The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Scott F. Guinn's Marked for Death (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My new e-book on my quick and easy, do-it-yourself marked deck system is now available on the books page of my website. In addition to thoroughly explaining every detail of making your deck and learning the system, I give you fourteen really powerful effects using the deck.

I've been holding this back and frying laymen AND well-posted magicians for over a decade with it. Now I'm letting it go for $20. The e-book is very complete, with lots of photos. You'll have no trouble learning the system and the routines. The effects range from predictions to second sight, to locations, gambling effects, and even my take on a classic board game.

If you purchase this e-book and review it here (good or bad), I'll give you a ten dollar credit toward any downloads on my site!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
423 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Hi,

I'm in and bought it. As for a review, as I'm french this will be a difficult job for me but why not ?

Anyway I'm looking forward to read this.

Is your marking system centered or sideways on the cards ? I like very much the Boris Wild cards but they aren't cheap, so if you came up with a simple and clear system that everyone could be applying easily to any standard bicycle deck that would be great !

Best luck for your sells
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

The Wild System is very good, but as you mentioned, it's a bit pricey. Mine is quite different and uses completely different methods. All of the marks are along the border to make it easier to read the cards from a spread or fan, where you can't see the center. You can make the deck up in minutes and learn the system very quickly, as I give you memory hooks that you'll be able to easily recall. Plus, you almost certainly already have everything you need to put it together!

Plus, you get fourteen really strong routines. I'll bet a lot of you guys have spent more than twenty bucks on an ebook with less than 14 routines, so that alone makes it more than worth the asking price.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
423 Posts

Profile of mimo67
OK so I'm in for a little review (please don't be too critical on me, firtsly my native langage is french, and secondly it's my first review anyway ;-)

So I purchased this ebook yesterday : 20$ with an immediate delivery in my mailbox, great ! A first 10/10 !

The pdf file is a 66 pages ebook very nicely done, very professional, nice to read and with many photos to help for understanding.

I liked too the exercises to be familiar with the marking system.

So this is a 10/10 for the quality of the ebook, it couldn't be better !

I have to say that I didn't yet try the marking system Scott has came up with, because I'm not entirely convinced by it, not that it isn't a good system, but because as I'm french the mnemonics don't fit me at all, but this won't be the case for english speaking magicians, so I can't say much more about this.

I think it could be easily adapted... I'll have yet to try a sort of 'translation'.

The other point is that it certainly doesn't take long to mark a deck with this, but to be familiar to the marking system that would need a few hours of practise, it isn't for sure as easy to read as the Boris Wild system because you have to look for many possible places on the card, even if the markings are all sideways which is an excellent thing.

So it depends on the performers style and practice, I let someone else giving a note for the marking system ../10 ???

The other GREAT part of the book are the routines, and here again it's amazing ! 14 routines, a lot of revisited classics which is always very nice because those are great routines anyway but are indeed much stronger with a marked deck. Obviously the purchase of this ebook is recommended for anyone who uses a marked deck, you don't have to use the one Scott proposes if it doesn't fit your style or if you're not comfortable with (like me).

Here's the Table of Contents :

-----------------------------

FIRST WORD 4

INTRODUCTION TO THE MARKED FOR DEATH DECK 5

MARKED FOR DEATH ROUTINES 13

NEITHER VISUALLY NOR MENTALLY IMPAIRED 14

DON‘T FACE THE WORLD 17

DEADLY ESP 18

SIMPLE STABBING 20

ASSASSIN‘S ACES 21

MURDER AT THE BUGHOUSE 24

KILLER PATEO POKER 29

SLAUGHTER AT THE BORDER 32

TIME FOR THE KILL 35

A GRIM WAGER 40

FATAL VISION 41

FORECAST: FATALITY 45

HOMICIDE 51

APPENDIX 55

MARKING THE REST OF THE DECK 56

A DEADLY COMBINATION 60

ANNEMAN‘S ASSASSINATION 62

LAST WORD 64

INDEX OF SLEIGHTS 65
--------------------------

You can see how well the book is presented, the sleights are teached, the markings obviously, and all the routines, very detailed and clearly illustrated. I didn't read all of those by now (haven't had enough time for this !) but I can assure you they're worth the price of the ebook, very strong material.

Certainly most of the magicians know a lot of those in previous versions, but Scott has made a good choice with a nice variety of routines and improved all of those.
If you read the ToC you'll see by some names which original routines are improved here : Neither Blind Or Silly, OOTW, Annemans routine, etc.

So for a temporary note here I would give a good 9/10 for the routine part, a lot of excellent stuff for a nice price, that's a good deal you can make here.

Hopefully some other reviewers will give more accurate thoughts about this, but I'm very pleased with this purchase even if everything doesn't fit me, so I think for the others it would be even greater !

Sorry for my poor english, I hope you understood what I meant ;-)

Great job Scott, really ! I modestly highly recommend this eBook ... !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

That's a very nice review, and I appreciate your kind words. Thanks for taking the time to do it, and don't worry about your English--it is MUCH, MUCH better than my French!
My Lybrary Page
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
I've had this E-Book for a few weeks and I just had a chance to really sit down and read it. For those of you who use marked decks of any kind, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. Not only is Scott's marking system very easy and clever, his discussion on marking cards and different types of card backs will help you realize many variations & possibilities on marking cards and marked decks in general.

If you don't work with marked decks, I would still suggest picking this up. His discussion on "natural one-way" principals of standard decks, along with some of the effects that use the one-way principle, like "Slaughter at the Border", is worth the price of the E-Book.

There are numerous effects, I have paid a lot more for a lot less from other E-Books. Among some of my favorites are "Don't Face the World", a fantastic variation on Paul Curry's "Out of This World". It's a slick, very easy, very clean version of a classic. I also love his take on a stabbed card routine, "Simple Stabbing".

In the Appendix, he discusses further marking of the deck if you need to or want to, as well as combining marked decks & stacked decks. This is some great thinking and knowledge to add to your Magic Arsenal.

This is worth way more than the asking price and is absolutely worth adding to your library. Nice job Scott!

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8728 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Anything from Scott Guinn is worth having. His magic is clean, sharp and very clever stuff. He's been doing magic for decades and always brings you a wealth of experience in effects that are very doable and quite amazing. Smile I recommend his work without reservation. A+ Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I really appreciate it!
My Lybrary Page
gmarczewski
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of gmarczewski
"Marked for Death" is 10/10 + 10/10. The frst 10/10 is for a top notch book with outstanding killer effects the second 10/10 is for opening a whole new horizon in card magic by taking me away from my narrow thinking about card marking and being a catalyst for generating a load of new ideas & effects with different combinations and systems of card markings. This book is much more than a book with tricks using a marked deck.

I hope that Scott develops a dvd for Marked for Death

Geo
Coming back to magic
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Wow, thanks a lot, Geo! Much appreciated.
My Lybrary Page
gmarczewski
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of gmarczewski
I was out hunting for an ultrafine indelible pen for card marking. Sharpie has a new set of ultra fine indelible pens with one red retracable free available at Walgreen's. These pens make the marking easier to do, much more accurate and substantially faster. They are a perfect addendum to Scott's eBook "Marked for Death"

Geo
Coming back to magic
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Agreed. Also (and I think I say this in the book) the navy markers look MUCH better than the standard blue color Sharpies. Sadly, these have been discontinued, but I managed to snatch up a few dozen before they were totally sold out. If anyone would like one, you can order them from me on the "Other Items" page of my website.
My Lybrary Page
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I just picked this up taking advantage of mr guinns recent sale. although I respects everyones 10's I cant give it that. I'm actually a little disappointed in it. I was looking for a full deck marking system and one spot to look to see the marking. a few of the routines look promising but most of them are not me. I will most likely try to alter this marking system significantly to see if I can work out what I am looking for. by the way I also purchased Great Scott’s Symphony for Ring & String and that is excellent.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Hi ggarcia,

I'm sorry you didn't get what you were looking for. The best full-deck system around is the Ted Lesley/Boris Wild system. I suggest you look that up. That's not what my system is intended for. I don't need the whole deck to be marked for my applications. I'll happily refund your money.

Regards,

Scott
My Lybrary Page
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
388 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Mr Guinn,
no apologies necessary. not everything is for everyone. By the posts in this thread the system you came up with is greatly admired. The refund was also not necessary but it only proves that you stand by your products and it also shows your outstanding customer service.

I do have both the lesley/wild system but was looking for something different.

Thank you...
gino
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Scott F. Guinn's Marked for Death (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL