The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best "Deal" You Ever Got? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just got it!

Sears. 'Element' 32" HD LCD TV.

Picture as good as a Samsung and sound that surpasses most other brands by a mile.

Looked at TVs in numerous stores and tested many brands...then hit Sears and saw this set at $399!!!! Hello? It is AWESOME in performance and the personal settings allow for many nice touches. It even came with a nice big Screw Driver (for base attachment).

Can't beat the bargain.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Nice! This doesn't compare but I got my wife a replacement TV, same size and all that as Dougs, from evil Walmart. They didn't have the one I wanted so they sold us on another one, Sony I think, and when they rang me up the price was $60 more than what as on the display so they dropped it down. When I got home it was a better TV than what we all thought it was so I saved $60. I still paid more than Doug did though. Some day my wife will let me touch it.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
How did I never see this fun thread?

My best deal ever (and I am an auction junkie) was actually buying "Creative Magic" portions when they went out of business!

After I sold all the stuff I did not want, I ended up with 6 sets of "Victory Cubes" (3 Dice and 3 Plain) a "Cube Squared", "Shadow Tent", "B-Screens", "Invisible Paint", "Bigger Wands", "Full Set of Pandora Bags including GIANT bag", "2 Change Caps", "Helmet Head Twister", "Random Fate", and DOZENS of assorted "Flash Card" decks ALL FOR FREE!!!!!!

It's not the most money I have ever made on a deal, but it is by MILES AND MILES the MOST FUN I have ever had on a deal! (Thank you Brian and Rebecca)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Years ago I went into Sears with our three children to buy something in the electronics department: a clock radio or something. The person in queue ahead of us was buying a Sony receiver and speaker set: two tower speakers, a central speaker, and two back speakers. The price should have been $600 - $800, but when the salesman rang it up it came back at like $200. He retried it a few times and it was always $200. He told the customer that if that's the price they had in the computer, that's the price he would pay. Not his fault if someone put the wrong price in the computer.

We came home with a $600 - $800 receiver/speaker set for $200. And a clock radio.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2009, S2000magician wrote:
Years ago I was out shopping with my kids: shoes at Big 5, then Sears to replace a defective radio. When we got to Sears we were waiting to talk to the salesman, who was helping a customer with a Sony receiver / speaker set. The price tag showed something around $600, but when the salesman rang it up on the register it came up at $250. He phoned someone "downstairs" and was told, apparently, that if it comes up at $250 he had to sell it for $250.

After we got the radio replaced we drove home and I asked my wife if she'd like a $600 receiver / speaker system for $250. She said that she would, so we drove back to Sears and bought it; they still hadn't fixed the pricing error in their system.

Then there was the time that I got a $800 clutch replacement for $295 . . . .
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2021, Animated Puppets wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2009, S2000magician wrote:
Years ago I was out shopping with my kids: shoes at Big 5, then Sears to replace a defective radio. When we got to Sears we were waiting to talk to the salesman, who was helping a customer with a Sony receiver / speaker set. The price tag showed something around $600, but when the salesman rang it up on the register it came up at $250. He phoned someone "downstairs" and was told, apparently, that if it comes up at $250 he had to sell it for $250.

After we got the radio replaced we drove home and I asked my wife if she'd like a $600 receiver / speaker system for $250. She said that she would, so we drove back to Sears and bought it; they still hadn't fixed the pricing error in their system.

Then there was the time that I got a $800 clutch replacement for $295 . . . .

So . . . I remembered the details fairly well . . . but didn't remember that I had already replied 11 years ago.

Sigh.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The one that comes to mind... some years back we were in NYC and got "day of" tickets for Phantom of the Opera, someplace back in the orchestra. So we get to the theater and the usher takes one look and asks if we'd like to sit in a box. Of course we said sure. So he takes us down the side aisle and to a box house left, right by the stage. It was awesome. For me, as a theatrical designer, it was major cool to see it all up close.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
I have three that stand out: I met a lady selling her husband's magic collection, we began talking, and she showed me a collection of tarot cards he had bought for her. I had no idea of the value of any deck, but she wanted $10 apiece for them. I picked out a deck I liked (based on looks) and bought it. I opened it, looked at it, and put it up. Two years later I looked it up on the internet and discovered that unopened it was selling for $300-$400. Since mine was opened, the value was down, so I sold it for $200.

Second one was a book that I bought at a thrift store for .50 cents. "Rage" by Richard Bachman, 1st edition UK edition. In great shape. Read it several times, then found out the value was in the hundreds of dollars due to Richard Bachman being Stephen King writing incognito. He pulled the book due to the disturbing content. I still have it.

Lastly, what I consider the best deal I have gotten was when I contacted a creator here on the Café about an effect he was selling. It was a little out of my price range but I told him I would save up and get it. We communicated back and forth for several days about family and life issues (on both our sides). Several days later he asked for my address and a week later the effect came in the mail as a gift. It is the one thing I use that hardly anyone else has in my area (he lives and creates overseas), and I use it often to great reactions.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
About 12 years ago we bought a Toyota Highlander SUV. It was a dealer we'd worked with before, but had changed owners, and they were being kinda sleazy (high pressure tactics, wanting to us in house finance, etc). We ended up getting an okay deal. Fair...but not great.

4 years later the Highlander blew a head gasket. Was going to require huge amount of work to repair, with an estimated hefty $2,0000 bill to go along with it. We'd moved to a new city by this time and took it to dealer there. Super service guy there dug around on his time off, and found that original dealer had buried an extended warranty into our purchase. We never knew about it. It was a couple hundred dollars he'd buried under service fees.

So we got the engine rebuilt, and a few other items taken care of...about $3K of work for a few hundred dollars the original deal thought the were ripping us off with.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best "Deal" You Ever Got? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL