The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Birds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hello

I have just bought a very nice dove box that can have my very fat Guinea Pig in it nicely but, I was thinking, are there any other birds that could go in like a Cockatiel? It is a big bag in the box but would a Cockatiel get stressed?
Luke Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Luke, great question. It depends a lot on the bird. Introduce the bird to the box slowly. Don't just put him in there and expect him to handle it "like a pro".

After a week or so of getting him used to the box watch his reactions. Some birds handle new situations better than others. I have two Goffins Cockatoos they are ex-show birds. They completely freak out when there are a large number of people around. (the very reason they are EX-show birds)

I have seen other Goffins handle the same situation much, much better. Each bird and animal has their own personality and feelings. Respecting them is a very important piece of the puzzle.

The best way to try and read stress levels is to observe the animal, normally in a comfortable environment. Then observe the animal with the box introduced. Notice the changes in it's behavior.

Initially, only allow short visits to the box. Visits can become longer as the comfort levels increase. If the animal doesn't become comfortable, you might have a high strung bird. He will never be able to perform with the box.

If that happens, are you willing to still care for the animal?

That is a question you must answer.

All the Best,
Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Birds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL