The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft and Lassen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
George I'm surprised that you didn't get it: I don't have a favorite craftsman. I buy gaffed coins, and I form my opinions gaffs by gaffs: in coins my preferences may result from the types of coins used (for example I don't like the gold and black fake Chinese coins and bought a Todd Lassen C/S/B with a great looking ancient Chinese coin) or from the quality of the craftsmanship. Yes I make my own topical conclusions on props and share it with some other magicians like we all do: this is what forums are for. Yes with the present quality of coin gaffs, differences are marginal and points of view might seem stretched. I have no problem with people having different preferences or opinions on gaffs but I do have a problem with people bashing other magicians or craftsmen... I don't embrace anyone's cause but I detest prejudice.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
By the way the magician who posted Todd Lassen's number was The Wizard Of Hearts and his post reads

Quote:
Schoolcraft Precision: http://www.coingaffs.com 661-965-9217
Lassen Coin Gaffs: http://www.themagiccafe.com 303-776-7962

Here's the deal: call Jamie and Todd and ask them your questions. If you're really serious about purchasing professional tools, then by all means talk to the craftsmen who make the tools. It is good to establish one-to-one professional relationships.

With gaffs of this price you may (for the same reason) want to push following this sound advice further, rechecking also with Roy, Auke, Mark and Xavier as well
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 07:37, Lawrence O wrote:
Mitchmarkl,

"No he doesn't". On the bottom of his site, there is a tag called "Pièces" for information, Xavier Belmont reports "Pièces argent classées par diamètre croissant" which means "silver coins classified by size from smaller to bigger" and he supplies a photograph for each type. It doesn't mean that he sells these coins or gaffs in these coins. Actually he doesn't. The coin gaffs that he makes are clearly listed at the top and if you had a doubt, there is a "full set" option with photograph. You are excused for your French reading may be the reason for your mistake.

However your jumping on making argument validates the other comments I wrote. Mobius303 comments is not passionate: he simply talks of his own experience even if he is wrong in his statement: "Pièces is the section that lists the types of coins that Xavier makes his coin gaffs from. Everything is there on the site.
Who is misleading who here?" Xavier Belmont only makes gaffs for 10 Francs and 50 Francs coin except for exceptional special orders (He is gaffing ancient Japanese coins that I ordered for a Japanese friend). The silver coins photographed are there just for information as to the size of various silver coins in various countries so that people can have an idea about the size of coins that he is gaffing. So Mobius303's question stands "Who is misleading who here?". This should be clear by now.

I may add
Quote:
On 2008-08-30 12:57, silverking wrote:

Both Jamie and Todd have indicated over and over that not all of their past work was hallmarked.

Now GeorgeG who likes Todd Lassen coins also states
Quote:
in the thread called " Todd Lassen's new C/S/B gaff -- amazing!" states "Comparing the new version to a solid CSB set I bought from Todd last year, the infinity edge makes the set most deceptive in use. Already mentioned to him that I would love a second back-up set if he ever releases anymore, but, from what I gathered, these were a lot of work and he has now moved on to other stuff for now."

This means that the previous production of C/S/B was not as perfect as you would want to present it without even accepting that they could be questioned. If Todd Lassen improved on them them, it shows that, contrary to you, he didn't think they were perfect. I congratulate him for his constant effort to improve and, commercially, I'm shocked that he did'nt keep some for his precious buyers to be able to buy them.

My repeated response to "sect members" and "chapel promoters" has never been to criticize the craftsmanship of Todd Lassen (just because I respect it) but their "sharia" against every other craftsmen and his contempt towards his potential customers.

Now I realize from other posts that the way to get to Todd Lassen is to use the phone as he seem not to like or regularly read e-mails. Some members of the café even posted his phone number.

So maybe this is just a communication problem where Todd is a little too stiff and stubborn: it generates the comments that make him and some of his customers mad.

Now as far as me being up to the level of a US politician, with the election of President Obama, I take it as a compliment. Thank you.

Lawrence, I am wrong about my assumption that Xavier uses US half dollars and 1921 Morgans. I appreciate your acknowledging my inability to speak french.

The only thing I become passionate about, are the contradicting statements that you make. You accuse others of bashing "other" coin gaffers, but you are the one that makes derogatory statements about TL.
You specifically try to twist what people are saying so that it supports your beliefs. A case in point; GeorgeG stated: "Comparing the new version to a solid CSB set I bought from Todd last year, the infinity edge makes the set most deceptive in use. Already mentioned to him that I would love a second back-up set if he ever releases anymore, but, from what I gathered, these were a lot of work and he has now moved on to other stuff for now."

It's obvious that TL made a new technical advance. He found a way to improve something that until this time had always been done the same way with a similar result by himself and all other coin gaffers. This doesn't mean that his older work wasn't up to snuff or that it was lower quality. Let's face it, you understood what George meant, but wanted to twist it or "spin" it to fit your agenda, which once again is to make TL look bad.

You also mentioned that other people on the Café have made comments that TL is better reached by phone than email. I was one of those people. It was obvious to me, that talking on the phone for thirty seconds or a couple of minutes gets all of your questions answered at one time as opposed to emailing back and forth two, three, or even four times to get the same questions answered.

As usual you turned this around to make it something negative. Here is your quote: "So maybe this is just a communication problem where Todd is a little too stiff and stubborn: it generates the comments that make him and some of his customers mad."

Having asked you twice about the Ebay purchase you made of a supposed "Lassen" coin gaff, and never getting an answer from you about who sold it to you or how you could possibly be sure that it was in fact a "Lassen" coin that you were making your comparisons with, I would have to conclude that there is no way to know who made this coin and that any comparisons couldn't possibly be valid.

And by the way comparing you to a US politician wasn't meant as a compliment Smile
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
I have a great idea. Why don't we drop the whole thing Lawrence. You add new meaning to the word "redundant". Hope I spelled that right, but you get my drift.

We have all seen you here, posting in every topic known to man. I don't think you are offering any advice that we don't already know, and it seems you are ruffling a lot of feathers wherever you go. Is that your intention? Arguing with every guy that likes Lassen?

Give us all a break, we are not "sect" followers or whatever other rediculous label you'd like to put on us. The man is more of a man than you will ever be Lawrence, and he has single handedly changed the scope of what is possible for coin magicians around the world. All the rest followed him, not the other way around. As the FRENCH magician JJ Sanvert quotes, (who is somebody we have heard of, not Lawrence O) ...Todd is like a god!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
So who loves their mother more: Jamie or Todd? People want to know!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Me too Gaddy.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Peace.
Sammy J. Teague
smartboysports
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartboysports
I'll 2nd that - PEACE
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I'll third that, PEACE.

I've been reading these threads and I firmly believe All of the Master Coin Gaffer Craftsmen Do Excellent Work, and most of the difference perceived between them is based on who you bought from, or who at the time seemed to give you better customer service. I feel they are close enough in their skill that a non-machinist probably couldn't tell you which is better with anything but their own opinion. I believe All of the Great Coin Gaffers mentioned here are Superb! Want to know which to buy from? Call, email, or visit them. And from your communication with them, their pricing , and the availability of the gaff you want, YOU should decide who to purchase from.

My two cents....

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Thanks Gerald, I appologize for these long debates. I'm not even promoting one gaffer over the other. I'm just tired of hearing L constantly twisting things to his point of view, and getting his little digs in on Mr. Lassen.
I'm all for peace also.
Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft and Lassen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL