The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft and Lassen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
johnsanders
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of johnsanders
I'm a happy customer. I ordered the Morgan dollar 3CM and Dean Dill set on Jamie's website and he was back to me in 1 business day. Great product and he must have some spare time or overstock now because I received both products one week after ordering.

John Sanders
John Sanders ---*
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I've purchased several items from Todd and have called him on several occasions as well. He took time to answer all my questions, never made me feel like I was taking up his time, and created my gaffs exactly the way I described. I can't imagine being more pleased with any other gaffs. It is my impression that he would much rather talk to his customers than reply to emails.

Regards, Steve
Paris
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
112 Posts

Profile of Paris
I attempted to have a set of the UWC made by Todd. It was impossible. I called Jamie Schoolcraft and he was unable at the time to get the copper coins of equal size of a morgan dollar. I spoke with Roy in Canada. Very nice to talk to. Always available by both telephone and Email. We worked out an order. He made me a Set of the UWC with morgan silver dollars and Pakastani Rupe. Very nice set. My only critasism is the shell and the coin fit is not as tight as I would like. The shells and inserts all are interchangeable. But, they could be a tighter fit. Overall I am happy with the purchase.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Purchasing from Todd is FAR from impossible-
Over the last 9 months or so I have purchased:
Walking Liberty shell set
Walking Liberty gravity flipper
Walking liberty copper/silver set
Morgan Triple Threat
UWC set w- extra coins
custom sun/moon set w- extra coin
Boston Box
CSB set- Morgan dollar size
pending order: Slippery Sam, expected next week...

All you have to do is pick up the phone and talk to the man...
Once you have spoken with him, verify details by email-
Doesn't hurt to watch his blog for what he's currently producing...

IMHO, WELL worth the effort for what I feel is a better quality gaff.

-A
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 07:01, Paris wrote:
I attempted to have a set of the UWC made by Todd. It was impossible. I called Jamie Schoolcraft and he was unable at the time to get the copper coins of equal size of a morgan dollar. I spoke with Roy in Canada. Very nice to talk to. Always available by both telephone and Email. We worked out an order. He made me a Set of the UWC with morgan silver dollars and Pakastani Rupe. Very nice set. My only critasism is the shell and the coin fit is not as tight as I would like. The shells and inserts all are interchangeable. But, they could be a tighter fit. Overall I am happy with the purchase.

Typical. Can't get it fast enough, or not willing to get on a list and wait like the rest of us, so you go around to the other makers and ask them to make a knock-off. And I'm sure the others were MORE than willing to make it, (if they could just get the coins). Where are the ethics police on this one? Lassen comes up with all this great stuff for the magic community and this is how he gets treated...repeatedly.

Glad you are happy with your, by your own admittance, shabby knockoff of a great gimmick. I love my real UWC and the fit is a dream on all the coins.
Paris
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
112 Posts

Profile of Paris
First of all. You said it was a shabby knockoff. Not me. I said I was pleased with my purchase. So what kind of problem to you have to make such a interpretation. Second, it was my intention to purchase from Todd. I made a good effort. Phone calls and Emails. The Emails went unanswered. You can debate who makes the best gaffs, and who has the ultimate right to produce such products. All I was looking for was a good product in a reasonable time and confirmation that it would be produced in a that time.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Paris,

You asked somebody else to produce a Lassen gaff set. This might be convenient for you, but it isn't fair to the originator.

You could apply your flawed logic to almost any exclusive prop, from Dean's Box to Multi-Dimensional. But I hope you don't.

Jerry
smartboysports
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartboysports
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 18:21, Paris wrote:
First of all. You said it was a shabby knockoff. Not me. I said I was pleased with my purchase. So what kind of problem to you have to make such a interpretation. Second, it was my intention to purchase from Todd. I made a good effort. Phone calls and Emails. The Emails went unanswered.

Man, I wish I had your morals... and the right people to knock off others' products.
Wow, I'll never have to worry about limited editions, sold out items, or copyrighted stuff - I can just email you and have it made!! Who cares about the people that spent hours, days, or years designing something to perfection... their time, money... Smile Smile Smile Need I go on?

Please don't tell me you're also the one selling bogus "Todd Lassen" coins, Troy's notes, etc., on Ebay?

Just because you "made a good effort" and did not succeed in purchasing from Todd does NOT give you the right to copy his design. I'm also surprised that any honest business person would agree to make them for you.

If I come across as rude, angry, or offensive to anybody - you have my apologies. Afterall, what you do isn't my problem. Honestly, when the days over - I only have to answer to myself (and God), and I CAN sleep at night.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 12:16, mitchmarkl wrote:

Evidently Xavier does produce gaffs in US half Dollars and 1921 Morgans also. I don't know his work, and don't read or speak french, so I can't speak about his pricing. I would say IMHO he would have to go a long way to be better than Todd Lassen as far as quality of craftmanship.

No he doesn't

It is interesting to see that you feel the need to communicate your prejudice about something you have no clue. People went to wars over centuries to defend their faith or beliefs. I'm not interested in wars but in performing magic.

Xavier's technique is totally different from Todd and, as far as "quality of craftmanship" is concerned (on comparable items), it is at least as good and I've looked at many.

Now admittedly Todd is doing C/S and C/S/B which are outstanding. When it comes to [ and Floppers (gravity flippers) however, you are just ignorant about what you dare expressing an opinion about.

We are not interested in sect believers statements but about topical point of views which might differ, supplying a better perception: not a restrictive view.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
I can't say enough about Schoolcraft. I called him twice, he answered. I ordered:
Walking Lib Exp [ set
Walking Lib Flipper
Copper Silver
Soft Morgan Flipper

I received them all withing 5 business days of my order.

E-Mails and Calls to Lassen went unanswered.

You make the call.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 09:54, Bungee wrote:
I can't say enough about Schoolcraft. I called him twice, he answered. I ordered:
Walking Lib Exp [ set
Walking Lib Flipper
Copper Silver
Soft Morgan Flipper

You make the call.

It's cool that everyone has their own experience and perspective!

J
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 09:54, Bungee wrote:
Walking Lib Exp [ set
Walking Lib Flipper
Copper Silver
Soft Morgan Flipper

You make the call.

You got all this stuff within 5 business days from the time you placed your order? If that includes 3 days for mail, Schoolcraft already had all these items in stock, or he made everything for you in TWO days.

So...Schoolcraft can make stuff really really fast, which is not something I'm wanting when looking for high quality items, OR he has tons of stuff in stock..proving that his items are not in near the demand of Lassen products.

Argue all you want amongst yourselves, I have no intention of trying to dissuade you from making your purchases where ever you like. Most of us HAVE already made our own calls on who to buy from years ago. But asking other gaffers to knockoff Lassen's stuff is a crappy thing to do. Others here certainly agree and you have ignored that. I'd say you certainly belong right where you have chosen to be. I'll take the high road..and you take the low road....
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 08:44, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 12:16, mitchmarkl wrote:

Evidently Xavier does produce gaffs in US half Dollars and 1921 Morgans also. I don't know his work, and don't read or speak french, so I can't speak about his pricing. I would say IMHO he would have to go a long way to be better than Todd Lassen as far as quality of craftmanship.

No he doesn't

It is interesting to see that you feel the need to communicate your prejudice about something you have no clue. People went to wars over centuries to defend their faith or beliefs. I'm not interested in wars but in performing magic.

Xavier's technique is totally different from Todd and, as far as "quality of craftmanship" is concerned (on comparable items), it is at least as good and I've looked at many.

Now admittedly Todd is doing C/S and C/S/B which are outstanding. When it comes to [ and Floppers (gravity flippers) however, you are just ignorant about what you dare expressing an opinion about.

We are not interested in sect believers statements but about topical point of views which might differ, supplying a better perception: not a restrictive view.

Lawrence, what is your reply "No he Doesn't" directed to?

If it is directed to my statement that your friend Xavier makes gaffs in US half dollar and 1921 Morgans, then I would refer you to his web site which states that he does.

If you are referring to my statement that (IMHO)"in my humble opinion" he would have to go a long way to be better then Todd Lassen as far as quality of craftsmanship, I am not saying anything derogatory about Xavier. I stated earlier that I don't know his work, and don't know his pricing. I am only saying that I have some of Lassen's , Schoolcraft's, and Van Dokum's work, and I see a difference in craftsmanship.
I think they all make very nice gaffs, but I see a difference in Lassen's work that is very noticeable to me. Once again I am stating my opinion!
I am certainly not prejudiced in any way, as a matter of fact it is very obvious to me that you are the one who is prejudiced against anything positive that is said about a particular craftsman with the initials TL.

As far as ['s and gravity flippers go, you say that I am ignorant about what I am expressing my opinion about.
It's your right to say what ever you would like to say about me, even though you don't know me.

Why is it that you have a need to label people as sect followers when they have an opinion that is different than yours?
As I stated, I have gaffs made by a few other custom coin gaffers and quite few more by production companies like Johnson, and Tango.
I can only form an opinion from my own experiences, and once again it is my OPINION.

You can also form your own opinion from your experiences.

When you state "We are not interested in sect believers statements" who is we? And who is this sect?

You still have not answered one of my original questions asking about who you bought your supposed Lassen gaff from on Ebay. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a legitimate Lassen product that you are using to make your comparison.

Lawrence, just because someone doesn't always agree with your opinions doesn't mean that they are wrong, or members of some coin gaffer's sect.

I think you should take the chip off your shoulder and get on with your life.

And that my friends is my opinion.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Mitchmarkl,
I didn't read anything derogortory in your saying Xavier would have to go a long way to be better than Todd's. It was just an opinion. I buy directly from Todd whenever I can because I know it to be consistently very high quality. I've only seen items from one other custom gaff maker and didn't think the consistency was there. One item should have never been shipped. Will I spend big bucks to try out
the others, no reason to. As for the "sect believers"? Whatever that's supposed to mean, fine. Now you feel you need to insult the customers, too.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
When someone (anyone) says about something that he himself acknowledges not to know, that "it has a long way to go to match" something else, it can only be prejudice.

When customers, who naturally have the right to remain loyal to suppliers they are satisfied with, feel the need to bash other suppliers (especially for products they admit not to know), it means that they are "prejudiced" (this is exactly what the word means).

When people are prejudiced to a point where, instead of simply witnessing their satisfaction about a product, they feel personally offended by the existence of any consideration, and transform it into a perceived offense against the person supplying the product they like, it means that they have shifted to a personal submission not to the product himself but to the person delivering it. This behavior is typically sectarian.

I'm not criticizing Todd Lassen's customers as I never had any problem complimenting the general quality of Todd's craftsmanship. I'm criticizing the sectarianism of some of his customers, which is firing as soon as products (his or others) are reviewed.

I bought coins from Xavier Belmont not knowing him, and I developed a pleasant relationship with him after this. It didn't make me blind, I didn't become a Belmont evangelist and it didn't prevent me of writing positive comments on Jamie Schoolcraft, Auke Van Dokkum, Todd Lassen, Roy Kueppers, Mark Mason... but not exclusive appreciations.

In short sectarian people, with their exclusive prejudice, are creating what they fear the most: they advertise for other craftsmen because debate is the best advertisement. Because magicians are not blind either, by putting other craftsmen under the spotlight in an unfair manner, sectarians destroy the exclusivity that they would like to establish.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Pieces is the section that lists the types of coins that Xavier makes his coin gaffs from. Everything is there on the site.
Who is misleading who here?
What is the purpose of the shell coins? To hide the coins during a coin routine.
The quality is good from Todd and he has really thought about the gaff.
I have gaffus from many different manufacturers and they are all different in fit and quality.
Johnson's Morgan has served me well for over 20yrs.

My Lassen gaffus is serving me well also. Todd is easily accessable with just a phone call. I have never had a problem with him or his products. His Gravity Flipper is the best I have ever seen or used. UWC is probably the most invisible and can get lost if mixed into a handful of reguler coins.

My Schoolcraft Shell had to be rewroked as it did not fit my coins....yet it was expanded? It is fine now. I have chosen not to order from Schoolcraft and that is my choice based on the product I have both handled and bought through the mail.

Roy makes good product and I would never sell him short...his prices are good and his product is excellent. I will order from him again. He has great customer service.

Mark Mason's Swadling stuff is excellent as well. I have held and worked with several of his gaffus over the years. Swadling makes a nice coin.

Eddie Gibson makes exellent gaffus. I have two different effects that he made and they are high quality and not all that super expensive.

I have seen Auke's stuff at WMS and it is very nice. I chose not to buy from him at the time though as other things had cught my eye at the time. He was very nice and I have heard nothing but good things about him and his products in the 5 years I have known about him. We talked for about an hour at WMS on the subject of Cups and Balls.

Porper is another maker of Gafus that has not been mentioned here. He makes some great coin too and it is mostly by request. Easy to deal with and makes the product quickly. He matched a few sets of coins for friends and they were top notch out of the shop but very expensive as I don't think he really wanted to do the jobs.

I could go on and on but the point is that you ultimately must make your own decisons as to what you want and how you want to go about getting it.
This pointless bantering about this junk is... well, just pointless unless you have checked these things out for yourself.

How many people can remember when there were only a few choices and all of them that made shells expanded them so that the sides were poped? I do. I still uses some of those to practice with. We never had a problem back then so another question comes to mind.
What are you doing to expose gaffus where people would question the coins you use?
I do not have this problem when I perform. Nobody questions the coins I use.

Later,
Mobius
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 18:22, Lawrence O wrote:
When someone (anyone) says about something that he himself acknowledges not to know, that "it has a long way to go to match" something else, it can only be prejudice.

When customers, who naturally have the right to remain loyal to suppliers they are satisfied with, feel the need to bash other suppliers (especially for products they admit not to know), it means that they are "prejudiced" (this is exactly what the word means).

When people are prejudiced to a point where, instead of simply witnessing their satisfaction about a product, they feel personally offended by the existence of any consideration, and transform it into a perceived offense against the person supplying the product they like, it means that they have shifted to a personal submission not to the product himself but to the person delivering it. This behavior is typically sectarian.

I'm not criticizing Todd Lassen's customers as I never had any problem complimenting the general quality of Todd's craftsmanship. I'm criticizing the sectarianism of some of his customers, which is firing as soon as products (his or others) are reviewed.

I bought coins from Xavier Belmont not knowing him, and I developed a pleasant relationship with him after this. It didn't make me blind, I didn't become a Belmont evangelist and it didn't prevent me of writing positive comments on Jamie Schoolcraft, Auke Van Dokkum, Todd Lassen, Roy Kueppers, Mark Mason... but not exclusive appreciations.

In short sectarian people, with their exclusive prejudice, are creating what they fear the most: they advertise for other craftsmen because debate is the best advertisement. Because magicians are not blind either, by putting other craftsmen under the spotlight in an unfair manner, sectarians destroy the exclusivity that they would like to establish.

Once again Lawrence you don't answer specific questions that were asked. I believe you might have a great career in the US as a politician.

I would appreciate it if you would please find a quote somewhere of me bashing a coin gaffer.
It's never happened.

You however are consistently labeling people as "sect believers" whenever they sing the praises of a particular coin gaffer.

You don't seem to be able to accept anyone else's opinion as just that; an opinion, unless they are agreeing with you.

When you speak of prejudice you are speaking about yourself.

Lawrence, I believe that I am only adding fuel to the fire by replying to you.
You obviously have no intention of answering any of the questions that I have asked, and instead insist on ranting on with your intellectual clap trap.

Lawrence, You are the problem, you have a huge chip on your shoulder, and insist on starting an argument with anyone who might have an opinion different than yours.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I have many coin sets from Todd Lassen. Before the first of January, I emailed a few custom gaffers about a new custom set I wanted made. Jamie emailed me back along with a few other people. Jamie said he would get me a price quote on the New Year. He did not. I emailed him after the first of January. Then again after the first of February. Then again after the first of March. Over three months with no response. Finally Jamie emailed be back on March 23 saying he was not interested. Waited too long for his answer.

I have had continuous emails with Todd about his products, and each email came back to me quickly. He was more than happy to fix up a coin set that wasn't working properly. He ships his items fast and they're very good.

Todd is the way to go.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Mitchmarkl,

"No he doesn't". On the bottom of his site, there is a tag called "Pièces" for information, Xavier Belmont reports "Pièces argent classées par diamètre croissant" which means "silver coins classified by size from smaller to bigger" and he supplies a photograph for each type. It doesn't mean that he sells these coins or gaffs in these coins. Actually he doesn't. The coin gaffs that he makes are clearly listed at the top and if you had a doubt, there is a "full set" option with photograph. You are excused for your French reading may be the reason for your mistake.

However your jumping on making argument validates the other comments I wrote. Mobius303 comments is not passionate: he simply talks of his own experience even if he is wrong in his statement: "Pièces is the section that lists the types of coins that Xavier makes his coin gaffs from. Everything is there on the site.
Who is misleading who here?" Xavier Belmont only makes gaffs for 10 Francs and 50 Francs coin except for exceptional special orders (He is gaffing ancient Japanese coins that I ordered for a Japanese friend). The silver coins photographed are there just for information as to the size of various silver coins in various countries so that people can have an idea about the size of coins that he is gaffing. So Mobius303's question stands "Who is misleading who here?". This should be clear by now.

I may add
Quote:
On 2008-08-30 12:57, silverking wrote:

Both Jamie and Todd have indicated over and over that not all of their past work was hallmarked.

Now GeorgeG who likes Todd Lassen coins also states
Quote:
in the thread called " Todd Lassen's new C/S/B gaff -- amazing!" states "Comparing the new version to a solid CSB set I bought from Todd last year, the infinity edge makes the set most deceptive in use. Already mentioned to him that I would love a second back-up set if he ever releases anymore, but, from what I gathered, these were a lot of work and he has now moved on to other stuff for now."

This means that the previous production of C/S/B was not as perfect as you would want to present it without even accepting that they could be questioned. If Todd Lassen improved on them them, it shows that, contrary to you, he didn't think they were perfect. I congratulate him for his constant effort to improve and, commercially, I'm shocked that he did'nt keep some for his precious buyers to be able to buy them.

My repeated response to "sect members" and "chapel promoters" has never been to criticize the craftsmanship of Todd Lassen (just because I respect it) but their "sharia" against every other craftsmen and his contempt towards his potential customers.

Now I realize from other posts that the way to get to Todd Lassen is to use the phone as he seem not to like or regularly read e-mails. Some members of the café even posted his phone number.

So maybe this is just a communication problem where Todd is a little too stiff and stubborn: it generates the comments that make him and some of his customers mad.

Now as far as me being up to the level of a US politician, with the election of President Obama, I take it as a compliment. Thank you.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
You sure like to make you own conclusions on matters and stretch it. Your comment, "This means that the previous production of C/S/B was not as perfect as you would want to present it without even accepting that they could be questioned" is IN TOTAL ERROR.

ALL CSB sets made by EVERY craftsman (including your "favorites") up to the Infinity Edge System utilized the same technique of split coins for the inserts...so are you saying that the standard CSB design and all the sets ever made have all been flawed and impractical for performance. I doubt anyone out there who have used a set in performance, for the many years these have been made, would agree.

Of this standard "flawed" design, Todd was clearly the best I have seen with the minimalist visual edge to the splitting in the insert for deception, but he took it further to PERFECTION with the Inifinity Edge System.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft and Lassen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL