The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting noticed in a bar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
482 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
A fun bit of business to do, that monty touched on earlier, is with a d’lite. While holding a clear drinking cup filled with “water” and 2 matching d’lites , walk up to a neon sign that matches the color of your d’lite. Stare very closely at the sign long enough to make people notice you. When you know you have their attention slowing reach up and casually activate the d’lite and look slightly puzzled. “Toss” the light into your drink as you activate the other d’lite. Stare at your glowing glass for a second, smile, take a sip and walk far away. I guarantee one person will walk up to the sign.

Ryan
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 23:59, inhumaninferno wrote:
In answer to the original question, just start talking to people around you about any topic at all and when there's a little pause in the conversation say something along the lines of "hey, check this out" or "hey, I've been messing around with this-what do you think?"

If they like it and want more, they'll let you know. Otherwise just drop it and get back to drinking.

Hell, ya gotta realize you can just go out, have some fun and fry some brains without it being an attempt to fill some black hole in your psyche. "Impromptu" Magic in bars, done right, can just be a hell of a good time with no strings attached. Plus, ya may get some free drinks in the process.

Absolutely. Its a fun time. I want to have fun and I want them to have fun. If either one is lacking I am not doing it. And yes, I have a high tolerance and only do the ones I can do in my sleep.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Float a dollar bill.
ovationkc
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ovationkc
When I first was starting out in magic my friend Lanny, who became my mentor and I would stop after work for a few drinks at a local bar across from our office. It was there that he would pull out the "new" effects he was working on and run them by me. It was amazing how many folks were attracted when he simply pulled out a deck of cards and started shuffling them. A small crowd would gather whenever he would float a bill or napkin. That's how he attracted folks.

Now after I became more accomplished he would do a few effects then say to me hey why don't you do something for the folks. That's how he pulled me into it and off we'd go. One time after one drink more than I should of had, I was doing an effect called the "Gypsy's Curse". I was about half way through the routine when I just drew a complete blank as to what the next move was. Lanny saw the look in my eyes and just as if we had it planned he picked up the story and took the cards from my hands and continued on. When I gave him a nod he handed the cards back to me and I finished it up. Tag team magic we called it. He passed away recently and I do miss him. I always smile though when I think of that night and our tag team magic. That was the one and only time that ever happened to me while drinking. I learned my limits.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
It would be great to have someone close by to do that with. Imagine the possibilities.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
ovationkc
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ovationkc
It was a GREAT time. Even though I have been told I have a very outgoing personality I always found it difficult to just approach folks with the intent of doing magic. I could strike up a conversation on just about any subject but just never felt comfortable with magic. Once I start , however, it isn't a problem, it's just getting started. Lanny and I landed a few gigs by just doing a few things for each other at the bar and having folks watch us there. Like I said it was a blast and I miss him and those days. That's why I relate so well to your question, I'm in search for teh same thing now that Lanny is gone.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I set up Penacoin on one of the bar glasses. Then while someone is waiting for their drink to show up I move the glass over towards them and say "Can you please push straight down on this coin for me?" Once the coin goes through the rubber they usually freak out and want to examine the rubber which is fully examinable and then of course they ask how it was done which leads me into doing another trick. You can also use the joke that sometimes you can't always trust a rubber, it usually gets a good laugh in a bar situation.
Bill Martin
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Bill Martin
I never want it to look like I want attention but if I do a coin roll someone always thinks it cool. I make it vanish and they always want to see more. I don't have to pay for a drink the rest of the night. If you can't do a coin roll then where a top hat and cape, that always gets there attention.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Top hat and cape comment...funny.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 22:34, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 13:43, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
You'd be surprised how bad you can be after just a couple.

Depends on how much muscle memory you have. I once performed Crazy Man's Handcuffs while lying on an operating, staring up at the bright light, with the happy juice being pumped into my arm. Thank goodness I didn't have to think about the moves.

Operating table, that should have read.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
S2000magician, you're posting a correction to a post you made over 3 years ago? There's no need for that. It's not like you have low self esteem and go around correcting everyone's grammar on a magic message board in order to prove how smart you are.

:sun:
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
"Hi, sorry to bother you. But you would you mind helping me for just one minute. I just need someone to watch this. I've been working on it for quite some time..."

Hi = friendly, non threatening (hopefully. this will also depend on how you look).
Sorry to bother you = you're cognizant of the fact that you're interrupting them. this helps them trust you.
Would you mind = asking for their permission shows respect. not demanding.
Helping = most people want to help others.
Just one minute = the most important piece of theses sentences. sets a time structure in which they know how much time you'll be there.
Watch this = they know they won't have to actually do anything (i.e. carry a piano down some stairs)
Working on it, some time = implies that you do (whatever it is) a lot. therefore, it's probably (hopefully, again, lol) good.

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-11-03 18:11, Zombie Magic wrote:
S2000magician, you're posting a correction to a post you made over 3 years ago? There's no need for that. It's not like you have low self esteem and go around correcting everyone's grammar on a magic message board in order to prove how smart you are.

:sun:

;)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The passive approach just doesn't work with magic. If you want to perform, you must initiate the social interaction. You can't depend on anyone asking you what else you can do.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
As old as this thread is I'd like to know if anybody knows anything about the whole lighting a paper rose up with a D'lite bit posted in here, It just seems like there would be nowhere to hold it that would make it look like the thing was lighting up, rather than had a light behind it, any suggestions? cuz that sounds really awesom
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 22:07, slyhand wrote:
You are sitting at a bar... what do you do to get others around you to say, "Cool, what else can you do?"
I am not looking at setting off some f paper or just shuffling some cards.
I'm looking for something that's subtle but has a WOW factor.

Just grab an empty drinking glass and perform Garcia's trick entitled "Quarters." You'll have to do some serious practice though to get it down pat to where you can pull it off smoothly and fool people (and I can only perform the first two parts of the trick and I still need to practice more on the third part before I even think of performing the third part to the trick, I don't have a good muscle pass for the third part). I spent months just on this small piece of magic before I was good enough to perform it in front of strangers and fool the hell out of them. It was tough and fustrating to learn and required serious patience and dedication to get the performance of the trick down to the standard that it needed to be.

Now some people remark that is one of my best tricks, even better than Industrial Revelation (Industrial Revelation is a great trick that requires very little practice and it fools big time when you perform it). Amazing that when you really put some serious serious practice into a trick that requires a lot of skill...once you get it down really good after having long hours of fustrating practice to master it, it turns out that people will think that that particular trick is better than the trick that is easy to perform but is also a big time fooler.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2012-11-03 18:26, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
"Hi, sorry to bother you. But you would you mind helping me for just one minute. I just need someone to watch this. I've been working on it for quite some time..."

Hi = friendly, non threatening (hopefully. this will also depend on how you look).
Sorry to bother you = you're cognizant of the fact that you're interrupting them. this helps them trust you.
Would you mind = asking for their permission shows respect. not demanding.
Helping = most people want to help others.
Just one minute = the most important piece of theses sentences. sets a time structure in which they know how much time you'll be there.
Watch this = they know they won't have to actually do anything (i.e. carry a piano down some stairs)
Working on it, some time = implies that you do (whatever it is) a lot. therefore, it's probably (hopefully, again, lol) good.

~jamie

Thanks Jamie
I will try that.

I have since been performing a lot in restaurants and private parties.

I have used Magic Smoke V2 if sitting alone at the bar to garner all the attention I need to start having people ask me to do something. But since I have been very busy with the performing, My need for that type of practice is not really needed now.

Everyone was great in their recommendations. It is very much appreciated.

Alec
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
726 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 01:32, pepka wrote:
When I go to a bar, I just want to have a drink and relax, not perform. I don't sit there trying to look cool with coin rolls, one-handes shuffles, and CERTAINLY not a flaming wallet. Very often if there is a band or other performer there they may recognize me and ask me to do something, and I always do. This happened Friday night. After my gig, I showed up at a little jazz bar to see some friends playing. The drummer saw me in the back and started doing "magic" with his sticks and stuff. No one knew what he was doing and it was really funny. When they took a break he came over and asked me to do something. I told him I would when they were done. So after they stopped playing, I had these guys sitting around and did some card and coin stuff. Before long, I had 9 people standing around and clapping. That isn't what I wanted and people kept asking me to do more. It was tough saying no, but I tried to explain that I already did that for 4 hours tonight at work. This was just hanging out with some friends. To guarantee I didn't have to do more, I tossed the deck to the drummer and said keep it.

There used to be a time when I would sit at a bar or restaurant and try and get attention so someone would ask me for a trick. Trust me, I don't belittle anyone who does that, but I don't think it looks professional. If you're an amateur and this is how you find an audience, that's fine. But since I do this 4 nights a week and get paid for it, I really don't need to sit by myself and try to get attention.

AMEN!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I bring the biggest coin pail I can find and do Miser's Dream with silver dollars. I get complaints from people trying to watch a game or have a conversation, but they aren't qualified to choose what they want over the magic I perform.

I the last year I've only been asked to leave maybe 12 times.
hypnospook
View Profile
New user
Scotland
14 Posts

Profile of hypnospook
I play about with 3 card monte, and mention has anyone been to New York or Vegas and watched street performers, then I say its a complete scam, then after getting the attention of 1 person, soon a crowd gathers, mind you I believe it depends on the type of bar you go, also I have used hypnosis and had someone with their hand stuck to the bar, or a glass, maybe even amnesia, again this gathers a crowd
you should have a goal in mind, mine is, to get bookings, to get a gig, and of course to get tips and drinks, I have several bars I go to and have permision from the manager to do this, and if its quiet I am entertaining the bar staff, again, people will see this and again a crowd will form. many evening ive seen myself work tables, and again though not planned, the goal for me is to get a firm booking or to make tips, not to be a trick monkey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting noticed in a bar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL