The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Promoting our local rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
Hi I have been a member of my local ring for about a year and I would like to help increase the membership. Most of the members are longtime members and I want to help attract new blood like myself. Do any of you have any interesting ways of promoting to magicians?. I am thinking of using Myspace, Facebook, Meetup, and other networking groups. Any other good ways preferably free? thanks
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Hi Esmolko,

You might try something that our club has had some success in. We have added three members (smaller area) to our ranks in the same manner.

If your area has any type of street festival, or 4th of July carnival, or holiday block party consider doing a booth for the day. Promote the club and hand out flyers to everyone who walks by. Do a public performance at the booth each hour (15-20 Min. show), or a stage show if they also have a bandstand stage. We do booth shows in exchange for the rental space for the booth. We sell beginners magic props, gags and jokes, as well as other novelties (fans and silly string). Not only do we get prospective members to the club but we also make some coin as well. Try it!

S. Patrick
esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
Sounds like a good Idea spatrick, the weather around here is getting better, and there should be some opportunities to try your Idea. I was in to Magic for about 5 years before I even heard of the I.B.M., so I am sure there are more people who would like to be active.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Also get the list of international members in your area (those that are memebers but are not local members. give them a call and invite them to a ring event.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Here in Kalamazoo, Michigan we have three colleges and Universities. Every year they have a welcome back event for the students. At Western Michigan University they have "Bronco Bash" where local businesses show their products and advertise to the students. Because the schools bring in thousands of students per year there are usually three to five who have an interest in magic. Your own Kent State University, I believe, brings in 25,000 students per year. Contact them and ask if they hold such an event and if so get a booth there. Who knows, maybe you will spark an interest in magic to a new comer, or generate a show or two at the University, or recruit a few new members.

Through a similar event, I booked my first professional magic show at Ferris State College back in December of 1973. Since then I have performed magic all over the world, created and marketed many of my own magic effects, written thirteen books on magic, opened a "Brick and Mortar" magic shop (The Timid Rabbit Magic & Masquerade Shop - opened 1974 and is still open today), appeared on "Entertainment Tonight", etcetera.

I am president of Ring 333 (The Fox Ring), Advisor to the Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic Convention, and am hosting this years Michigan Magic Day (third time doing so). I have worked with and become friends with many great magicians including Allan Ackerman, Jerry Andrus, Tony Anverdi, Vanni Bossi, Karrel Fox, Jimmy Grippo, Doug Henning, Stewart James, Little Johnny Jones, Willis Kenney, Roy Kissel, Roger Klause, Sid Lorraine, Ed Marlo, Jay Marshall, Billy McComb, Mike Skinner, Tony Slydini, Bob Stencil, Warren Stevens, Hank Vermeyden, Dai Vernon and the list goes on....

If not for that 1973 event, who knows where life would have taken me?

You might also try posting on the Genii and the Magic Classroom forums.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Phone: 269-501-2573
Michigan Magic Day 2009
http://www.MichiganMagicDay2009.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Promoting our local rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL