The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Odd One Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Machette
View Profile
New user
Australia
17 Posts

Profile of Machette
Which of these is the odd one out?

Excuse
Use
Present
Prevent
Wound
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Prevent.

I always find these questions interesting. Not because of the clever criteria by which the pariah is identified, but because there is generally no objective reason that those are the appropriate criteria.

For example, one could say that "Excuse" is the odd one out because it is the only word whose first letter cannot be written (i.e., printed, as a capital) in a single, uninterrupted stroke without retracing.
Machette
View Profile
New user
Australia
17 Posts

Profile of Machette
Correct!

I agree that these questions can have many answers but I find that that makes for an interesting puzzle. Sorting through all the possibilities to find the one correct one.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Exactly. Sort of like answering an essay question: it doesn't so much matter what position you take as long as you can support it with well-reasoned arguments.

By the way, shall we tell them why prevent is correct, or let 'em stew about it themselves for a while?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's the only one of the five that is a God-awful defensive strategy in football.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Machette
View Profile
New user
Australia
17 Posts

Profile of Machette
I think we wait for a while before we tell them why. Let a few other people have a go.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I think I know why it's prevent, but having heard various sports commentators, I'm not sure it is, or will be for long exactly correct.

The only time I've heard of a prevent defence was on Roger Waters album "Amused to death" - fortunately I don't have to endure American football matches being beamed into my home ;-).
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I think it has to do with pronounciations.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
mgclmystrymn
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mgclmystrymn
Different pronunciations depending on what part of speech the word is used for. The verb and noun forms are pronounced differently. Prevent is a verb only, unless it is used in combination with another word e.g. "prevent defense" (American football). In that case the pronunciation is the same.
Bob
Machette
View Profile
New user
Australia
17 Posts

Profile of Machette
Correct!
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 19:13, S2000magician wrote:

I always find these questions interesting. Not because of the clever criteria by which the pariah is identified, but because there is generally no objective reason that those are the appropriate criteria.

It is the same with number sequences, where the next in turn is asked for.
actually you can just name ANY arbitrary number and you can prove it is next in sequence (by easily building a continuous function going through all the values in sequence).

ND
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 07:34, Nir Dahan wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 19:13, S2000magician wrote:

It is the same with number sequences, where the next in turn is asked for.
actually you can just name ANY arbitrary number and you can prove it is next in sequence (by easily building a continuous function going through all the values in sequence).

Exactly!

I recall in a calculus text out of which I taught there was an example of a sequence that began 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, . . . . They gave either three or four formulae for the general terms of sequences; all would produce the same four terms shown as the first four terms of the sequence, but the fifth terms were all different; further, some were convergent and others were not.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-03-07 14:41, mgclmystrymn wrote:
Prevent is a verb only, unless it is used in combination with another word e.g. "prevent defense" (American football). In that case the pronunciation is the same.
Bob

Maybe there's a local usage thing at issue here, but I'm accustomed to hearing the verb "pre-VENT" and the football term "PRE-vent"
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Machette
View Profile
New user
Australia
17 Posts

Profile of Machette
Yeah, I've never heard it as PRE-vent but then again I'm from Australia and I don't watch much football.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Odd One Out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL