The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New business card design - Good or Bad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Hi everyone, I posted a business card template a few weeks ago and it needed a lot of changes, so here it is... I have a new webtemplate which I am currently editing...

Here is my card...

Front - http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4053/front3y.jpg
Back - http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7759/back3o.jpg

And my new webtemplate to go along with it, this is the raw,unedited version

Website - http://templates.entheosweb.com/template......329.html

Thanks again for all the help

Chris
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well, you have me confused. The back looks like it should be the front while the back seems redundant and doesn't tell me what type of business you are in. It looks like a calling card rather than a business card. What is it that makes you better than other magicians, you claim to be extraordinaire. That is better than those who claim to be 'master magicians' though. My unworthy opinion is make the back the front and make the back at least some detail as to what type of magician you are. For what it looks like now it might as well say "Hi, I'm a reallllly good magician, better than others, call me Chris!".

Is the template just an example of someone elses site? Either way I don't like it, print too small and why would titles be in English and the body of it in whatever that was?
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Hi santa, that is a template, I replace it with ym info, the body is something called loreum ipsum which is a latin webdesign language just showing that you can put text there
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
'ello Chris,

This all looks very pretty, but the card designed doesn't tell me anything unique about you. You say magician, and you have a hat and a wand. If I were an agent looking at this I'd think J.A.D.M. (Just Another D*** Magician).

In my personal opinion, the word "Extraordinare" doesn't tell me anything other than you think you're great. So what we're left with is a generic card that tells us nothing.

And I don't mean you have to list all kinds of junk on your card. You have to be different, which isn't easy, I admit. Your card has to say something about YOU specifically aside from "I do magic". A logo that matches your personality, a tagline, an appropriate, interesting graphic that hasn't been used by thousands of other magicians.

And your website does match your card, which is good because it matches, but its bad because it's equally as uninteresting and personalized. Even WITH all of your info put into it, I think it would be just as generic as the card.

It honestly feels like you found generic templates and plugged your name and info in them. If this is what you did... don't do that. Because it will look just like it and people are smart- they'll realize it.

If its not what you did and you created these on your own, then you need to put ALOT more personality into them. No one wants to be J.A.D.M.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I would agree about the generic comment.
I still don't know who you are, what you do, nor what benefits you have to offer me if I were a client. I would encourage you to think more on this aspect.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Make the back of your business card a mini- flier.

The Magician Extraordinaire text is a bit hard to read as it is smashed together, harder I dare say at actual business card size.

I prefer the graphic 3D look on the BACK to the similar graphic on what you call front.

I would move the contact info to what you call back, drop the magician extraordinare line, and on the back list your benefits and make it a mini flier.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I would drop the word "Extraordinaire" - it is pretty subjective, and not everyone will agree that you are...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank god that was Latin, I thought it was and it confused me as to why Latin would be on a site and I didn't know what else it could be.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Effective use of space on a card with good info (I hope Smile ) Might help give you some ideas.

See this thread

I use the card back to write on. I perform a mind reading stunt and p**k the info written on the card. Spectator keeps the card (and my info).

My posts and card are about 2/3 down the page.
The website is due for a complete re-vamp to match the card.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
A nice start... Remove the hat and add your photo!
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Here is my redo with the advice I have gotten

Front - http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8738/front3t.jpg
Back - http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9836/5final.jpg

Let me know what changes should be made, Curtis I am planning to have some promo shots done in the next 2 weeks hopefully

Chris
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Better. Not sure if the quote is needed.

One thing, and this is serious, smile in your pictures. The picture you put up before you looked like you were hating life and on your sites video you looked miserable as well. If you asked pros about what is one of the most important things you need to make a good impression and they will tell you a smile.
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
I agree with Magic of Curtis,

1. Have a picture of yourself. So IMPORTANT! You want to sell you!

My tips.

1. Too much information. just have Kids Shows - Private Parties - Corporate Functions.
2. I would lose the quote. Its good for a website, not for your card.
3. Just have where you work and book chris spiel.

Learn from my mistake - too much info is a bad thing. Simple is better.

3 Main things you want from a business card.

1. Name
2. What you do
3. Contact number/website

Hope I helped Chris.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I'm sorry, Chris, but after looking at your updated card, you still have a long way to go and might've taken a step backwards.

It went from a generic card to a cluttered, generic card. The back looks like a jumble of letters.

This may be a matter of opinion, but I don't think your business card should be a "mini flyer" at all. It should be a professional representation of who you are and what you do WITHOUT a lot of words. That's why getting rid of the generic stuff is key. I know its not easy, but visual representation is the important part of your business card.

And listing the type of events you do only limits you. Because if people see your card and it doesn't say "Bar Mitzfahs" or "Libraries" then they might say "Oh, he doesn't do those, don't bother calling him." You're a magician. Let them have the venue and then you can decide whether you'll be able to do it or not. (And do not think the line "and many more" fixes that. Because if it did, why bother putting it on the card?)

Finally, Curtis and I have two different opinions on this (and that's perfectly acceptable), but I don't think your picture on your business card will help you, unless you have a very distinct persona. A guy in a suit doing magic isn't very different, so a picture might not help you, at least not on your business card.

Chris, you're a young guy and have a chance to fix some really bad habits from the get go. I have seen folks in magic a long time who never learned the proper way to go about marketing themselves. I wish you the best on your journey with all this.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
That much upper case lettering, in that stylized font, is hard to read. Used mixed case, and use a font that is easier to read for long sections of copy.

Please, don't put that you do corporate shows and kids shows on the same card. It weakens you. Better off not to put what you do. Or have seperate cards.

If using both sides, the only thing you need to repeat is your name and number (and only if you want to).

On my card, I've got different photos on each side. Testimonials are on one side, along with audience photos. On the other side is my photo, name, website, phone, and a call to action (better if it talks about some sort of benefit to the customer)!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Notice Donald is smiling in his photo. Listen to these guys Chris, less is more and I like leaving the back open for writting on for effects.
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
The use of Photoshop's beveled feature for the text on the back of the card probably makes it harder to read. Particularly with smaller letters. Guessing those letters on the back are probably a font size of around 6 or 7?

A guideline might be to keep the back of the card to eight words or less.

Definitely agree with Donald's post not to mix "kids parties" and "corporate events". What you are saying is, "I'm hoping to get $2500 corporate bookings, but, when times are tough then heck I'm happy to do kids parties for $150."

What generally ends up happening is that you alienate yourself from both target markets. The corporate buyer or meeting planner wants to see that you specialize in corporate events. And, too, the Jane Smith and John Doe would also probably prefer hiring a childrens' entertainer who specializes in working with children.

I've also seen this on many magicians' websites. "We do corporate events, and birthday parties."

With websites and business cards both so relatively inexpensive these days, a great approach is to separate them and have separate marketing materials for both.

Rich
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
So, Would I be ok keeping the front and keep the back blank, keep the front and and limit the back to a call to action and my contact info, or start from scratch totally or something else?
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I like the revision of the front and don't like the back. Also I think some of the people commenting want the business card to do too much. What it needs is information on how to contact you. It is not a good device to do your selling job.

Gil
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
I got to say first of all , it is an awsome thing that you are asking so many questions and not getting defensive about the answers. Browsing around on here I noticed a lot of people ask things but don't really want to hear the truth. Good for you though for being sincere about wanting to make this the best you can. Now about the cards. I personally have never been a big fan of two sided cards. Done properly everything that needs to bee said can be done on one side. Why pay the extra money to have the other side printed. The way things are today you should cut back on what you can without skimping too much. Keep it top quality but don't add too many bells and whistles. My opinion is stay with one side.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New business card design - Good or Bad (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL