We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag Girl Controversy Revisited (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Wow, that Zig Zag is atrocious. I guess it would be ok if he just pulled the box over more than half-way...
hmmm..
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Quote:
On 2009-03-02 01:50, briansmagic wrote:
Wow, that Zig Zag is atrocious. I guess it would be ok if he just pulled the box over more than half-way...
hmmm..

This is why I don't associate much with other magicians. I perform for an audience, not to prove something to other magicians.. and once again, I didn't ask for a critque and none is accepted or wanted.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1842 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I realize this is resurrecting an old topic, but it might be of interest that Mike Caveney has a 22 minute talk about the Zig Zag Controversy posted at this link:

http://essentialmagicconference.com/videos/111

(and yeah , there are some really HORRIBLE performances of Zig Zag posted on YouTube . Fellas , open your eyes and take a good hard look at your performance and equipment. No one is remotely fooled when your assistant isn't limber enough to be able to slide the middle of the box all the way over to the left . Either your cabinet is build wrong or your assistant isn't slender/limber enough or both ... )
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1135 Posts

Profile of Eldon
[quote]On Jul 26, 2015, David Todd wrote:
I realize this is resurrecting an old topic, but it might be of interest that Mike Caveney has a 22 minute talk about the Zig Zag Controversy posted at this link:

Thanks, that was great.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2015, David Todd wrote:

(and yeah , there are some really HORRIBLE performances of Zig Zag posted on YouTube . Fellas , open your eyes and take a good hard look at your performance and equipment. No one is remotely fooled when your assistant isn't limber enough to be able to slide the middle of the box all the way over to the left . Either your cabinet is build wrong or your assistant isn't slender/limber enough or both ... )

The Essential Magic Conference site seems to have vanished. Does anyone know where this 22-minute talk by Mike Caveney might be available?

FWIW, I was alerted to this controversy while watching episode #14 of Magic Collectors' Corner. One of the features during the episode is the magic of Robert Harbin and the controversy (and article by Mike Caveney in March 2009 Magic Magazine) was mentioned. I have a subscription to Genii which also gives me access to back-issues of Magic Magazine and I just finished reading Mike Caveney's article. I found the whole thing to be quite fascinating.

Now, back to Magic Collectors's Corner!

Mark
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1842 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:

The Essential Magic Conference site seems to have vanished. Does anyone know where this 22-minute talk by Mike Caveney might be available?

You're right ... the EMC website seems to be gone. I don't know what happened to it. Smile That's too bad, it had some good content.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1952 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Larson originally took up for Harbin. After the Abbot incident he declared he would never have any magician in Genii who did the Zig-Zag, several years later he published plans for a simplified version.
Also it time for someone to put out a reasonably priced version of "The Harbin Book".
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1952 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2009, Senor Rai wrote:
Right Adam, Phil Morris published that book and I love it. If you haven't already read "ILLUSION SHOW" my Bamberg, get it and get the real dirt. There was so much of that going on in those days, it is nothing new. Rai

$769.00 to $ 1139 get um while their hot!
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The book was produced by Harbin to keep it out of the hands of everybody. The rights are owned by the Origami Society and the plates have been destroyed. There will most likely never be a reprint, especially a cheap one. That is the way it should be. That is the way Harbin wanted it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2020, hugmagic wrote:
The book was produced by Harbin to keep it out of the hands of everybody. The rights are owned by the Origami Society and the plates have been destroyed. There will most likely never be a reprint, especially a cheap one. That is the way it should be. That is the way Harbin wanted it.

Harbin also didn’t want the illusions from that book to be built for anyone but a legit owner of the book.

And yet... here we are.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag Girl Controversy Revisited (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL