The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid Show Audience Management Techniques (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
So you wanna be a Kid's Show Entertainer?

You practiced and rehearsed your show. You read and applied the latest marketing skills and now your ready to tackle the kids show and the show falls flat or ends "disastrous"!

A skill equal to knowing the technical part of magic and equal to knowing all the best marketing skills is Audience Management Techniques

Let us know some of your methods of controlling the kids audience.

I. Magician can Manage the Audience through Laughter
While they are laughing they are busy watching what you do for the next laugh. Add as much comedy as you can, but stop short of being known as a clown rather than a magician. (Does not apply to Clowns.)
1. Do things that are Physically Funny.

• Clumsiness
  • Facial Expressions
  • Gestures
  • Klutz
  • Movement: Slow Motion, Fast Motion, Freeze, Robotic
  • Physical Injury: Slapstick
  • Walking

2. Use things that are Visually Funny.

• Baby Toys
  • Butt Stuff
  • Competition
  • Costumes
  • Crying
  • Extremely Big Things
  • Extremely Small Things
  • Foam Objects
  • Funny Pictures
  • Funny Props
  • Funny Wands
  • Hats
  • Magician in Trouble: Trick Breaks
  • Noisy Makers
  • Nose Stuff: Boggers (Gross Stuff)
  • Puppets
  • Running Gags
  • Sight Gags
  • Stinky Stuff
  • Strange Goofy Props
  • Underarm Stuff

3. Say things that are Verbally Funny

• Bodily Functions Noises: Burping, & Farting
  • Crying
  • High Pitch Voice
  • Loud Voice
  • Low Pitch Voice
  • Musical Jokes and Comedy Limericks
  • One Liners
  • Puns
  • Running Gag Lines
  • Saying Funny Things
  • Silly Magic Words
  • Silly Names
  • Slow Talking
  • Telling Jokes
  • Verbal Mistakes, (Blue silk called red)
  • Whining

4. Use Music or Audio sounds

• Funny Songs
  • Noise Makers
  • Sound Clips
  • Squeakers
  • Fart Machines (use with an appearing rabbit or Rocky Racoon if this is your thing)

II. Use Group Participation by All Kids is an Audience Management technique
1. Have the kids be Physically Interactive

• Body: Standing Up, Sitting Down, Shaking Body, Shaking Hips, Hands on Hips
  • Face: Making a Funny Face, Making a Sad Face, Making a Happy Face, Making a Goofy Face, Making a Scary Face, Blinking, Nodding
  • Hands: Wiggling Fingers, Clapping Hands, Waving Hands, Erasing Colors, Throwing Invisible Objects, Pointing, Snapping their Fingers
  • Mouth: Blowing Knots Away, Sucking in like Vacuum Cleaners, Great Big Smile, Sticking their Tongue Out
  • Feet: Stopping Feet, Smelly Shoes, Stinky Socks

2. Have the kids Visually notice something wrong

• Seeing Something you Don't (Look/Don't See)
  • Absurd Contrasts: Small Child with Big Object

3. Have the kids Verbally Interact with the magic

• Counting
  • Gibberish
  • Laughing
  • Saying it Louder
  • Saying Tongue Twisters
  • Silly Magic Words
  • Silly Sounds
  • Silly Words
  • Whispering

III. Empowering the Children with Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Physical Involvement: They believe they are magical.

• Skills to be a Magician

2. Visual Interaction: They see something you don't

• Look, Don't See

3. Verbal Interaction: Draw them into the magic or routine

• Asking for Information
  • Asking Questions
  • Facts that the Kids Know
  • Misnaming Items
  • Mispronouncing Words

IV. Assistant Participation: Use assistants
1. Physical Interaction: Your Interactions and play routines with the assistant

• Hand Shaking
  • Role Playing

2. Visual Interaction; have them use a prop which is funny but not embarassing or belittling.

• Absurd Contrasts: Small Child with Big Object
  • Breaking Objects: Breakaway Wand, Breakaway Fans, Drooping Flower
  • Costumes: Big Hats, Absurd Outfits
  • Glassess
  • Props:

3. Verbal Interaction: You verbally have a funny conversation with the assistant

• Introductions
  • Playing with their Name
  • Asking Questions About Opposite Gender
  • Rhyming their Names
  • Giving Them Applause Credit

Add as much of the above to each routine to make the routine funny and enjoyable. As long as each routine is designed to interact with the audience there will be little time for them to do something else.
Dennis Michael
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I really like everything you mention but there is one thing it is not funny in our country ... at least in front of an audience or in front of kids, we wouldn't even think of it in front of our family.

It is considered rude manners and disgusting to try to be verbally funny doing Bodily Functions Noises: Burping & Farting.

The only place we are allowed to do those noises is at the bathroom and that, if we are alone and by ourselves, in a private bathroom. We wouldn't even think of doing it at a restaurant's bathroom with a stranger next to us. If we burp in front of a person, we immediately apologize.

I don't know if if is a cultural thing but it works well down here in South America. I wouldn't recommend this kind of humour if you are working at a school show with little children, or at a birthday party in our Latin Countries.

Besides doing my magic shows, I try to help parents to raise kids and learn proper manners too. It is a very difficult job nowadays.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I find you do have to be careful with that type of humour. Most parents in New Zealand seem to be okay with it. I would not recommend it for children under 6. In one of Silly Billy's books he says with children aged 7-9 you will win them over instantly using this type of humour. Certainly with older children it is funny for a different reason. I think as an older performer or somone dressed more formally you could get more milage out of fart jokes than say a clown who people expect to be silly anyway.

Your post was so extensive Den. There is some really useful information there. I don’t know what the Magic Café would do without DenDowhy.

The other way to manage children is through use of bribes. You can tell the children they will be rewarded by being polite or that the balloon animals are going to the people that I think deserve them. When you say things like this it is amazing how they suddenly all sit up straight and become attentive. Being used as a helper is also another reward that can work like a bribe for appropriate behaviour. This is perhaps another reason why it is important not to embarrass or belittle your helper. If you give your assistant the glory and make them look good other children will wish they could be helping.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The list is an accumulation of suggested things to do or say, NOT a "must use" everything list. It is a check list to see if you can improve your routine by adding a couple of items.

Bodily Functions humor is a common method to get a laugh. Many movies use this— Blazing Saddles, Something about Mary, etc. It is a normal thing to do and in some cultures it is accepted and others, well it is NOT funny.

Andy is right about what Silly Billy says. I learned from foreign travel, it is an insult to touch the top of one's head or sit with legs crossed and many other commonly accepted American practices like this. There is a book on this topic if you're interested.

By the way, in America, certain classes will think "ill of you" if you use this type of humor, however, bar room humor ... well, it is acceptable in that setting, but I doubt it would be at some high class place.
Dennis Michael
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Great job Den,
I am glad to see people posting great topics with such insightful infomation as you did.
Thanks
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mago Mai writes that, in his country: "It is considered rude manners and disgusting, to try to be verbally funny doing Bodily Functions Noises: Burping, & Farting."

As it is in most countries!

Den has an excellent post— except for that point.

Sure, the kids may like it— but the kids aren't hiring you! The parents are.

And the parents may have just finished a long process of explaining to the kid why the sounds of various bodily functions are not socially acceptable and what happens? A magician shows up who undermines and destroys the parents' work in a few seconds.

Good manners and civilized behavior have deteriorated enough; we don't need to help them fall apart even more so!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Den,

I take your list in the spirit in which it was given. I can see you have spent some time thinking about this subject and I believe it to be an excellent post. There are always things people can find wrong and the negativity in peoples' posts has gotten to be a little much at times.

I, as most thinking people realize, that what is posted here is only opinion, and taken that way I have the option of taking what fits and building on it. Or, sadly, taking what another has built and tear it down. I prefer the former as the latter tends to stifle creativity. Keep up the good posts. Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I take no offense in comments from others. We live here on the Internet from a diverse group of magicians from all around the world. This uniqueness of all of us makes for some interesting comments. I love reading what Peter Maurucci writes on this site as well as what he puts into the Linking Ring Mag. We disagree on mouth coils from the mouth, but I won't challange him on it, he has his points and culture which I respect.

When it comes to entertaining children, one must look at all the options and put together an act that fits his style and personality as well as character. I could get away with a few of those noises, such as my pet rabbit making noises from his appearance cage (via electronic fart machine) and pull it off at my annual family picnic. They know me as a crazy funny "outlaw" (not my side of the family). It's a matter of preference and the right audience and the right moment.

How many times have we seen a dove act poop on the magician? Kohl & Company makes a good living at comedy and this stuff. It's not for everyone. I wouldn't do it at a school assembly program.

Again, use what you think will work for you. Get opinions from those who you trust to give you a correct response, then make a decision what to keep and what to dump. The Vanishing Bandana is a gross effect but I love it and do it as often as I can.

I see no negatives here, just honest opinions from people around the world.
Dennis Michael
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Toilet humour has always been a corner stone of British comedy, and as long as you don't go over the top it's OK. Kids love it. There is a line in the sand that devides funny and rude and a good pro won't cross it.

I restrict it to a couple of fart jokes during the show, when I make the balloons and I vent a little air out before I start modelling it makes a noise. The kids always laughed and made the jokes themselves so I expand it by looking at the helper as if they've done it. Before someone accuses me of showing them up. It's not done in that sort of way, and they laugh as loud as the others.

<<<<Sure, the kids may like it— but the kids aren't hiring you! The parents are. >>>>>

True Peter and they continue to hire me because I do exactly what I'm paid to do, entertain the kids. My show is aimed 100% at the kids and they love their kids to be happy, and the shrieks of laughter etc. from the kids last the full hour. As a parent I have strict rules on what I allow my kids to see and do, and I'd do nothing in my show that I wouldn't allow my own kids to see.

I won't bother saying any of my control techniques as Dennis has put them all in his post. You did it again mate, asked the question and gave all the answers. I wish you'd been my teacher at school. Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
Toilet humour has always been a corner stone of British comedy, and as long as you don't go over the top it's OK. Kids love it. There is a line in the sand that devides funny and rude and a good pro won't cross it.

Hay Emazdad, If you do go over the top ... use a plunger.

I myself would never use a gas joke ... not for me. I do use the plunger wand, but the sound with the balloon, nope. I know the kids think it's funny, but I don't like using it.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

There is room here for your Opening Techniques and Closing Techniques...
Dennis Michael
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Opening technique— a funny routine where I tell them who I am, show them the large bribery balloon model, explain how they win it by being good etc. Get them to tell me their names all at once, and we get the magic word.

Closing Technique— get them to shout thank you to the birthday parents for working so hard to make the party special, give themselves a big clap as the magic word would not have worked if they hadn't been good, give the best behaved the bribery balloon, occasionally (depending on time) I teach them a song that they have to sing over and over again on the way home:
MUM AND DAD
MUM AND DAD
AT MY PARTY
I WANT EMAZDAD.

I tell them if they sing it over and over one of two things will happen. One, their mum may ring me and get me to come and do magic and games at their party, or two, their mum and dad will look up my address in Yellow pages, find out where I live and when I wake up tomorrow morning all the tyres on my car will have been let down.

This gets a laugh from the parents who've just come in to pick up the kids and have seen the last 5 minutes of the show.

Finally if they've enjoyed the show. tell them it's now time to give me a clap.

After that I say, "Right, I'm going to put the music back on while I give you your balloon models. When you've got your balloon go and see the birthday mum and she's got a party bag for you; then if mum, dad, gran, grandad, elephant, lion, tiger or mongoose whatever has come to take you home is here you can go home. If no one's here to get you yet stay in the room."

Music on, balloons given out (they've been made during the food), get paid and go.

The last thing I do before I leave is thank the birthday child for inviting me and tell her how much I enjoyed her/his party.

During the end routine I mention my name several times so if the arriving parents (who come in at the end and see the kids having so much fun) don't read it from the front of my box, they've had plenty of reminders who I am.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Emazdad writes: "Toilet humour has always been a cornerstone of British comedy. . ."

Well, THAT certainly explains a great deal! Smile

And Frankft, I believe I said that Den's post was "excellent". I hardly considered that I tore it down because I disagreed with one point out of so many (which I considered both very good and very important)!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
hehehehe

farts!

hehehehe
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2866 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
"Seriously Silly" by David Kaye/Silly Billy is a fantastic book. But as he states in the book, not all of his program ideas are appropriate for every kid's performer. I am a 55 year old attorney and occasional kid's performer, but I take my magic for this age group (10 and under) very seriously. My act is filled with silly words, me dropping things, they see what I don't, audience interaction, goofy sight gags, a monkey clanking cymbals, my live appearing rabbit dressed up like a zebra, etc.. But it simply is not "me" to do magic or gags that involves me or a volunteer being hit with an inflatable wand, or to do bodily function jokes or poke fun of a strange child's name. It may work for some personalities, but not for an older man with a white beard. So in all of this, find a style that works for you personally AND is entertaining for the kiddos!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

David is in Clown "Silly" character, and as such is expected to act as such.

At my age, 62, I too don't go as far as David. On the other hand I do clown and goof off, but as fun not as a silly character.
Dennis Michael
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Dennis, you gave an awesome list of ideas!

If they're not everyone's cup of tea, that's
okay... the fact you laid them out so well and
completely is extremely useful. Thank you!

One thing I took from Dave Risley is the notion
of a warm-up to get the show rolling. How you
open is really important with kids. You need to
set the stage to make clear that YOU ARE IN CHARGE.

My warm-up/opening admittedly uses a combination of
techniques I've learned over the years from Risley,
Dee, and others.

I start off with a doofy old joke, "Okay... is everyone
here? Everyone who's not here, raise their hand!"

Then, when at least one or more raise their hands (quite
often a few of the parents), I shake my head sadly and
say, "Yeah, that figures."

What this does, right from the start, is subtly establish:

a) That I'm the one giving commands

b) I expect audience participation

c) If you do as I say it's going to be fun

These are very important messages to get across right
from the very beginning. And I keep promoting them
all throughout my program in different ways... some
of which Dennis mentioned.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid Show Audience Management Techniques (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL