The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting noticed in a bar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
PK stuff always catches people's eyes! And when they "catch you" doing something, they usually say something like, "What the *** are you doing?!" And if your response is simple, like "oh, just something I've been working on for a while," they will be beyond intrigued. For me, personally, this would be what I would do, as PK fits in with the rest of my repertoire better than something like D'Lights. There's NOTHING wrong with D'Lights... but it wouldn't be a natural segway into my other material. If you want to try PK out for this purpose, IT should work just fine... many recommend loops, but I use my low tension ITR to make instant loops. Or... if IT isn't for you, get a PK ring or similar m**net.

If you want a totally gimmickless PK effect, take a look at Shudder or Energy Bill. I do not own Shudder, but I best you could order a can of Guinness from the bar and perform this. From the demo, I would imagine it drawing a crowd easily! If someone caught you performing the last phase of Energy Bill, even out of the corner of their eye, they will either come closer to investigate, or potentially run away. It's that strong.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Shudder is gimickless?
I have not thought about PK but you may be on to something.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 13:43, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
You'd be surprised how bad you can be after just a couple.

Depends on how much muscle memory you have. I once performed Crazy Man's Handcuffs while lying on an operating, staring up at the bright light, with the happy juice being pumped into my arm. Thank goodness I didn't have to think about the moves.
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Hi slyhand,

I think I know why you are doing this, you want that people come to you to ask you to perform, right - is that the reason ... status?

to be honestly, don't you think it is possible that this could generate also somthing cheep, a strange taste. i, for exemple, could think "he needs attention - quite obvious!"

this would be contraproductive in that way, right?

don´t get me wrong, you said you did this quite often before. did you never get this awkward feeling that people think something like this?

what about a unmagical approach, just talking and not "hiding" behind a trick, to start with your person and not the trick?

rené
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Renricker7, thank you for your suggestion. I do talk to people. In fact I talk to people all day long. But sometimes its tough to bring up magic out of the blue.

Of course I want people to ask me to perform, I already stated this before and I stated why. Status? Not sure how you jumped to that.

No, I have never gotten an awkward feeling because of it.

I really don't think it was necessary to try to shame me.
I asked for suggestions, not whether I should or shouldn't.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
I like to do the same thing at the bar. Typically I just wear a magic inspired shirt, such as the "Want to see a card trick?" and "Want to see a coin trick?" that were put out by Creative Magic and the "Keep staring, I might do a trick" that you can find at Wal*Mart.

Coin rolls, ring rolls (a la De'vo's De'ring), balancing beer coasters on edge using an it reel or loops to hold it up, and I do the cigarette trick where it always winds up in your mouth the wrong way.

Some nights I do that to get people to approach me, others I'll approach them "hey watch this" and do something like 3 Fly

I was just playing with the turning the rose red with delite. where are you putting the light? it's not looking right to me.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Stand up and scream "look at me!". Then ignore everyone, they'll pay attention to you all night.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
When I go to a bar, I just want to have a drink and relax, not perform. I don't sit there trying to look cool with coin rolls, one-handes shuffles, and CERTAINLY not a flaming wallet. Very often if there is a band or other performer there they may recognize me and ask me to do something, and I always do. This happened Friday night. After my gig, I showed up at a little jazz bar to see some friends playing. The drummer saw me in the back and started doing "magic" with his sticks and stuff. No one knew what he was doing and it was really funny. When they took a break he came over and asked me to do something. I told him I would when they were done. So after they stopped playing, I had these guys sitting around and did some card and coin stuff. Before long, I had 9 people standing around and clapping. That isn't what I wanted and people kept asking me to do more. It was tough saying no, but I tried to explain that I already did that for 4 hours tonight at work. This was just hanging out with some friends. To guarantee I didn't have to do more, I tossed the deck to the drummer and said keep it.

There used to be a time when I would sit at a bar or restaurant and try and get attention so someone would ask me for a trick. Trust me, I don't belittle anyone who does that, but I don't think it looks professional. If you're an amateur and this is how you find an audience, that's fine. But since I do this 4 nights a week and get paid for it, I really don't need to sit by myself and try to get attention.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 22:34, slyhand wrote:
Shudder is gimickless?

From what I understand, two versions are taught on the DVD, one without a gimmick and one with. Energy Bill is also totally gimmickless, but that one might be best saved for after doing a couple other demonstrations to set a precedent that mysterious things are happening.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Slyhand why not just approach a friendly looking table 2 or 3 people and just ask if they would like to see some magic?
confidence is sometimes the only barrier to stopping people performing, my view is just go for it, if your polite and friendly in your approach, whats the worst they can say? no?
if I was in a bar and saw someone plucking lights out the air or fire shooting out his wallet I'd stay well away
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 22:34, slyhand wrote:
Shudder is gimickless?

From what I understand, two versions are taught on the DVD, one without a gimmick and one with. Energy Bill is also totally gimmickless, but that one might be best saved for after doing a couple other demonstrations to set a precedent that mysterious things are happening.
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Hi slyhand,

i´m sorry! I didn´t want to put you down in anyway, if thought that.

i´m german, maybe I can´t express myself correctly.

status? I was translating this word by "babel fish" and I thought it would make sense.

here what I ment:

in general, if I go to someone and ask to watch me perform, then I mostly make myself small, because I ask them to give me something - their attention. that means you would have a lower status (hope it make sense now!).

on the other side, if they ask you and you don´t react like a dog and jump on it and say yes, yes, yes, then you should have a higher status. in other words you give them something in a generously way. this should give you a higher status, as I said before.

this way, it should give you a better starting point and the performance should profit from that - in terms of heckling in all kinds.

this is what I thought was your reason to try to make them ask you to perform, instead to just go over and ask them wether you can perform for them or not.

all the thoughts I had in the last post where ment respectfully and in no way to attac you in any way.

I was trying to make a suggestion, if there would be the possibility to do it in a unmagical way - that I was thinking could, in context to the stuff above, be a much more effektiv way to start doing some magic - this where just my thoughts that came into my mind.

you look like a very sympathic guy on your tumbnail, by all means I didn´t want to make you to feel ashamed or what ever.

hope that clearyfied my thoughts!

rené
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Since I am an amateur I don't have a regular audience except my family, friends and co-workers. It's tough to perform as a magician in front of them because they know my true personality and tell me to stop with the act and just do the magic. When I perform for people I don't know, I am more animated which makes it more fun for me and them.
So, yes this is a way for me to actually practice for real.

I don't have problem with going up to a table if I am hired to do that. I am afraid the management will tell me to leave if I "bother" the patrons. Now if they ask me to do something, that's something different.

Anyway, I thank you all for your suggestions. I should be getting Energy Bill any day now.

Alec
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Slyhand,

Another thing to do is perform something visual for your friends at your table. You'd be surprised how many people gather around to watch.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 08:15, slyhand wrote:
My first thought was float something.
But I want to save that as a closer.

I love levitation more than just about anyone. In most cases, I would say that is the perfect closer! Take my next opinion with a grain of salt because I don't know you, your audience management skills, nor the establishments that you frequent. I'm speaking from just my experience only...

I've found the best way to break my IT is to perform a levitation effect for someone whose been drinking. Couple drinks in them, probably not a big deal, but drunk people don't seem to be able to stop themselves from grabbing at the floating item. Usually, it's not even to be rude or to ruin it, but their amazement and curiosity, partnered with a liquid lack of inhibition, seems to take precedent. Granted, any disorderly spectator may be inclined to reach out and grab the object, even if they aren't drinking. But, at least for me, I've noticed that drinking turns even the best, most respectful spectator into the "no-way... gimme that" guy.

Like I said, take it with a grain of salt. You might perform the floating in this setting and have NO problems whatsoever. Your personality and performing persona will dictate this. Let me know if you try it out, and end up not having problems because if so, I'd like to pick your brain! I like to think I have pretty decent audience management skills, but I guess also knowing what scenarios I'm not best in is helpful knowledge too.

Also, what IT set-up do you prefer for your floating effects?
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
One thing pat page dose is he sits at a table with pepole standing near it and shuffles the cards and when you look over he point for you to take a chair .and talks to you finds out yor with friends and then starts.

this is were I got the idea of wondering around with fiber opticts.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 01:09, MagicSanta wrote:
Stand up and scream "look at me!". Then ignore everyone, they'll pay attention to you all night.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE THE FOLLOWING.....

In the 1980's I worked as a waiter and the management decide to change the format and go to a "wacky and crazy" theme. I got hired to perform magic for the guests ( I think they call it table hopping today;-) It actually got me other places to work.

They hired a couple of other guys to be crazy and funny in the lounge.

We had three dining rooms. I'd go into one and say

"May I have your attention, I have an important announcement".

Dead silence as they all looked on. And then I'd say..

"Ah, never mind" and leave.

I did this once and the servers sold me folks were laughing. So, when I went back in, they all knew me.

Anyway, that's not the way you should do it. It was a different time and place. Nothing was PC and so looking back, I was pretty tame.

Seeing MagicSanta's comment made me smile and remember it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 14:20, pearljamjeff wrote:

Couple drinks in them, probably not a big deal, but drunk people don't seem to be able to stop themselves from grabbing at the floating item.

Also, what IT set-up do you prefer for your floating effects?

After a couple of drinks I can't help but grab it either.
I like loops or a beer bottle.

Rene, now I see what you were saying. Sorry I got on your case about it.

Mario, I'm usually at the bar solo getting hammered. Smile

Alec
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 07:52, renricker7 wrote:
Hi slyhand,

i´m sorry! I didn´t want to put you down in anyway, if thought that.

i´m german, maybe I can´t express myself correctly.

status? I was translating this word by "babel fish" and I thought it would make sense.

here what I ment:

in general, if I go to someone and ask to watch me perform, then I mostly make myself small, because I ask them to give me something - their attention. that means you would have a lower status (hope it make sense now!).

on the other side, if they ask you and you don´t react like a dog and jump on it and say yes, yes, yes, then you should have a higher status. in other words you give them something in a generously way. this should give you a higher status, as I said before.

this way, it should give you a better starting point and the performance should profit from that - in terms of heckling in all kinds.

this is what I thought was your reason to try to make them ask you to perform, instead to just go over and ask them wether you can perform for them or not.

all the thoughts I had in the last post where ment respectfully and in no way to attac you in any way.

I was trying to make a suggestion, if there would be the possibility to do it in a unmagical way - that I was thinking could, in context to the stuff above, be a much more effektiv way to start doing some magic - this where just my thoughts that came into my mind.

you look like a very sympathic guy on your tumbnail, by all means I didn´t want to make you to feel ashamed or what ever.

hope that clearyfied my thoughts!

rené

Hi Rene
I reckon the word you were looking for is "prestige"
Cheers
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
In answer to the original question, just start talking to people around you about any topic at all and when there's a little pause in the conversation say something along the lines of "hey, check this out" or "hey, I've been messing around with this-what do you think?"

If they like it and want more, they'll let you know. Otherwise just drop it and get back to drinking.

As far as drinking and "performing impromptu"...know your limits. If you've got a high tolerance for booze, like me, a few drinks won't put the whammy on your magic [as long as you've got the routine down to the point of it being second nature]. However, most don't know or accept their limits and they end up screwing up the magic or coming off like a jerk which is a disservice to all.

Just work it in casually and don't make a big deal out of it. Have some fun and ignore all the nonsense of overthinking the social psychology of it.

Hell, ya gotta realize you can just go out, have some fun and fry some brains without it being an attempt to fill some black hole in your psyche. "Impromptu" Magic in bars, done right, can just be a hell of a good time with no strings attached. Plus, ya may get some free drinks in the process.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting noticed in a bar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL