The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you perform for "cool guys" ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I'm taking computer networking courses in the evenings. 15 people, all male. Four of us in our 40's the rest are 18-20 "too cool for school" dudes.

I got a gasp or two out of MB's Crimp Change, so that was fun.
But some of my other pocket tricks like $2 Window, Color Changing Knives, were a no-go.
I think YouTube has really desensitized people to magic.

When you guys think of a pocket trick (I don't know card sleights) that you want to knock out a skeptic, what comes to mind?
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Don't try to knock out skeptics. You are wasting your time and theirs. They do not derive entertainment from our art form. Do, however, make certain your asesment of them is accurate. Honestly, they sound like the kind of guys who would really get off to complicated flourishes. Waste of your time if you ask me, but you do what you feel you need to do.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Not everything will be WOW.
Some impromptu tricks I've used are
Pen thru Bill (Impromptu),
Coin to Pen Cap,
Traveling Cash,
Recap,
A Questionable Trick,
variations of coins across.

They don't always get gasps but then not everyone is a magic enthusiast.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I think a good sucker trick is a nice ice breaker -- it depends on how you play it though... don't be a jerk and generally people will get it and probably enjoy it.

Once you get them on your side 'let them in on the secret' of a monte routine or the shell game.

Mentalism might also be a way to go.

It seems to me that a lot of the 'too cool' crowd think that everything in magic is based on gimmicks but if you show that you can do 'real' magic with items that are inspectable and ungimmicked first, you can ring in whatever you want later and you'll be a miracle worker.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
MaxiL
View Profile
New user
Sweden
19 Posts

Profile of MaxiL
Many times I do it like this: I give away I "small" secret and than tells them that if you practice you will be able to do stuff like this, and then I do something similar but that uses another method. This usely impress them.

Max
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Try "Out Of This World", that one has worked for me and I perform for a pretty rough crowd. It can be inspected. I also have a trick called "Pen-Sation" which I've revieced incredible reactions to."Stolen Cards" is another one that comes to ind. Also can be inspected. All are VERY easy to do. I've tried to hit them with the "Big Ones" and have realized that the simple, almost self-working ones work the best. Let me know if you want more, I have a huge array of self-working tricks that get great reactions......But please don't forget that presentation is so, so important- with ANY trick.
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
I would like to share something here, I´m just 37 but time has shawn me one thing or two specially about performing for real people...

In my country we have two kinds of peoples: The extreme believer and the informed skeptic.
The extreme believer is a very religious or supestitious person and you have to be VERY carefull while performing for them; if the effect is too strong, they will think you have a pact with the Devil, BUT REALLY!!!

In the other hand, the Informed Skeptic lives in the biggest cities and "knows" how "everything works", very tough guy...

Here´s how I work with them: I recall a story on the new testament about Jesus (I would NEVER compare myself to him and specially in front of anybody I´m performing for but this story will help a lot to get the point here)In this story Jesus is in his home place BUT NOBODY EVEN HIS BROTHERS WOULD BELIEVE IN HIM so the author of the testament says he barely could heal a couple of ill men my putting his hands on their heads and that he was not able to work any of his other great miracles there due the this people´s lack of feith!

So, whenever I get to any place and someone comes to me and goes "I was told you´re a magician, why don´t you show us anything?" I immediately try to find out two things: A)Would this people contribute in some way on me having future bookings? B)Are this people challenging me?

If I find out they are just challenging me and there won´t be any profit from this encounter I ask them whether they believe or not if there is any magic in the world or if magic can be created by a human being, their answer will be negative and I will immediately say something by the following line: Well I have learned that magic is something that just happens, I don`t make it happen and it need feith and it also should bring people enjoyment...if you don`t believe in it it won`t bring any joy and it won`t just happen, so I am sorry, your lack of feith will not let my magic happen right now...

For the extreme believer I Only perform when I am working and I normally try to make them feel responsible for the magic...

So, in short, I reserve my magic for people that are likely to ENJOY it and have a good time and I NEVER do and effect just "as is" I allways try to illustrate a point, a story a principle of life, etc. I NEVER, EVER perferm my magic to make people believe in it. I am not a preacher of magic! If they don`t believe in magic, they will not enjoy any type of magic... DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, MAN.

At least that is what I have been taught by Alexander DeGrandi and Eugene Berger and has worked for me so I`m sharing it here with you...hope it helps!

Regards,

Rey.
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
gr8fl1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gr8fl1
If they do not appreciate what you do, then don't do anything for them. FOcus on the networking stuff. It can get pretty confusing!

If you have any side questions on networking, pm me. I am a net admin and do that stuff for a living. Of course, it is just a thing to pay the bills until my magic takes off. =D
valueduser
View Profile
New user
Batavia, ny
77 Posts

Profile of valueduser
Crazy man's handcuffs.
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
There are some people you just Can't do magic for,.. no matter how good they are. I usually recognize this on the first trick and then excuse myself,.. instead of trying to impress them and waste my energy and my time.. I just move on. sounds like this might be that kind of crowd.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Generally I set them on fire

after the fire goes out anything is "cool"

Instead of thinking of a good "trick" how about a great presentation?

You may consider C.H.I.P. and rework the story to what is going on in class?
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There is a version of Kenton Knepper's truly brilliant routine Kolossal Killer called Heirloom. Set it up in your wallet and it goes everywhere with you. A truly scary bit of 'psychic' magic. I have yet to see anyone who is not wowed by this routine.

Best,
Brad Burt
David White
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of David White
A couple of people mentioned it, but attitude will go a long way with the cool guys.
rickyhmltn
View Profile
New user
USA
66 Posts

Profile of rickyhmltn
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 17:40, mitchb2 wrote:
I'm taking computer networking courses in the evenings. 15 people, all male. Four of us in our 40's the rest are 18-20 "too cool for school" dudes.

I got a gasp or two out of MB's Crimp Change, so that was fun.
But some of my other pocket tricks like $2 Window, Color Changing Knives, were a no-go.
I think YouTube has really desensitized people to magic.

When you guys think of a pocket trick (I don't know card sleights) that you want to knock out a skeptic, what comes to mind?

Well I'm 29, but I can closely identify with people around 18-19 years old. Most of my friends are mid 20s 24-26 and I've taken some college courses (networking/cisco) and also run into people in this age group. I don't think Youtube is as much to blame as a lot of people seem to think. I don't know of anyone that personally uses youtube for magic exposure except people who have a passing interest in learning it.

Anyhow, I think big names like Criss Angel build up such an expectations to people this age group that changing color knives is just bland to them. Obviously presentation and the individual play a big part in this, and there are exceptions to the rule. Gender and age plays a part in what magic I show someone. To me I find that the sponge ball sleight of hand work good on males this age range, and things like the three card monte, or the Raven, or PK item through bottle type magic.
lewisswiresmagic
View Profile
New user
London
35 Posts

Profile of lewisswiresmagic
Im 21 and I have the opposite, I feel comfertable performing to the 18-28 range, without blowing my own trumpet, I feel because of my personality I can easily relate to the spectator of that age, I recently had a family party to perform at and after the young kids went off, the adults asked to see some magic... the only way I feel that I can relate with the 40+ crowd, is by performing mentalism and I do get slightly uptight.
Does anyone else experience this?
However, dealing with the cool kids is simple! Buy the Heckler DVD, drop in some witty remarks without coming across brash and knock em dead, without card sleights, crazy mans handcuffs is always a winner, the raven seems to impress because it is so visual and learn maybe a few simple card effects (i.e spectator cuts the aces)
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Extreme Burn.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I wouldn't even worry about those who think that Criss Angel does "real" magic. They think that playing WOW for hours each day qualifies as a real job. These people have no money! They can't afford to hire you. Why try to impress them?
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I agree with Alan Smile

But for those special moments, I wold say an invisible deck would be the answer.

Mike
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
I have a few guys at work that believed Chris Angel did real magic. I have convinced them that it wasn't the case, and now have a group of guys I can show some magic tricks to.

I'm going to have to cut them off though. They constantly pester me with, "How did you do that" and "Show me how you did it" until I can get away. Luckily they have very short attention spans and forget to ask until the next time I do a trick for them. Yup, definitely going to have to cut them off.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out" ~Bertrand Russell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you perform for "cool guys" ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL