The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » How about Siegfried And Roy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Wow I just finished watching Siegfried and Roy's finale magic show on 20/20! Man what a great job they did. I was so proud of both of them and I just had to say something here about it.

I first saw Siegfried and Roy in the 1980's. They were the ones who ignited my magic curiosity. I bought a little magic kit from the store outside their show at the Frontier in Las Vegas. I've never looked back. My love for magic has grown and grown. Like I said before, only my love for God and my love for my wife Amy come before my love for magic.

I wish somehow I could thank Siegfried and Roy for the contribution they made in my life and I'm sure the lives of other magicians the world wide. I was amazed that night I watched them for the first time and again they amazed me tonight.

Is this the last show for Siegfried and Roy? I don't know. But as Roy has shown all of us----there's a lot of magic still left in this world---and in Siegfried and Roy!

Great job guys!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
DOGGONE... I was so wrapped up in watching the Laker basketball game I forgot to watch 20/20. I heard S&R were only on for six minutes. True? What did they do and was Mantecore on with them? At the World Magic Seminar, Wednesday, when Siegfried and Royh present their awards, it was Siegfried and Lynette. Roy was said to have been too tired to attende, following the taping of their show. BTW it was $25,000 per table to be in the audience and it was sold out, raising a few Million for the charity.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
By "six minutes," are you referring to the performance S&R gave at the charity benefit or the 20/20 segment? 20/20 devoted an entire hour to them. Some of the material was from a previous news journal segment produced in 1996, and of course there was a lot of footage from their "Beyond Belief" show at the Mirage, but there were new interviews and a lot of other new footage as well.

During one of the interviews, Siegfried said that their benefit performance would be about 10 minutes in length.
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I wish they would release a DVD of their full Vegas show Just so I can see it again
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
685 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
So now Siegfried & Roy are consigned to the 'Magicians of Old' thread?! That make me feel VERY old!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
518 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
I must say I was brought to tears few times during this 20/20 episode. Roy Horn has got to be one of the Bravest men on this planet. I mean he overcame incredible odds to walk talk and jsut keep breathing and he ha such a great spirit about him. Its amazing whenyou think about the fact that he could be doing hte hwole oh poor me thing and deservedly so, He sits there and says I will eb back to dancing and all I used to do ina year. Its all positive! Teh guy is amazing! I have so much respect for that. The world would be a better place if we all took a page from his book. GO ROY you are an inspiration!
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Leslie: I thought about that too when I wrote what I did. I decided on this location because to me it is one of the most prestigious places on the board. I too was moved by the courage shown by Roy and then the fine performance they gave together at the end. And yes Mantecore did perform with them.

I decided on this spot not to make anyone feel old---just proud. Proud that we belong to an art that attracts such showmen as Siegfried and Roy.

Good magic to all,

Eric
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
This is not the end of Siegfried and Roy, farewell performance or not. If Roy is going to be dancing next year, then I believe that they will begin performing again, even if it is just a once in a while occasion.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Quote:
On 2009-03-07 02:43, Bernie Balloons wrote:
I wish they would release a DVD of their full Vegas show Just so I can see it again

There is a three volume dvd ( 2 dvds) set of Siegfried and Roy put out 10 years ago or so.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Amazon has some dvds of Siegfried and Roy.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I too was touched and selfishly wanted more. Siegfried said that you had to reinvented himself for this performance. I guess that meant he also had to move at Roy’s pace. It was sad to see this once vibrant duo moving at that speed. I know they had to wear the masks to make the switch, but I would have loved to see those faces one more time.

What a gem they are.
magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Is there any video of them doing the "Mascot Moth". I have heard they performed it, but I haven't seen it in "the collection"
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I know that Doug Henning did it, but I am not aware that S & R did it as well.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Doug Henning did the Mascot Moth in his Broadway show: "Merlin." Unfortunately there does not seem to be any footage of Merlin except for a brief bit they did on the Emmy awards show.

It is wonderful that Roy had recovered a least in part and I hope that they will continue to make appearances and do a bit of magic. It is sad that the vibrant and energetic S & R of old are probably gone forever. But then we have a wealth of young magicians and new superstars of magic will emerge periodically.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
But, none with that same zeal, God help us.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I was wrong: there is a very brief clip of Doug Henning doing the Mascot Moth! It was a TV commercial made for Merlin and it's near the end of the You Tube clip. Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsX43madhDQ
Thanks to Michael Grandinette for sending me this.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Great find Dennis (and Michael)!

That Mascot Moth eh?.....as close to real magic as it gets for laymen?.....probably.

One could almost wish they didn't know the workings just to enjoy watching it with "fresh" eyes.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Yeah, it does look like real magic. David Devant was sure a genius.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
That's as amazing today as it was back in Devant's time.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Think of what Jarret did with that principle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » How about Siegfried And Roy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL