The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » McBride vs. Marvey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
The question was recently posed to me, who do you think is better; McBride or Marvey? I instantly replied McBride, but am interested in other opinions. What do you guys think?
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Hmmm, good question and I would still think McBride. McBride's manipulation act is a lot more entertaining then Marveys. Marvey was so boring on WGM.....

Lee
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
I'd agree. As a performer I think McBride is more of an entertainer. Marvey is good, real good, but I feel sometimes he can be a bit of a magicians magician. Trying to show all the clever stuff he can do, rather than trying to be as entertaining as possible.
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I really admire Jeff McBride's technical skill and he certainly puts a lot of thought into all areas of his magic. I'm less familiar with Peter Marvey as I've only really seen him perform 2 or 3 times, but he seems to have a different style.

I think to say one is better than the other woudl be difficult for me, as everyone is different.

Brian
Brian
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I would have to say Jeff McBride. His is an awesom manipulator and really enjoys his magic... which shows when he performs. Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
McBride, no contest.
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
I choosed Marvey. Too bad he DID NOT put his skill on the video so we can learn from his technique...

His open fingers card productions is so so so... magical. I have no clue how he did that.... I don't think even Jeff could do this technique...

Hengky
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
In my opinion this question is like:

What is better: Ice cream or steak ?

I like both.... icecreams and steak, tastes diferrent, but both is good.

Jeff and Peter are different too. And comparing don't have sense for me. Becouse they both are for me masters of magic.

delpfin
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I'm with Delphin in this debate, its like trying to compare milk chocolate to white chocolate - most people like both. Indeed they both have a different taste - but both are good in some way or another.

Work out the comparison for yourselves Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I really don't think that they are that much different and can really be compaired. We don't think like laymen so we don't notice that Marvey is very boring. I don't think he was taught that funny moves and long boring productions are bad. McBride is a show man that knows how to keep his crowd hooked and amazed throught his whole show. It is no contest on how great McBride is over Marvey but, they both are very skilled. I think Marvey would be better if had some creative people on his side.

Lee
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
I not say: "Nobody can compare they". I say: "comparing don't have sense for me".
I think, I'm beginer, not layer ... but no master. And for me Jeff and Peter are masters, and when I see one from they, I see very good magic. I see differents in they methods, style and other. For me Peter style likes more. But Jeff is graet artist too.

I not see sense in question "who is better", more sense has "who more likes for me".

In another: i see some days ago Tom Mulica seminar on Video and... for me this guy is very disgustingly. His jokes are not for me. But I do, some people likes this type of humor.
I see seminar with Serip too . Both (Serip and Mulica)work with cigaretes. I don't know who is better, but I do : Serip more likes for me, still Mulica technic look better.

And last words from me. I very like speaking abot magic, but english is not my native language. Forgive me, my grammar and others...

Best regards
delpfin
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
Vote for McBride!
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
McBride....all the way
Gonzo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Gonzo
Jeff McBride
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2003-05-11 10:02, zombieboy wrote:
The question was recently posed to me, who do you think is better; McBride or Marvey?

Better at what?

I think we need them both since neither one does what the other does. Both have clearly designed and scripted acts which they've sold and peformed around the world. Great to have them both since one doesn't do what the other does.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is not meant to belittle anyone or the initial post at all. However, I must say that a question like this serves no real purpose nor can it really honestly be answered.

The reason is that each magician has his own unique style of performance that works best for them in their target market and for their target audience. Both do very well and what they do with their manipulative magic works for them.

We can ask which performer we enjoy the most from a magician's standpoint, and that is just fine. That then just becomes a personal opinion as to what you enjoy watching more. However, I do not feel we can say who is better at what they do since it is like trying to compare apples to oranges. Each performer has a unique style that works for them in their situation.

The manipulator needs to learn the fundamentals of the art and acquire the tools of the trade. Once these are learned, then it is up to the manipulator to take those skills and use them in new and creative ways that works for them, their style, their character and their market they are working.

The skills and foundations are the same, but the level and creativity of performance varies greatly as it should. each manipulator should strive to take and push the foundations of what they know and use them to move themselves into different creative areas.

I feel both of them do this equally well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
In my opinion, both Jeff McBride and Peter Marvey are great. They have put in the time to be where they are. Both are unique in their own way.

Just like all of you - you guys are also great in your own way. My respect goes to everyone in the family of magic - everyone is trying their best. Let us salute to that.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would go with Jeff. Who is better than him with manipulation?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dynamike,answer to your question: JEFF SHERIDAN / MAHKA THENDO
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
What is this... Grudge Match or The Magic Café?

Marvey is Marvey.

McBride is McBride.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » McBride vs. Marvey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL