The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Neice's Magic Talent show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I guess I'm not familiar with the whole Stage Illusion thing. I need ideas on what we could put together in 30 days. She's 9, with nominal magic/stage experience.

-Fairytale Miser's Dream
-a broomstick 'flight' illusion
-Professors Nightmare

Yeah, that's all I got. Anyone suggest effects or resources?

Thank-you ;-)
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Tell us more about the event, venue, audience, how much time you have for your act, and your magic/stage experience.

-Daniel
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If it is illusions you are after, then Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic has several you can throw together quickly, inexpensively, and are fairly easy to do. If you are talking stand-up, dove pan, squared circle, most box magic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
When my son was in high school his choir had a talent show in the auditorium of his school. Using one of the other girls in the chorus as an assistant, and with him having no magic experience really, I taught him an illusion. The illusion was a haunted house with a ghost costume and I believe it was in Mark Wilson's course as noted by Father Photius above. I made the house from 1/4 drywall which can be cut with a utility knife and decorated it according to the instructions using white paint and a sharpie, along with red vinyl tape for the corners. It was not expected that it would be used again which was the reason for the material choice and it held up wonderfully before and during the performance.

It was funny because during the performance I sat behind a couple of rows of kids and the performances were only being loosely watched as the talent show was not performed publicly but rather for the chorus members. There were large pockets of watchers and many others simply wandering the aisles. I listened to the comments as my son performed and it was funny because, as you would expect from a loose performance at a talent show with no professional performances, people were half paying attention. At the end of the illusion when the assistant removed her costume and the Haunted House's roof began to move and my son then stepped out the comments made from the rows in front of me (now paying full attention) were priceless.

For those not familiar the illusion begins with the audience unaware that there is an assistant and the performer dons the ghost costume and the haunted house is then assembled. The climax is reached when the assistant reveal her/himself in the costume and the performer is in the haunted house previously shown empty.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Ah, yes! Mark Wilson's. I have that. I'll have a look, Thanks all!
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Just though I'd complete this post, three years latter :-/

The event went wonderfully. We did a D'lite Miser's Dream w/ appropriate music, some dancing, and two other D'lite products. I didn't think she'd do the dance part, but she took to it! It was the best presentation.

Donny,
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5443 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
3 years...that was quite a long show. Smile
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Neice's Magic Talent show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL