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color changing Silks , any way to prevent... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I loved performing a "Color Changing Silk" routine many years ago. I stopped doing my routine because I thought "wrinkled" silks just didn't look professional. I have used both a D-- T--- and T---- T-- in my routine. Anyone have any ideas how to utilize either one of the methods I mentioned without wrinkling the silks? Appreciate any suggestions.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In the case of the Dye t***, its the time that you store it that takes its toll. I suppose you could develope a way to roll or twist it so that the wrinkles look like a fabric line rahther than a wrinkle. I have had success with finer (heavier) weight silk material.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
While it may "look better" without wrinkles, remember you are poking a silk into a closed hand. The logical outcome is a wrinkled silk.

Magicians is right the longer the silk is stored the more wrinkled it will look, does not matter if you use a dye tube, a TT, or a palmo.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It is silly to talk about what looks professional and what doesn't look professional. The props and apparatus of a professional magician look well used. Only the amateur who rarely performs can keep his props looking brand spanking new.

That doesn't mean your silks have to look like dirty rags, but don't obsess over a few wrinkles. If you want to be a "professional" silk performer, you carry a steam iron and ironing board with you and keep your silks ironed and rolled around tubes rather than folded. Of course they are NEVER stored inside the gimmicks used in the act. Ade Duval, of "Rhapsody in Silk" fame went way beyond that. He carried two hygrometers so he could check the humidity both on and off stage. He also replaced his silks after about eight weeks of hard use. If you're going to be "professional" about it and do a lengthy silk act, read Duval's book; that's what you're getting yourself into.

If you just have a couple of silk effects in your act, be content to iron them as soon after the performance as possible, and store them rolled so they are always ready for the next show. Load them into gimmicks just before you go on. Then concentrate on your presentation and entertain your audience.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
Maybe try a P***O instead of the DT, as there is more room inside. I find the silks come out less wrinkled and you can fit larger silks in. just my two cents..
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One other way to reduce the amount of wrinkles is to use a heavier weight (momme) of silk.

However, using a heavier silk does mean you have to account for it taking up more room in your change device.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The opposite is true. The heavier the momme the more wrinkles will hold. Think of it like paper versus construction paper.

James said it correctly. A silk or hanky in your hand is going to look wrinkled when it comes out. Start with a well ironed silk and then don't worry about it. Also pulling the silk between hands can minimize the wrinkled look.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Huh. Guess I was wrong.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I ironed a silk tonight for the first time. I stupidly left a new 18" silk in a fake egg over night and it was positively crinkled after that. It's mate was still in pristine condition.

I read a little about it in Volume 1 of Rice's Encyclopedias and first tried ironing it dry at low heat, which helped a little but not enough. I then decided to hold the silk over a steaming kettle for a few seconds and then ironed it again, which produced much better results.

I'll avoid storing my silks crunched up from now on. I don't mind them getting a bit wrinkled, but as I'm using them for a silk-to-egg effect and for 20th century silks, they all have to be more or less equally wrinkled. : )

-Daniel
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You can use steam heat as it will help. I usually iron most of my silk when they are wet. I also use hot heat but I am used to doing it. One problem this time of year is static electricity. If you put a drop or two (no more) in the rinse water, it will help kill the static caused by ironing.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
A drop or two of what?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I'm sorry....fabric softner

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use the anti-static spray sometimes. Also, if I am doing a routine that requires a duplicate, I make sure the duplicate is wrinkled also.

Regan
Mister Mystery
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 09:51, DanielCoyne wrote:
A drop or two of what?

Ethereal essence.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I really have to back what Spellbinder says here,

"The props and apparatus of a professional magician look well used. Only the amateur who rarely performs can keep his props looking brand spanking new."

There is a difference between ragged and used. But look at a pro's props in most any field and they will look like a pro's props instead of something new from the shop.

Go to a real recording session, performing orchestra pit, rodeo, stage magic show, dancer/actor dressing room, see a real pro baseball players ball glove, etc. They are not into form over substance. The props are well-used. (We like to say "seasoned".)

During the race we don't stop and wash race cars either!

Get into performing real magic. Housekeeping is not near as much fun!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My props are usually seasoned..with pizza sauce, burger juices, and wine stains.
When my silks get bad enough, I use them in a soft soap routine. Speaking of which..I could use some soft soap boxes, any leads??
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think practical magic do soft soap boxes.

Anyhow, I can tell you what not to do for wrinkles and that is leave them all scrunched up in the gimmick between performances (like I do).
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 14:50, magicians wrote:
I could use some soft soap boxes, any leads??

Cheap: Dollar Store Soap in boxes. Dump soap out into a plastic bag so you can use it later, and use the boxes for magic!

Cheaper: Check the garbage cans and dumpsters around laundromats. The boxes may be slightly damaged.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Spellbinder,

Dollar Tree is a great magic shop. My soap boxes come from there but I actually make them from poster board. You get two boxes per sheet and that makes them a quarter a piece on colored stock and six for a dollar on white stock.

My soap boxes are popcorn box size and larger than the real soap boxes but easier to tear up.

However, I'm still open to a better bargain.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4584 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
I then decided to hold the silk over a steaming kettle for a few seconds and then ironed it again, which produced much better results.

I'll avoid storing my silks crunched up from now on. I don't mind them getting a bit wrinkled, but as I'm using them for a silk-to-egg effect and for 20th century silks, they all have to be more or less equally wrinkled. : )

-Daniel

I currently don't do shows on a regular basis and unfortunately don't always store my silks properly. But when I need them to look fresh for a show I've always had great success with running them briefly under running water to get them good and wet. Then I iron them still soaking wet on top of a folded up towel on the ironing board, if I need them right away. If not, then I stick them to a large mirror (they stick because they are soaking wet). Stretch them out fairly taut while hanging them on the mirror. Come back in a few hours and your silks will have fallen off the mirror and be quite wrinkle free. You could probably also use a countertop or anything with a smooth glass-like surface, but I've always used a mirror because years ago a magician who did an entire silk act told me that's how he did it in his dressing room.

Best,
Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Color changing Silks , any way to prevent... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL