The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What age is too young for hypnosis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I am curious what the youngest age that fellow Café members have had successful hypnosis shows with? I know high school aged kids generally make great subjects but when are they too young?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I feel the two main elements for a successful hypnotist is credibility and experience. Most high school age kids will not have either. It's really a process that to me can possibly begin at this age but won't really exist on the pro level needed for at least several years after. I know many here will not agree with me but this is based on my own experiences. It's not like a DJ where anyone with an ipod or music collection and sound system can get away passing themselves off as an experienced professional. "Successful" was the key word in your statement. A "successful" show is much more than possibly hypnotizing a few friends. Just my two cents since you asked.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Someone's not listen/reading very well...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I thought he meant the subjects more than the performer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I think he meant subjects....
I do a gig that is all ages, from toddlers on up to 100.
I always invite high school and above to participate on stage.
Now I have had younger want to participate, and they actually do well for a while, but soon get too silly and hard to manage safely, or over-ham it and become an issue. Personally I would never do a show for an audience that had a large number of Jr high or lower, but a few in the crowd is OK, but onstage its high risk and poor entertainment.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I had a 14 year old once in an FFA banquet. The rest were high school to adult. He popped his head up a couple of times looking around, but by the end of the induction he was as under as the rest. I wouldn't want to do a show with all of them that age. Like Richard says too many management issues on stage.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what he was asking, my mistake. I have performed regularly for middle schools and have had some 10-12 year olds at different fair and festival shows. To me the hardest thing is their attention span as they get much younger than that. They get distracted and break focus quite easily. Again, sorry, didn't intend to derail this topic.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Thanks to everyone so far (and Mindpro, no harm done... ironically I did something similar recently to a thread that I believe was started by "suspectacts")
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I think the question shouldn't be the age, but rather the individual and the situation.

High school kids may be great. However, if you have 50 high schoolers you run the risk of a couple wanting to be class clowns by screwing you up. A well-trained stage hypnotist should know how to deal with this, but in my experience, most stage hypnotists today don't have thorough training.

I agree that Middle School kids can be great, but if they're around high schoolers, some try to act older which can equal trying to screw you up.

And if you go middle school or younger, they are so used to going in and out of trance (thanks to Saturday cartoons and MTV) that they can easily pop out of trance during a show. I wouldn't use them. Plus, they are far more likely to get upset and start crying if people laugh at their antics.

I know LOTS of magicians who started by doing parties for children. Most of them won't do kid parties any more because young kids are difficult audiences. Personally, I don't do stage work with them.

Keir, I would respectfully suggest contacting one or more of the persons you trained with and ask what they advise.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Out of curiosity are there any legal limits around the age of consent?

I may be wrong but I am sure there is something in uk law that forbids hypnotising certain people under a certain age for shows?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think 16 is the law in the UK.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes I think you might be right. Although Im sure you still need parents permission.

Im not totally sure. But usually with most things you do with anyone under 18 over here.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I think most hypnotists in the UK would be horrified to hear that kids of 10-12 yrs old are being hypnotised in shows in the US.
Understand I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong in that, rather merely pointing out the culture differences.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
So whats your opinion Bobser? Don't sit on the fence you'l get piles. Youve told us what your not saying....so what ARE you saying.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm saying... "I'm not saying"
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
I started doing hypnosis from the age of 14 but I've been performing my show itself since I was 16...however with a background in acting and performing comedy magic I already had a head start.
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
Oh and in reply to MindPunisher's question.. it's illegal to hypnotize anyone under the age of 18 in a stage show in the UK.
cyberdog
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cyberdog
Just to be sure always above 18
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
What if the've got a beard, tattoos and swear a lot (their husband as well)? can you zap them then?
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Over 100 shows a year -mainly colleges & Uni's- Im Involved with

Never Hypnotised anyone under 16

18 is the norm min age-throw the rest off stage asap.

Watching kids with no life experience is not funny under Hypnosis
especially when over the top reactions occur naturally with adults & make the comedy natural!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What age is too young for hypnosis? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL