The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Reselling DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2009-04-26 17:46, David Garrity wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 01:45, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
If you bought my DVD or one of my books, I have no problem whatsoever with you selling it. I don't have a problem with you, say, buying my DVD, finding some material you like, and selling it. Same for my books. I don't care if you sell them and continue to learn stuff you did in them.

I agree with Scott here, but I take it even one step further. If anything I learn from a book or DVD ends up in rotation in my show, I keep the book or DVD. If I should sell the book or DVD, the routine is out. I look at owning the book or DVD as the 'permission' to present that person's routine or work and if I don't 'own' or have that 'permission' I pull the piece from the show.

It's a small way for me to show support to the creators and hopefully help them get at least one more sale for their hard work!!

Sincerely,
David

Would you stop performing an effect if you made significant changes to method or presentation - made it your own so to speak?
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
"First Sale Doctrine"

The first-sale doctrine is a limitation on copyright that was recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1908 and subsequently codified in the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 109. The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy end once that copy is sold, as long as no additional copies are made. This doctrine is also referred to as the "first sale rule" or "exhaustion rule."

some of you guys gotta getta clue
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Reselling DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL