The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » $ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Very interesting....
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you guys can suss it out will you pass on the details to me,,,,please.
Ken.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Wasn't "Flea By The Sea" a proposed Thor venture? If I remember right isn't supposed to be where Astroland was? I may be wrong though. But if I am, at it's simplest - Astroland torn down - Flea Market opened in it's place. Maybe Todd can shed some light on this.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I am not a betting man, but it smells like Thor Equities is behind this. My guess is that they will be having some sort of a flea market set up on some of their vast vacant property and want acts to work a stage there. This is just a guess. No one else in Coney Island has money. In years past they have brought in independant rides and the Cole Bros. circus.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I am a powerful man. Do not look me directly in the eye.

The good news is that this would be a good spot for a Higley set up.

As for performers, Thor might throw some money at this, but my feeling is that they will try to get acts to busk. Knowing the crowd in Coney Island, this would be a bad thing for the acts.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
We have gone from Feltman's to Astroland to Flea by the Sea. They spelled 'flea' wrong. Good bye my Coney Island baby.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
For a second there I thought they were auctioning off all the good stuff at a flea market. I like the line "pay negotiableper act". This = get ripped off while someone says "But what about keeping it (sideshow) alive?", not on MY dime.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I saw that craigs list post yesterday. The flea market is going to be on the Astroland site.
Last season thor brought in a couple of single o's on 2 of their lots. They were gone within 2 weeks. I don't know why.
I can't imagine this flea market will be too successful- even with clowns and stilt walkers.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The single-os were Jack Constantine's shows. He parked them there between fair dates. He has done that in the past. As a matter of fact, about a decade ago he had a couple of his shows in 1208 Surf on the Surf Ave. side when the Coney Island USA building was owned by Leo.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
These shows were right across from the Sideshow one on 12th in the lot near the bank, the other was on Surf in the same lot. Their backs basically touched. One was the smallest woman in the world. I'm not sure what the other was.
Why were they gone in such a hurry?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Jack was just filling in time between other dates with the shows. He usually brought them in right before or right after the Meadowlands Fair dates in the late June or early July. I think he had his oddities museum and probably his snake girl illusion.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Yeah, I think it was the snake girl.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"Help us capture that mystical atmosphere that is Coney Island!"

Yes, an atmosphere fading into the mist. Bustards. Here's a re-write..."We've killed it, so we can sell you the lingering odor. A whole 2 oz bottle, for just $17!"

For the Café thought police, from Wiki..."Bustards, including floricans and korhaans, are large terrestrial birds mainly associated with dry open country and steppes in the Old World. They make up the family Otididae (formerly known as Otidae). They were renowned by the ancient Arabs for being unnaturally stupid."
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 09:25, Todd Robbins wrote:
Jack was just filling in time between other dates with the shows. He usually brought them in right before or right after the Meadowlands Fair dates in the late June or early July. I think he had his oddities museum and probably his snake girl illusion.

Snake Girl & Little Woman.
He was filling the time until Middletown opened.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 09:31, Harley Newman wrote:
"They were renowned by the ancient Arabs for being unnaturally stupid."

Unnaturally stupid.. I like it. It implies intelligence as being natural, so where do the ignorant place in this order?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 07:27, Todd Robbins wrote:
....the crowd in Coney Island, this would be a bad thing for the acts.

Todd, how do the locals (police, misc. authorities) handle busking on the boardwalk?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 10:36, Chance wrote:
Todd, how do the locals (police, misc. authorities) handle busking on the boardwalk?

There is a lot of unauthorized commerce that happens on the boardwalk. There are a bunch of photo ops with Mickey Mouse and super hero knock offs. I have not seen much in the way of performance. Technically, the boardwalk is part of the parks department, so you have park rangers and a LARGE police presence to deal with if you want to busk. I'm sure it is a freedom of expression thing that would allow you to legally perform, but that doesn't mean you won't be harassed by the authorities.

Oh, and add to this that the crowds can be incredibly rangy and broke.

I think you are getting the picture.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Great, be right over! (Kinda cold for sleeping under the boards, can I crash at your place? lol)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » $ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL