The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Brainstorming ideas for comedy branded (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ladd
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Ladd
Hey I read some funny ideas being thrown around on this forum and I wanted to ask for some help with my close-up routine.

I have been performing the effect branded (By Tim Trono) with a comedy spin in my walk-around. If your not familiar with branded, it's a card trick where the selected card ends up in a blister shape on the magician's finger. I tell the spectator that I will burn myself, and the pain will increase my awarness of the world, which will allow me to read their mind. I then burn myself with a lighter wince and make a pain sound, then yell out what I think they are thinking. I like to yell out two funny "thoughts", then reveal the blister.

What I'm looking for is funny ideas for things that a spectator could be thinking. I usually just make something up on the fly, but I'm looking for some good set lines. Any ideas? What are funny things people could be thinking?

Thanks!
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Some initial thoughts...

The Masochists Anonymous meeting was last night???
Who's a flaming idiot???
Burning pain??? Yikes- herpes!!!
Someone misread my mind. I was hoping for a pair of hotties, not this...
Cannibals aren't born; they're made....
That's not how to flick your Bic!
Who requested the finger food?
That reminds me - Bad Finger is getting back together again!
What a lousy E.T. impression...
Watch! Now this finger is lighter than the others!
This used to be a pain in the a**. It's since moved to my finger.
Good help is so hard to find these days...

Out of curiosity, what lines have you used thus far?
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
Ladd
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Ladd
Thanks jocdoc! I really like the "now this finger is lighter than the others."

The lines I have been using aren't really lines, just observations I made about the spectators that I know they would agree with. It could be a sports jerzey they're wearing or whatever they're drinking. I try to get them to feel like they've made the joke. For example, this guy Nick had downed a few beers. I tried to read his mind, turned to his buddies and said "I'm sorry it's hard to get a reading from Nick becasue all he's thinking about is how much he loves Budwiser." He admited this was true with a big smile on his face, and one of his buddies chimed in that that's what he was thinking of too. They all thought it was really funny.

I didn't intend for the routine to be that funny, but everytime I go to burn myself, wince, and yell out something that they might be thinking it seems to get a laugh. I can't always count on someone loving budwiser or being a die hard sports fan (apparently he WAS thinking Go Blue Devils!).

Thanks for the help jocdoc, and I'm looking for anymore funny things people could be thinking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Brainstorming ideas for comedy branded (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL