The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls sticking in elevator move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Hi,

I perform the cups and balls, and I'm using bouncy balls (rubber) as the balls. All the moves work, apart from one - the elevator move. When it rides up the cup, it sticks to it so that the cups don't nest properly. I also need this move for the presentation to work together.

I have to use these balls, so I need a method to make them less sticky and make the move more consistent and less clumbersome.
I could cover them with varnish, glue, fanning powder etc. But what will work best and will it damage the design on the ball?

Any helps you could provide would be appreciated.

Steve
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Paints won't stick to them, so that's out. I don't think fanning puwder will help either.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I do a version of Roth's three ball routine. Purchased different types of rubber balls from Toy 'R' Us until I found the right type of rubber which worked best for the pop up move. Some balls were shinny and almost had a slippery feel to them. This type didn't work. Finally I found a ball which was perfect. It had a cling feel to it. I realize your needs are different for your cups routine. My point is try the different types of rubber balls that are available.
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Shake the balls around in a small bag with a bit of corn starch or talcum powder.

Greg
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
How about giving the balls a coat of silicone lube? I'm not sure if this will damage the cups - perhaps Bill or someone may know.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
There are some silicone sprays that will eat the balls.
You want the type that is used in the food industry and it says on it that it is non-toxic.
We use that at work and I tried it on some rubber balls with alluminum cups and had no problems with sticking.
mobius
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
The Johnny Fox balls bounce because they are crotched around super balls.

http://www.buskergear.com/shop/?page_id=3&category=10

This may solve your problem. However, they no longer look like super balls, so perhaps that won't work for you. Just a thought.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's life with those kind of balls. That's why I switched from leather monkeyfists to nylon monkeyfists.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Sounds like Chad has the right idea with the Crocheted Super Balls. If you wanted that super ball look with crocheting you could try contacting James Tong, he is really good with the balls he sells.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Stephen, the answer is the angle that the ball hits the cup (or vice versa). If the contact is above the center of the ball, then the ball will stick. If the contact is below the center of the ball, then the ball will ride up in the cup. So, you have to break the wrist a bit more at the beginning.

For those who want to respond further, please note that Stephen is NOT doing a 3 ball routine! He's trying to get a rubber ball (in a cups and balls routine) to ride up a cup in a stacked cup scenario (the elevator move). He can't recover the balls (or at the moment, he doesn't want to).

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 19:44, cataquet wrote:
Stephen, the answer is the angle that the ball hits the cup (or vice versa). If the contact is above the center of the ball, then the ball will stick. If the contact is below the center of the ball, then the ball will ride up in the cup. So, you have to break the wrist a bit more at the beginning.

For those who want to respond further, please note that Stephen is NOT doing a 3 ball routine! He's trying to get a rubber ball (in a cups and balls routine) to ride up a cup in a stacked cup scenario (the elevator move). He can't recover the balls (or at the moment, he doesn't want to).

Bye for now

Harold

I know that this is not a three ball routine. That is not the point. I am simply saying take a look at the different types of 'RUBBER' balls out there and that may solve the problem.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One common misconception about high bounce balls is that they are silicone rubber. Some are, some aren't. Some are polyvinyl chloride. You might give a call to Fakini and find out what he knows about these.

I don't think powdering these balls will help the situation. It is caused by friction and pressure.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I do the move with croquet balls, and it works 100% of the time. It never fails on me. I do the exact same move with these rubber balls, and it works 40% of the time. The ball sticks to the edge of the cup and won't allow them to nest properly.

I know how to do the move. Its consistency that I'm after. The balls are the problem, they don't move in the same way. They don't have a smooth surface.

I have to use these balls for various reasons, they are the only ones that fit my presentation.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Applying corn starch, talcum powder or whatever, everytime you are about to do your routine also sounds like a real nuisance.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Try this:

Assuming that you are nesting the left hand cup (LHC) in the middle of the stack and the right hand cup (RHC) at the top of the stack:

Strike the ball with the LHC while the RHC is still horizontal to the stack. Then keep the RHC horizontal while you raise it to the needed height. Finally, nest the RHC with a fluid rotation (so as to keep the ball up in the attic).

If any layman lurking this open forum can understand that cryptic explanation, then I apologize.

I tried the move a couple of times just now in front of my 3 mirrored practice area and I think it would pass muster. It's not as nice as the traditional way of performing the move, but it's working. This way it relies more on the physics of gravity and Newton's Laws of Motion (can't say centrifugal force...the science nerd police would eat me alive), rather than pushing and riding along the cup.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Or, you could chop one of the super balls and use a set of combo cups.

You'd have to change your routine around a bit...but I image you could get the same end result with a little creativity.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I had/have the same problem using Gazzo cups, either tall or short, and his soccer balls! And here I thought I was the only one. With those balls, and it was only with those types of rubber/rubber-like balls, it was just a matter of consistency in performance. The moment I got off my game for an instant, the ball and cups got bound up -- it was frustrating.

I'm currently using Animal cups and mini-baseballs and have not had the problem whether I do the move just so or not, but it is a problem when I switch back -- which means I should probably break out my Gazzo's and soccer balls and give it a go. But the only thing I found to work consistently, using those balls, was practice, practice, practice, or switching balls, which is not an option here.

Good luck. I'm sorry I can't share a solution but wanted you to know that you are not alone. I feel your pain. Smile

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Didn't the "Chef" cover this topic in "South Park"?
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls sticking in elevator move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL