The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Black TT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
This isn't for me, but I have a really good African American friend who is VERY interested in starting magic. He wants a black TT, but he isn't able to find one. Any idea or places on where to find them?
Jack Of Hearts!
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Hi Daniel,

I've never seen a commercially available TT that matches anyone's skin color. For most uses of a TT, it doesn't matter because, if it's properly handled, no one will see it anyway.

However, it's hard to believe that, even if the color is reasonably close to your skin tone, your TT doesn't stick out like a ... well ... like a sore thumb. The answer, of course, is to buy one and paint it.

What kind of paint? It depends on whether the TT is plastic, rubber or metal. Ask for advice at a hobby shop, crafts store or hardware store.

Congratulations on helping a friend to get into the world's greatest hobby.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sid is right, a TT should never be seen in performance anyway.
That aside, FINALLY, there is a black TT on the market; most larger dealers should carry it.
And I'll second Sid's final sentence!
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Here's a link to a dealer that carries it.

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Accessories/AC21.htm
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
I third that last sids' last sentence.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
pasteboardforbrains
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
113 Posts

Profile of pasteboardforbrains
I like that last sentence too (I'm no. 4)

I think it would be fun to get a differently colored TT as a challange, to see how well I can handle it.
Parker Caldwell

sigh... nothing to quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My teacher, Cal Emmett used a metal TT with no paint on it at all, just highly polished aluminum. Yet he could work with it as well as he could with any other one. I inherited it when he passed away.

Nobody needs to know that you have one on.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
I am whitish in colour and I have always looked for the right colour T-T to use.

BUT, I have a friend (beige coloured too) who owned a Magic Shop and he would perform most of the effects with a T-T that was BLACKENED WITH A SHARPIE FELT TIP PEN. (It was the rubbery kind.) He gave it to me as a remminder that it is really our attitude that sells the effect. (He also beleives he wills people not to see it.)

I have learned that I don't need to over prove my fingers and hand empty. That will only invite them to be suspicious and look too closely. If you're going to shove it in their face, then they are going to see it. Just act naturally, but yes you should keep the end facing forward as much as possible.

For some effects it should never even be seen. Hense the use of a black tip for me to practice and teach me.

I've used two tips before, (just for magicians) one over the other, to perform a bill exchange. When my fellow Magi said good use of the T-T, I just removed the outer one and showed it empty. Then I just replaced it back over the full one.

They didn't see it because, when I remove it, they weren't looking for a tip anymore. We know about them and we tend to see them, because we are aware they exist and we're looking for them.

I hope the new politically correct T-T's come in different sizes too!!! Have fun.
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
My wise magic teacher once showed me an effect. He showed both hands empty, then proceeded to make a silk vanish. this was when I was a newbie to the ways of magic.

I knew from reading the magic periodicals and catalogs that described a "New realistic looking flesh colored TT". So I asked him to show me the TT.

He did. It was painted a bright RED!!

He reminded me that to perfectly do the routine the TT should never be seen. If you are that confident with a red TT, you can do wonders with a regular one.

By the way, he was black and he did own a painted one, but he used both.

I'll never forget that day.

S. Patrick
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
you can buy a thumb tip from theses guys http://www.cards4magic.co.uk it is called the Stealth Tip, and it is painted in camoflauge colours! whilst at a convention i picked it up and asked the shop keeper what was the point of it,he explained it could be used just as a normal one without being spotted, my response to this was "Yeah Right" he performed the vanishing silk with it and i could have sworn he was using a normal tip he finally produced the silk as a nonverbal "told you so!"

I was so embarrased! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Black TT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL