The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best sponge ball routine? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
formfoam
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of formfoam
Quote:
On 2009-11-07 14:31, Lawrence O wrote:
Bill Palmer is right (not unusual): I just didn't know who was the creator but didn't want to omit the effect from the list just on that account.

Thus, please know that I amended the list as follows...

Lesnik, Yuris: Puff the Magic Dragon, Latvia. (marketed item with ELMS) A sponge cube egg transforms into a cute baby dragon in the palm of your hand back and forth. With some serious practice this can be made really magical. Yuri also has a cube to dog, a cube to spider and other "formfoam" ideas that are really off the beaten path. Naturally these deserve a proper routine to make them really magical, but there are many members on the café that can supply ideas. These foam morphing ideas deserve being made in a very magical way rather than just pushing foam through to present the possibilities of a clever prop (possibly secretly switching the blocks to magically move the morphing from one transformer figure to another).

>..there are many members on the café that can supply ideas.
Welcome ideas!!!
Once again thanks to Lawrence O!
Probably so: Good ideas owners will receive the free morph sample(s) for to proof proper routine to make morph sculptures really magical.
Yuris.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I've finally met with Yuris Lesnik.

His sculpting work on sponge balls is really out of this world. His work can be used for a strong effect where a cube changes into a mini sponge dragon or into a small dog looking animal (both real cute and letting the ladies melt on site instead of trying to figure out how you did it)

Yuris has had some payment issues with some dealers and therefore it's better to order directly from him at http://www.morpher.org or http://www.morphopolis.tv or by emailing him at Sculptor@morpher.org

Now it opens the way to get slightly off the beaten path.

Let's figure out a routine in which the sponge, instead of being met in the spectator's hand by another one, changes into a sponge cube in his hand and as the magician takes it, it changes into a (really cute) small sponge dragon in full view.

This changes from the large sponge ball or the many small balls of the Dr Jaks finale (which roll all over the place to put the magician on his knees)

Try it: it's not really more expensive than a large ball or than a set of many small black sponge balls and nobody will expect the outcome.

Altogether the effect is really worth every penny in a fairly cheap price for a prop that will last for ever if you don't want to do just the routine that everyone does and the cuteness of the sculptures supplies a very strong misdirection.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
You know...I just saw a sponge ball mini-routine last night. It was aimed for the little kids...and the luved it. He gave the spectator a ball and made him clasp his hands over it. The spectator opend them up and 2 were there. He did tht again and then 4 were there. He had the spectator count them...1...2...3...4. The magician put all 4 in his hand, clasped them, and opened up to reveal a big sponge #4. It was comedic too. Great routine for kids.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
And if I may add - the life and magic of Billy Bishop "Bish The Magish" By Glenn Bishop published (2000) by Charvet Studio's.

In this book is a stand up routine using the sponge balls that my dad did at shows for decades. I use part of the routine in my close up work.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Goshman's routine is worth study.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 16:25, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I've been doing my routine ("Peanut, Butter, & Jelly") for almost twenty years now, in performances ranging from one person at the bar to several hundred in a platform show. It is my single most-performed and most-requested effect, and I've done it literally thousands of times. It is available on my website as an instant download for about $10.

I have heard a lot of good things about your routine Scott and will check it out.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Another nice strolling routine is "Eye Candy" by Eric Jones, it can be found in both his lecture notes: "Fingertips Pt. 1" and (I believe) on his new DVD set.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
Dynamike, send me your routine, and I'll be delighted to add it to the list.

I was kidding.
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
I like Jay Noblezada's routine. You start with nothing and end with nothing, making it one of the cleanest sponge ball routine. Not only that, it is easy to carry around
karakazak
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of karakazak
I love Jay Noblezada's "Sponge"! The dvd treats sponge ball magic with more respect than most magicians afford this wonderful prop which has proven itself again and again with audiences of every stripe. I laughed at first when I saw it because it presents sponge balls in a "hip and cool" manner. And right after I laughed I bought into the marketing 100%. There are some easy to do routines and all of the basic sponge moves are covered, but more than all of this the EXTRAS section with Gary Darwin is worth the price of the entire DVD. His handling and knowledge (as always) is almost comically voluminous and the use of a TT to do a visual hand transference is beautiful.
The "Sponge" DVD inspired me to collect other DVDs on the same topic and none surpassed the practical and powerful magic I was introduced to on "Sponge".

I have now created a number of bizarre sponge routines off of the "inspiration" that DVD gave me. (Some of which I'll be taping soon.)There is nothing more powerful than in their hands magic and sponge balls deliver EVERY time.

Check out my spongeball tribute to the Sword Box Illusion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AktGZLCeosA

Posted: Oct 14, 2010 8:13pm
Regarding good routines for sponge work, I think every individual should write their own material. I believe we can tell ANY story using sponge balls. Have fun and make up your own: )
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
It's Scott Guinn's "Peanut, Butter, & Jelly" for me. The best out there. Second I would say I like Sankey's Earplugs for something different.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
O......M......G......

I was googling a simple sponge ball routine and got this!!!

It's a dead thread but still very useful also shows me a ton about older guys that used to come here.

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 8:04pm
Maybe it's not too dead now that I look at the dates of the posts.
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
Personally, I was disappointed by Sankey's Earplugs. If I remember correctly there was only one move that made the earplug shape relevant, and the rest was pretty standard. I came away thinking that he brought little that was new to the table.
While I'm here can anyone suggest a routine that's stand-up, needs no table and is highly visible to an audience esp. children? I like B Abbott's routine of sponges from mouth as this really comes over very clear and quite shocking to an audience. However, the wet looking sponge in mouth is not pretty!

Cheers, Nick.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are some people who are really turned off by mouth magic, especially if the magician has a beard or a mustache.

It makes me want to reach for the Preparation H.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
Mmmm, there's a lovely image...thankfully I perform clean shaved, but now you've got me thinking...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 20:13, karakazak wrote:
Regarding good routines for sponge work, I think every individual should write their own material. I believe we can tell ANY story using sponge balls. Have fun and make up your own: )

You have to be careful. Some stories don't lend themselves well to sponge balls. Telling the Biblical story of creation, for example, would cause titters for all the wrong reasons.

So would the story of the crucifixion.

Quote:
On 2010-11-12 20:03, satellite23 wrote:
O......M......G......

I was googling a simple sponge ball routine and got this!!!

also shows me a ton about older guys that used to come here

And this shows me a TON about younger guys who don't bother to check their spelling or read the dates on the posts. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
J. Whittaker
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of J. Whittaker
For my money I use a routine called Nut Cup and Balls, it is a "right place right time" routine. I know that most will cringe and give grief for performing it but it works for me. I only perform it in my private shows and most who hire me know what to expect.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Lawrence, thanks so much for the informations. I wonder if there's even a second that you don't live magic? I believe that magic is as important as the air for you. Thanks so much again.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Naciolino: magic comes after my family, my friends, my businesses, and along the history of myths and religions, the history of WW II and of the war between secret services, psychology ... and I must admit that I find it unfair that my day has only 24 hours when so many people get bored in life.

:)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 01:23, Lawrence O wrote:
I must admit that I find it unfair that my day has only 24 hours when so many people get bored in life.
:)

yet linear time is but an illusion,
a box from which one can climb
if one is magical enough,
or
finds magic in everything!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best sponge ball routine? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL