The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk thru Mic Stand??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Hey does anyone do this?...what kinda R*** do you use?.....and where did you buy it?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yep, I do this old standard from time to time.

I start with a sideways “Serpentine Silk” (knot the silk onto the stand from the front, it unknots and is at the rear), then do a straightforward penetration twice (once from back to front, once from front to back), and conclude with a standard unknotting. That’s the whole routine.

I use a Paul Diamond model that I got from Paul about 20 years ago. It still works fine. It does not have a brake or a locking mechanism. It has the necessary power to work a 36 inch silk scarf (the bigger the better in my mind).

I also have a thinner, smaller model that was made for Cardini (and has his name stamped inside) that I use as a back-up for those times I need to service (take apart and clean) the Diamond model.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
This is such a killer effect, it always blows them away.

I use one I got from Hank Lee I believe!
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
Cool effect! The one put out by Owen happens to be the one I prefer.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes that one is a good one also, just do it slow, as this is sooo beautiful to watch!!!
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
This is another one of those effects that's so "old" that I forget how good it is. Thanks for reminding me. If I can come up with a presentation that's "me" I'm going to work this up and see how it plays in my act.
lemagician
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of lemagician
This only works with a r***??
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
My jaw dropped when I saw it done. Even now I can't believe somthing so stunning can be done so simply (medthod I mean). It just looks so real...

Do your r***s have a clip to unclip the end of the silk to use the silk for other routines or are you stuck with it being attached.

Second questions... where is the effect in print? Rice's Silk Magic? I don't have either volume but it seems like the logical answer to my question.

Shawn
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
First question. I do it both ways. I have a 36-inch scarf (an old rice Rainbow pattern silk) permanently affixed to a gizmo. I also have a gizmo with the male half of a snap set fixed to it and I have several silks with the female half of the snap sewn in place.

I also have a length of rope with a gizmo permanently affixed to it. I tend to use it the most for this effect.

Second question, the silk through mike stand, broomstick, wand, cane, arm, etc., is in print in many places. I believe that old Al Baker even put it out in one of his books.

You can find it clearly explained in Volume two of the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. In fact in volume two you will find that Rice even explains a gizmo-less (gimmick-less) version of the trick.

It is easiest (and cheapest) resource to find in the Paul Diamond Magic series, volume one, from L&L http://www.llpub.com I think that it is the best video for the care and feeding of the gizmo and how to properly use it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I use a George Kirkendal model I purchased over 20 years ago. It is smooth and verry verrrry quiet. Which as Elmer Fudd would agree is the only way to catch wabbits.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
Thanks for the info!!!

Shawn
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Doesn't Rick Thomas do something like that but with two silks? It looks outstanding.
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I really think this is such a cool penetration. Everytime I see it, it just looks like pure magic, and I know that the audience loves it too....
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
Shigeo Takagi published a smooth no gimmicked version in his book. It's called "The Ghostly Silk."
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Yes, I saw Rick Thomas do this. He has a female assistant on stage holding a silk vertically and he does his work from that in place of a mic stand. When I first saw it, I was so floored, I just told myself to stop thinking or I would miss the whole show.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
It's not the same effect but it is possible to openly tie a silk around a mike stand, walk away, step back to the stand and pull the silk away STILL TIED. No gimmick is used.

The method appears in many books where it is usually presented as "silk through arm" or some similar name. Not at all difficult and makes an excellent "throw away" bit. For example, in doing the 20th Century Silks you could "park" the third silk on the mike stand until you need it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
Quote:
On 2003-06-25 14:44, lemagician wrote:
This only works with a r***??

I have a version that looks almost identical, but uses no gimmick. In fact, the handling and everything is based on the reel version, but with nothing but the silk.

Pm for more info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk thru Mic Stand??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL