The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Missing Think by Dan Harlan (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17149 Posts

Profile of joseph
Has anyone figured this one out yet?

Have someone think of any card, No Force.
7 beautifully made laminated cards, each with several playing card values are shown, and given to the spectator. She/he is to look at each card, and keep the card if hers/his is among the cards displayed.

You have placed a prediction on the table beforehand. You show the prediction, and it states that she/he is left with 3 cards. That's correct, but not great magic. You then state, "Would it have been better if I wrote down, and name her/his card that only she/he has been thinking of!

I do this all the time, and it gets great responses, but I don't even know how it's done. It can be any card, and it always works. Dan Harlan even says not to try to figure it out. This is a great mental effect, on par with the Invisible Deck, and simple to do. Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I have never heard of this one.Where can it be purchased, and how expensive is it?

Wait a minute: at what point is the "prediction" of the chosen card announced by the magician? Is it written down on the same paper that was laid out beforehand, the paper that predicts that the spectator will have 3 cards in hand at the end? (That would indeed be impressive.) Or is it simply orally announced by the magician after the spectator has already separated out the cards on which her thought-of card appears? In the latter case, it sounds like just another version of an old trick with cards that have numbers on them: the spectator keeps the cards that have her thought-of number on them, and, by looking at which cards those are, the magician is able to figure out what number she's thinking of. Is this that, just with playing cards?

Thanks.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17149 Posts

Profile of joseph
Check here for description and to buy:

http://www.wizardcraft.com/mental.htm

It is not predicted beforehand, but after the cards are separated, but still is a great mental effect. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The effect is based on the binary system. I had a form of this trick when I was quite young.

Since you already own this trick, I will send you a private message telling exactly how it works.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
This whole thing about the binary principle that Bill Hallahan mentions, plus some posts elsewhere in the "Magical Equations" forums, have me intrigued. I too had tricks very much like "Missing Think" when I was a kid, but I had no idea they were based on the binary system.

I have been doing just a little research on the Net about binary stuff, and have finally, after about 50 years, figured out how the "Magic Window" game I had at 6 years old actually worked! And, from these other postings, I have learned that an author named Leo Boudreau has written books utilizing very subtle versions of the binary principle to come up with some astonishing routines.

Thank you, Joseph, and thank you, Bill Hallahan, for introducing me to a very interesting line of thought.

Another trick that uses the binary principle is a freeware computer program called
"Telepath" that I've had on my computer for some time now. I cannot recall where I got it, but it was produced by an outfit called the American Free Electronic Library. It uses binary math and the computer itself to produce an amazing illusion of telepathy.
-- Hushai
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
144 Posts

Profile of leonard
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary math, and those who don't.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
You're welcome Hushai, and thank you for the nice feedback.

I too have had learned a great deal from others at this site. I am glad I can finally help someone else.

I find the most valuable part of the Café to be the fellowship, but next to that is the fact that people can point you to great references. I have both sought after, and avoided, many tricks, books, tapes, and DVD's because of information I learned here.

I appreciate you supplying Leo Boudreau's name as a reference. Now I can learn some more uses for the binary system in magic!

Oh, and that is funny, leonard!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Alex Elmsley has some nice stuff using binary in his books collected works (liars matrix).

There is also some cards effects using binary that are very similar to Missing Think.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Interesting effect.

Candin
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3472 Posts

Profile of Julie
A Missing Think identical to the Dan Harlan offering (but with a different name) was part of the Magic Works series of toy magic tricks sold in toy stores back in the 1990's.

It's still a great trick. A local magician liked the trick so much he went to KINKO's and had a jumbo set made!

Julie
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
What made Missing Think so different is that I used a "truncated" binary system that eliminated the need for the performer to do any math at all. The "thought of" card was revealed automatically.

Magic Works purchased the idea for their series and renamed it "Ghost Deck." I'm not sure where you'd be able to get one of these now, in either form.

--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
I don't want to expose it here, but seriously, that's the sort of stuff you see in internet math puzzles.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
I saw that the same principle has been borrowed to

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Show-Mark-Se......61115951

in a trick where there will always be a predetermined number of cards with a certain type of food on it. The answer is automatically given in a clever way. I just love this book!

/Tomas
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2003-06-03 02:45, Hushai wrote:
Another trick that uses the binary principle is a freeware computer program called
"Telepath" that I've had on my computer for some time now. I cannot recall where I got it, but it was produced by an outfit called the American Free Electronic Library. It uses binary math and the computer itself to produce an amazing illusion of telepathy.
-- Hushai

Does anybody know where a working version of this trick can be downloaded? By working I mean, that will work on modern operating systems.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Missing Think by Dan Harlan (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL