The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best sponge ball routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
First -- Lawrence's listing runs more than 27,000 words! What a resource -- thank you!

I like two routines very much:

John Carney's "Current Classic" -- taught on the "Winter" installment of his 4-DVD set called The Master Sessions. As noted above, it's also in Carneycopia. It includes a production, ball-up-the-spectator's sleeve, vanish, and multiplication in the spec's hand. Just enough and no more. Beautifully structured.

Daryl's routine from Fooler Doolers (listed above) -- pure entertainment, fun, and amazement.

Cheers,
Jerry
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 16:59, puggo wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 16:25, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I've been doing my routine ("Peanut, Butter, & Jelly") for almost twenty years now, in performances ranging from one person at the bar to several hundred in a platform show. It is my single most-performed and most-requested effect, and I've done it literally thousands of times. It is available on my website as an instant download for about $10.

This, like everything else I have had from Scott was very well thought out. More of a complete routine than 'modules' (like Malone's) The peanut butter & jelly theme may need a bit of translation for UK punters.

Thanks, Puggo! Yes, the presenattion will definitely need tweaking outside of The States, as peanut butter and jelly is by far the most popular sandwich in America, and a couple of the jokes refer to the two top brands of peanut butter here. I did it for a group of Australians who were visting during my restaurant gig, and they appreciated the magic, but they didn't get the jokes. I guess I should have changed it to Vege, Mite, and Toast!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
You know, I don't think it makes much difference to non-magicians what the routine is. We come up with all of these different things that happen, but there really isn't anything more startling than to have sponge balls appear in the spectator's hand. Color changes and moving from one hand to the other doesn't get the reaction that having things happen in their hands.

I do a really simple routine where I put one in my hand and one in the spectator's hand and they open their hand to find two. I then do it again and there are three in their hand. Maybe I then put two in my hand, one at a time, one in my pocket and then open my hand to show three. I then usually do two in my hand, one in my pocket and then show no balls in my hand.

I'll often get a scream of surprise (with women) the first time, and many times a more subdued scream with the second time.

This really simple routine will often get a spectator dragging me to someone else to do it to them. Even if I flash something everyone laughs and has a good time.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't work on a more complex routine, just think about whether the effort is worth it for you. Only you can decide this.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jackhow14
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jackhow14
This is my spong ball version (tv show) .Hope everyone give me some advice.thx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjbB4vH-ZQ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Interesting routine. I'm not overly fond of "mouth magic," that is, things that go into and come out of the mouth. But, as they say, to each his own.

A couple of the first transfers looked a bit odd.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I think Lawrence spelled a word wrong in the 175th paragraph. What a comprehensive list!
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Mr.Lawrence O:

You Are Awesome!
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Lawrence O: I am so grateful for your posts at The Magic Café. They show real dedication to asemblying facts and sharing them with fellow magicians for our advacement in the art of magic. Thank you!
The presentation makes the magic.
magicnix
View Profile
New user
North Eastern CA
51 Posts

Profile of magicnix
Wow, what a great list by Lawrence.

Does anyone know where I could purchase The Sponge Book online?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Magic, Inc.

You could phone them, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
Magic, Inc. online at http://www.magicinc.net. phone EDI-BULL
magicnix
View Profile
New user
North Eastern CA
51 Posts

Profile of magicnix
Thank you very much guys.
formfoam
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of formfoam
Many thanks to Lawrence O!
I am continue to read and study all participants of this "THE Great Spong Balls History". To tell the truth, I hoped to see my name in this list. But has not found. Likely do not approach. Just in case I will leave here some videos:
spider-bug
Dog (Puff the...)
Pyramid-Robot
Probably, someone, will add to his spong routin. Someone, who already uses and know my products will probably tell or will show, how he do it.
I am in Paris. It would be very interesting to meet Mr.. Lawrence O
I will try to write him in private messages.
Yuris.
magicmatt
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicmatt
Roy Benson's "Benson Bowl" routine is my favorite.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Lawrence, I just invented one. Be sure to add it to the list next time.
formfoam
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of formfoam
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 15:44, Lawrence O wrote:

Anonymous: Puff the Magic Dragon ©Russia. (marketed item with ELMS) A sponge cube egg transforms into a cute baby dragon in the palm of your hand

Hello, Lawrece O!
I thought that we can meet and I could explain in details that it is not correctly written, I am not Anonymous. I would like that you correct this text. My name is Yuris Lesnik. I am inventor, author, sculptor. Each piece "cute baby dragon" is made by my hands. I am from Latvia, was born in Riga.
This "Dragon" was discussed with my name as Plastic foam novelty item
in 1994 US Patent 5506013 .
After a long break, I make them and sell them again.
I cannot pass by such error.
I hope for understanding.
Yuris Lesnik.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Thank you for the exhaustive list, Lawrence.

I tried to edit the post to include your name, Yuris, but the system only allows 30 seconds per operation. The post is so long, the operation aborts! However, now that you've posted, we know the creator. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
formfoam
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of formfoam
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 19:24, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
Thank you for the exhaustive list, Lawrence.

I am agree! Smile
Lawrence list is great.
Thanks for understanding, Michael.
Yuris.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You may like my sponge routine, "Peanut, Butter, & Jelly." It is available from my website as an ebook for only $10. By far, my most-requested routine.
http://www.scottfguinn.com/generalmagic.asp (2nd item on page)

Here are what some magicians have said about it:

Your sponge routine is funny, it’s fun and it fools. It’s the closest thing to a perfect routine I’ve ever seen. - Brett Bauscher

This is probably the most entertaining and magical routine you can do with sponge balls. Once you get it down you will have a routine that you’ll love performing. - Frank Galia

I LOVE Peanut, Butter, and Jelly! - Dan Fleshman

Your sponge ball routine is charming and commercial; just terrific! - Paul Green

"Peanut, Butter & Jelly” is a solid routine and very entertaining. - Guy Camirand

Wonderful sponge ball routine and flawless Aldo Colombini impression!- Dean Dill

PB&J is excellent. I like that it finishes off with a vanish of the balls and you’re reset. - Paul Preston

I can vouch for Scott’s PB&J sponge ball routine. Very nicely structured. - Geoff Williams

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: this is the best sponge ball routine EVER! Scott’s routining and subtle convincers are just amazing. I’ve had to start carrying it in my pocket wherever I go as it is my most requested effect. - Burt Yaroch

What makes this handling of the sponges better than most is the way Scott has structured it. He starts clean, and when the balls vanish at the end, they are GONE! Best of all, the reset is instant. - Victor Brisbin

I saw Scott perform this routine on stage at an adult show and kill with it. I’ve seen Scott do this close-up at a restaurant, for kids and for adults. It is really amazing how much magic and amusement for a whole array of venues you can get out of one routine. - Darrin Cook

That's a GREAT sponge ball routine--VERY commercial! - Marvin Roy (Mr. Electric)

"Peanut, Butter & Jelly" is one of the best sponge routines I've ever seen!" - Aldo Colombini

The sponge ball routine is perfect. Thanks again for a great work of art. - Merritt Ambrose
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yuris:

I'm certain that Lawrence did not intentionally leave out your name. I'm sure he didn't know it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best sponge ball routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL