The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dracula and the sorority girl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I heard that this trick is on a Eugene Burger video, but don't know much about it. Does anyone know the effect?

Thanks
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I think it is called "Dracula and the Sorority Sisters." The effect and method are explained in one of Burger's books.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
Zombieboy-

The effect originally appeared in "Intimate Power", but, can now be found in "Mastering the art of Magic". It is a card effect where Dracula is the star. It is based on an effect by Dale Anthony called "Under Attack".

Hello Bill. Looking forward to seeing you and Alice at the Gathering this year.

Smile Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It's called Dracula and the Sorority Girls; it was in one of Burger's early books.
(And, yes, it's based on Under Attack).
More importantly, it's very dated! Ask most young women today what a sorority is and you'll be lucky to get a blank stare!
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I've never heard of it. Without reavealing secrets, can you tell me what the effect is?
:bat:
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I've read the effect, but not recently; I only post to point something out to Peter that he may not realize...

MTV has run, for the last 2 seasons, a
"reality television" show titled "Sorority Life" which follows young women as they pledge a sorority. The series was succesful enough to receive a spin-off this season entitled "Fraternity Life." Same concept, differently plumbing. I think that soroties are making a comeback (based on this and my personal exposure to sorority girls... sadly, their exposure to me is lacking!) Smile

Just wanted to drop that line... so... yeah... hehehe

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
205 Posts

Profile of Ronin
The effect/plot:

Magician introduces the tale of "Dracula and the Sorority Girls." A card is selected to represent Dracula (spectator selects a card and signs the name "Dracula" on its face). Dracula is impaled with a "silver stake" (thumbtack) on top of his "coffin" (the card box).

"A group of sorority girls" (the deck of cards) "are having a picnic in the woods. And one of the young ladies" (Queen of Hearts, which is removed from the deck and placed on the table) stumbles across Dracula's coffin and foolishly removes the spike. Dracula then "drains her of her life's blood" (Queen of hearts is turned face-up: the face of the card is now faded, almost blank).

Dracula jumps into the center of the picnickers and begins "cutting up" (Dracula card is mixed into the deck).

The sorority girls' housemother, Mrs. Van Helsing, replaces the silver spike in the coffin (tack is stuck back into the card box). Dracula lures the entire sorority on top of his coffin (deck is placed on top of card box). Mrs. Van Helsing saves the day by casting a magic spell, and Dracula is impaled again (Magician tips the card box; the deck spills off the box, except for the signed "Dracula" card, which is now re-impaled on the tack on top of the card box).
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Magic_Mailman
View Profile
New user
Portland,Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of Magic_Mailman
This sounds like a cool effect!
Smile
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Sororities and Greek life in general are just as prevalent on today's college campuses as ever. In fact a new book detailing some of their darker sides is about to hit the press and is already stirring quite a storm.
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
Hi,

Why does it have to be Sorority girls & Dracula? It could be a group of freshers, it could be at a summer school, a company outing, whatever. Let your mind wander and separate the mechanics from the patter to write a story that fits you. Easy to say but hard to do. I know, I'm trying to turn a card effect by Oritiz into a bizarre effect. Ho hum back to work.
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
I believe this effect is also on Eugene Burger's edition of the Steven's Greater Magic Video Library video series as well.

David
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
While creativity should always be encouraged, let's not through out the baby with the bath water.

The title Dracula and the Sorority Girls is an arresting title. It serves as an amazing 'hook' as the lead in for the story. There are aesthetic qualities in that line that one must consider before abandoning, I think.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
This sounds like a hoot! I must learn it! I must, I tell you!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
I take your point, but here in the UK Sorority Girls means nothing. Hence changing the setting to suit you and your audience. I always thought that you should try to make the magic yours and not just repeat verbatim the standard patter.
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dracula and the sorority girl (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL