The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Drawing Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Does anyone out there use this prop? I am thinking of purchasing it but need to know some information on its operation or ease thereof.
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I would say that The Magic Drawing Board is currently the most popular routine that I do. If you don't do any vent, you'll also want to get the AxTrax CDs, they're awesome! There are SO many possibilities with this prop that you simply MUST get it, you won't regret it! It's also quite easy to operate but you'll want to watch your angles.
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
The quality is excellent and it's really easy to operate, but coming up with a good and original routine would take up more time. If originality does not bother you, Axtell Expressions do have many resources and ready to perform routines available. I second Andini's recommendation of AxTrax CDs.
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
135 Posts

Profile of lhughes
I have used the drawing board extensively. Despite its simplicity, the reaction it gets is so extreme that I have often used it to close my children's shows. I made the mistake of ordering a right-handed prop while I am left handed. This has limited my ability to draw anything I wish (the kids laugh at my "artistic ability").

I have had one problem with it. Over the years, the clear plastic that covers the frame yellowed and seemed to shrink. This made me have to replace it. I now have a plexiglass cover on the board which is great!
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
Can you tell me some funny jokes when using the board and maybe a routine? - thanks
:banana:
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3274 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Where can someone find the Magic Drawing Board? I tried a search at Hocus-Pocus and Magic Warehouse to no avail. Thanks!
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Hank Lees magic factory...

http://www.hanklee.com
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
You can purchase it direct from the manufacturer -Steve Axtell.
http://www.axtell.com/illusions.html
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Have any of you tried this fairly close up - say, in a birthday party situation? Can the audience detect the gaff at close range? I've wanted to get this for years, but was unsure about performing conditions.

Thanks for any help.

Ron Reid
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3274 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I am also curious if this can be done fairly close up (birthday party).
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This is great for a birthday party. You can even get a birthday party tape/cd with it while you draw a talking birthday cake.

Yes the plastic does turn yellow, and yes it can be used up close... very close! You can even purchase an ungimmicked one so they can inspect it. There is a small and large version. Axtell now has a remote controlled one so you can move away from it while it's eyes follow you and it talks. (Expensive but I don't know if it's for sale yet, I saw the prototype at the Kidabra Conference.) Buy the video, or give Steve a call, he may still have some demos available. (See Axtell Drawing Board or read the full Birthday Party Script.)

This is discussed elsewhere (in The Little Darlings), so do a search in the Café and archives on the "drawing board".

It belongs in the top ten of kids' show magic. The younger the kids, the more puppets are important in a younger birthday party show. This board allows you, as a non-ventriloquist, to add a new dimension to your show. It is a great opener for your act.

At the Kidabra Conference, many kid show entertainers have this and use this and I have never heard one person say they were disappointed in this purchase. It is a worthy purchase.
Dennis Michael
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
I have heard it is good, especially for kids. Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I have used this for kids and adult audiences (I think Harry Anderson used it on the Tonight Show once). I'm left handed, but when I first purchased it, all that was available was the right hand model. It still works great. And I have used it for birthdays, so it can be effective at fairly close quarters.

Coming up with your own routine will take some time (it did for me), but there are lots of resources available, and the instructions include a sample routine to get you started. It gets two thumbs up from me!

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I have used this prop in most imaginable places, especially birthday parties. The only problems I have encountered are nosy parents and kids trying to get behind me, which requires extra awareness. And the sun. If you currently own one you may know what I am talking about, this is only a matter of direction though.

I agree with everyone about how great this is. I have closed my shows for the past four years with this and it never fails to get a round of applause.

The tapes/cds are worth their weight in gold.

oliver
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
I cannot understand something about the CD/tapes that one can purchase. What happens if you are using them and something occurs (eg: a very small kid comes near you.). Do you keep going with the show, as if nothing happened? Even if they touch the board or something? Or else someone asks a question. Children are a little unpredictable, right?

Any ideas or help on this? I would really like to learn Vent BTW. I like all pupets from Axtell.

And one more thing. There are two close-up versions of this. One uses a notebook and is by Sean Bogunia.
Yours,

Ivan
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I use Axtell's Drawing board with vent for the very reason niva stated in his post. Vent contrary to popular belief is not very difficult with a little practice. Also with vent, you can develop many different routines and also allows ad-libbing which can make your performance more fun for you as well as your audience.

Just my two cents...
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
In response to Niva's question. Oh that, yeah it happens sometimes. That goes for any effect that's performed in a kid show.

The way I handle questions during the tape when (not if) it occurs, is by simply raising my hand and patting the air gently down, this conveys that I am in the middle of something and will answer the questions later. Or if they persist, then I say I will answer the questions later. Saying it looks cool sometimes because many of the people think I am doing a vent act so it trips them up a bit.

Also, the birthday and Christmas shows have the kids drawing on the board in the beginning, this takes heat off of you later on since they don't think it is gaffed because who would let them touch a trick drawing board.

I am not familiar with the close up versions. I thought about using them, and I think they would do well, but I don't think I would use it properly.

oliver
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
The magic board is so good I have two
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
The Magic Drawing Board is strong for both children and adults. I have seen adults laugh so hard they had to get up and leave their seat. I use it in every children's birthday party I do. Basic audience management will keep children seated and behaved. If you need help in this area I suggest you ask an elementary teacher for ideas.

I don't do vent so I use the recording that comes with the board. During a recent performance a lady from the audience approached me after the show and asked if I was doing the voice of the drawing or if it was on the cd.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I also believe this is a super effect and I use it in my kids shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Magic Drawing Board (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL