The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Invisible Palm (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 07:08, SullyMagic wrote:
I'm not a beginner lol, I've been doing card magic for about 6 years.

In the US after six years you get to go to junior high school. Surely you're not suggesting that card magic is easier than reading, writing and 'rithmetic?

What Ben said, about slowing down... that. Additionally, you are waving your hands about too much. Consider what the effect is supposed to be. Are you making the cards vanish (implied by curling your fingers and opening them wide) or are you making the card invisible and keeping it in your palm. If the card is supposed to be invisible (the Jennings' effect) then your hand should always look like a card is pressed against the palm. The fingers should never close, or spread apart.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I have come across this guy on other forums. All he does is post links to his You Tube videos and asks for comments. If any are negative he argues and just wants an ego massage.
I take it some people just don't want constructive advice...
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-10 04:05, Lord Freddie wrote:
I have come across this guy on other forums. All he does is post links to his You Tube videos and asks for comments. If any are negative he argues and just wants an ego massage.
I take it some people just don't want constructive advice...

I too am familiar with 'this guy' and he is very mature and professional about his responses and opinions posted about his videos. Just because he asked for advice and states his opinion on that doesn't make him WRONG. I think its more childish to get upset that he has a different view than YOUR opinion. And if I am correct, he has stated that he is not intending to come off rude, arrogant, and immature. Who's to say what you're saying is rude? I think it is....but again that's just my opinion, that I'm entitled to. Honestly, what professional is going to start bashing this kid for having a discussion HE opened about his video?

Josh
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
You all may want to check out John Luka's version in his book "UNCOVERED". No tent vanish and his finish makes it easy. I presently use this version. This, by the way, is an excellant book. The card to wallet is worth the proverbal price of the book. I do the card to wallet first and then explain it using the Invisible Palm Aces.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-06-10 15:57, MerlH wrote:
You all may want to check out John Luka's version in his book "UNCOVERED". No tent vanish and his finish makes it easy. I presently use this version. This, by the way, is an excellant book. The card to wallet is worth the proverbal price of the book. I do the card to wallet first and then explain it using the Invisible Palm Aces.

that sounds great Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Here is a fairly well updated list (as of June 1st 2009) of the variants on the Open Travelers also called The Invisible Palm. I got help from lots of magicians in the Magic Café to put it together and I wish to thank each of them.

Bilis Bernard: Stars Of Magic DVD Series Volume Four: Bernard Bilis Routines include Open Travelers which he reworked in his lecture notes over the years. The original Tannen's Stars Of Magic Video series has been combined into this attractive box set. The Fifteen videos that were released throughout the 1980s and 1990s have been combined into nine DVDs. & Nouvelles notes de conférence : an excellent version with the spectators in mind rather than the performer’s ego. Technically very good namely (but not only) on the light handling of the double. & 100% Bilis DVD #2: a revised version using a gaff to be able to show the ace each time just a second before it travels.

Cervon, Bruce claims to have reinvented Bill Miesel's method used for "Invincible" (published decades earlier) and never credited him whenever he reprinted "Aerodynamic Aces." The invisible palming plot, according to Richard Kaufman was suggested to Bruce by Dai Vernon (after seeing Jennings' trick).

Chevrier, Arnaud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MngAHCjJJi4 a very clean version with a smart use of the lapping for the last card. The handling is seemless, the trick only needs a good script and some misdirection to be more magical. Also check Renaud Chevrier’s variant in Conjuring Chris’ hands at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oacijeKI1bo

Chretien, Yannick: David Stone And Jean Luc Bertrand present Yannick Chretien 2008 DVD by Close Up Magic and Magic Zoom: Two routines by Yannick plus David Stone’s one (performance only). Yannick’s handling is light and pleasant. His second routine which is part of an act is more impressive. David has a (non magical) move where his hand moves towards the audience with a card allegedly palmed which forces to focus on depth: Very interesting detail. http://www.close-up-magic.com/shop/ ***

De Camps, Eric. Stars of Magic DVD. Royal Travelers. The trick ends with the surprise kicker of a Royal Flush in Spades ending. The influence of the kicker ending was from a routine in Chris Kenner's book, "The Right Stuff" written by John Mendoza

England, Don: Technical Knock-Outs by John Mendoza & Lorayne's Best Of Friends Vol. 1, p 415 Open Travelers Plus by Don England expands on an Ackerman idea and the 4 aces change into 4 kings. There are the subtleties in the display of the cards: if his Tent Vanish is not as subtle as Bernard Bilis’ one, his Rub A Dub is a good insertion. & The routine is visible on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcORp6GxvY

Faré, Jean: Imagick Hors Série Edward Marlo (magazine: 2000 Ed Marlo Special issue): Open Travellers with only four cards

Finley, Arthur: Stars of Magic, Series 6. N° 2. p. 95. Fig. 9, 1950. « Dai Vernon’s Slow-Motion Four Aces », second method: Finley invented the Tent Vanish sleight by 1941. Commercial artist in New York City, Finley, an amateur cardman by the mid 1920s, was one of the 5 original members of the New York "Inner Circle" by 1932.

Fisher, Cody: Cody Fisher on Magic DVD Las Vegas Aces & Las Vegas Aces: a marketed gaffed version of the Open Travelers. In an effort to expose the secret techniques of Las Vegas gamblers we magically cause the four aces to travel invisibly from hand to hand. The last ace is magically rubbed through the volunteer’s hand. This is Cody’s Killer strolling version of the effect. What was once a very sleight intensive routine is now almost self-working. There is absolutely no sleight of hand or secret palming. Make no mistake about it; this routine is real magic.

Hallas, Paul: The Paul Hallas Files Vol 1 video (1989): Disguised Travellers; It concludes with the aces changing into kings. You start with just the aces and no deck comes into play. A standard handling but a patter angle borrowed from Harris's "Discount Deck". & "Dungeon" magazine: Disguised Travellers variant involving a Himber wallet.

Hamman, Brother John: The Secrets of Brother John Hamman Copyright 1989 by Richard Kaufman: the invisible card & Skipping Kerns: the hand movement between the card is interesting

Harris, Paul: Las Vegas Close Up 1978 p. 26 to 41. The P.H. Invisible Palm. Very interesting but includes the discrepancy of the switch in the middle and thus inferior to the improvements by Steve Spilman & Art Of Astonishment Volume 3 book. The P.H. Invisible Palm

Houchin, Wayne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRjJkpXFGU Invisible palm: His technique is classic but his patter is nice: first he explains the suspicion (Juan Tamariz Magic way) that the card goes up the sleeve across the chess and then down the other arm to join the first one (first effect) The replacement of the “palmed card” is perfect no side movement; His packet switch is correct on the timing. Then he show that when a card is palmed it always sticks out somewhere unless you can do it invisibly (second effect) by squeezing the card (and it looks like it’s gone, you can be natural with this). The replacement of the “palmed card” is perfect no side movement. There are small mistakes in the handling of the double (one adjustment movement before tabling and timing fault in the In Transit which is otherwise well thought out) & True Astonishment Paul Harris Vol 7 DVD: Invisible Palm by Wayne Houchin: You've seen the video of Wayne performing this for years, now learn all the finesse and handling he's brought to this PH classic.

Hilkemeijer, Mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ormWpQpIZY&NR=1 2007: Real Invisible Palm. Aversion with only four aces. Well designed. A bit of over proving that there are only four cards at the beginning but some smart handling then.

Givens, Joel: Close Up Up Close by Joshua Jay DVD 2 Rubbed Away by Joel Givens. The technique consists in building an impromptu double facer to do an even more convincing Rub A Dub Dub vanish. This is extremely smart and deceptive.

James, Wesley: Pasteboard Perpensions 1990 very nice section detailing the various forms of Ace assemblies with some history/credit details. (In private correspondence with Thomas Wayne –a s reported in the Genii Forum in October 2001- , Wesley James additionally mentioned his belief that the basics of the Open Travelers routine - only Aces used, individual vanishes and reveals, use of Findley "Tent Vanish", reference to palming "invisible" Aces - predate Jennings claims by some amount of time.) Whether James' peer relationship and familiarity with Vernon, Jennings and other of that era makes him an "authority" is, of course, a matter of opinion; Thomas Wayne had found Wesley James, however, to be a very accurate and thorough source of information regarding the history of many effects and was inclined to consider his opinion with a great deal of weight.

Jay, Joshua: Joshua Jay - Talk About Tricks Vol 1 DVD. Bonus: Overlap Open Travelers

Jennings Larry: Expert Card Mysteries 1969 by Alton Sharpe. Ed. Alan Keith. p. 41 to 44. Jenning’s Open Travellers. Presented as a completely new method to perform an ace assembly For the first time, the method requires palming & The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. 1986 Ed. L & L Publishing p. 144 to 149 Open Travellers is presented as the cleanest method for each and every ace effect. & Classic Magic The Larry Jennings DVD: The Invisible Palm. & Larry’s original performance and script can be enjoyed at http://furniturecorner.blogspot.com/2007......ers.html

Kaufman, Richard. Le Magicien 1994 N° 137 p. 4724 to 4726. L’empalmage Invisible. This no palm version stems from Bruce Cervon’s method. It was assembled by Gene Maze and Richard Kaufman. & "Jenning's '67" Kaufman and Company 1997 p 155 chapter called Evolution of a Classic Routine: "Invisible Palm Aces"; p 156 History 160 Invisible Palm Aces No. 1 (The Molecular Aces); p 160 Finley Tent Vanish; p 163 The Wave Production; p 164 The Tent Palm; p 167 Invisible Palm Aces No. 2; p 168 Tabled D'Amico Spread; p 170 Invisible Palm Aces No. 3 (The Appearing Aces); p 170 Small-Packet Hofzinser Bottom/Top Change; p 172 Gambler's Cop Vanish; p 175 Invisible Palm Aces No. 4 (The Numerical Travellers); p 178 Invisible Palm Aces No. 5 (The Lonesome Travellers & The Alpha Count Travellers); p 181 Snap Palm; p 182 The Alpha Count; p 183 Bottom Palm Vanish; p 184 Invisible Palm Aces No. 6; p 195 Invisible Palm Aces to Pockets; p 195 Version One; p 198 Version Two.

Kenner Chris: Totally Out Of Control, 1992 by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg p. 40 to 45: Travlrs 1. Thanks to a Clear double stik tape, the effect gains directedness in the handling of the extra card.

LaGerould, Terry: Pasteboard Presentations (1992). Gamblin' Shenanigans. Terry states that the effect is enhanced by the aces travelling face up to their destination

Luka, John: Uncovered – Secrets For The Serious Magician 2006 p 66 Open Travelers Plus Plus: A variation of Don England's "Open travelers Plus" designed to close "The Fun Routine". This version features no Tent Vanish and a final vanish of the last Ace that all of us can actually do & Reel Magic Quarterly - Episode 3 DVD. Off the Shelf John Luka presents his new book “Uncovered”, and then show and explains his nice variant of “The Invisible Palm”

Lyle, Christopher : Youtube no explanation for the last card (which he privately claimed was done using a pull). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiKTKh5gPbw Same good patter as Wayne Houchin but the last card is beyond understanding.

Marinni, Vinny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_s12ZIJV-U Snap Through The Mat: is a very good potential ingredient for the climax.

Marlo, Edward. The New Phoenix 1962 n° 375, December 1962, p. 329. The Open Travelers. & Malone Meets Marlo Vol 3 DVD. Open Air Assembly described in Jon Racherbaumer’s Card Finesse & Malone Meets Marlo Vol 6 DVD. Surrounded Open Travelers allows exactly what the title suggests. Marlo was claiming that the Open Travelers effect had been shown to him by Neal Elias in 1955.

Mase, Paul: Dominatricks by Tyler Wilson

Miesel, William M. The New Phoenix 1961 n° 362, p. 277 and 278. Invincible. It’s the same effect than the classic four ace trick except that, this time, the aces are no longer covered by three other cards. First version of the invisible palm.

Malone, Bill: On the Loose Vol 4 DVD an Ed Marlo version & Malone Meets Marlo Vol 3 DVD. Marlo’s Open Air Assembly

Mendoza, John: The Book Of John (vol.1) Open Travelers under the topic of The D´Amico-Spread

Nash, Martin: Master Card Magician Vol. 2 (in a series of 6 videos) Martin presents his version of Open Travelers. & The Very Best of Martin Nash Vol 1 DVD. The Invisible Palm: Martin Nash’s superb handling of Larry Jennings’ Open Travelers plot.

Norsigian, Gary: Tricks that will get you paid. Two-disc DVD set. “Invisible Palm Meets Phoenix Aces,” the magician shows how cards can be palmed invisibly, effectively making the cards in a packet disappear and then reappear. This is another visual trick that can work in close-up as well as stand-up.

Owen, Anthony: The Dungeon DVD Caravan Travellers Anthony Owen’s super-clean handling of Larry Jenning’s classic Open Travellers using sticky stuff.

Parker, Jack: Genii Magazine, June, 2007. Final Palm.

Powers, Mike: Top Secret stuff p 95 "Impossible Travellers" is a combination of the original effect and "McDonald's Aces". Power Plays High Voltage magic Open Travelers Transpo Redux is a routine crediting Don England’s one.

Racherbaumer, Jon. Card Finesse 1982 p 194: Open Air Assembly without extra card Ed Marlo's routine which appeared in the New Phoenix in December 1962 and was filmed in 1972 is offered again. Jon Racherbaumer, in 2000 wrote a private study entitled "Tracking the Open Travelers" with the following concluding remarks: "At the [sic] stage of the 'game', the provenance regarding this trick is still in dispute. However, Cervon's case seems more persuasive to me..."

Regal, David: Close-up and Personal: 1999 by Hermetic Press, Inc. p 10 Commercial Travel & Enough with the Tricks Already! Vol. 3 DVD: Commercial Travel

Rusli, Kent: Invisible palm: steal of the first card with the gambler’s cop but without real In Transit action. Like every other routine using the Ascanio spread, the spread is not a fan and this is regrettable. The laying down of the card is poor compared to other performers. The space management for the switch is fine.

Sankey, Jay. The Very Best Of Jay Sankey Vol 1 DVD. Smuggler Aces: A super clean "open travelers"

Sanvert, Jean-Jacques: Le Magicien 1993 p. 4477 to 4479 Sous les bandelettes de l’homme invisible [Under the invisible man’s bandages]. At the end the four aces change into a royal flush. & The Best of Jean Jacques Sanvert - World Champion Magic Vol 2 DVD 2008 by L&L Publishing. Invisible Flush Palm offers a startlingly new climax At the end the four aces change into a royal flush.

Savelief, Cyrille: Open Travellers (2005 booklet): based on Jean Farés translation of Marlo's solution but more direct on the last card.

Smith, Daniel: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanielSmith808?gl=GB&hl=en-GB A very clean handling of the double without too much demonstration along Renaud Chevrier’s lines

Spillman, Steve. Expert Card Chicanery 1976 compiled by Alton Sharpe. Ed. Alan Keith. S. S. p. 57 to 59. Addition to Open Travellers brings two new very smart moves to the effect.

Stone, David: Real Secrets of Magic DVD Vol 1 2006 by Jean-Luc Bertrand. Traveler. & Les vrais Secrets du Close Up. Vol. 1. A nice version adding a surprising finale where the Kings become aces. David credits Larry Jennings (Open Travellers), Yannick Chrétien (Ultimate Traveler) and J. J. Sanvert (Invisible Flush Palm).

Stone, Tom: Random Walk (2007 e-book) The Forbidden Palm. After considering whether the effect was about making the card invisible or whether it presented that the card was each time absorbed into the palm, Tom chose not to combine effects but to claim that, when the hand is pressed down hard on a card, it fades and turns invisible. The card is then handled as a flat and square piece of invisible matter. Technically Tom is the first to have introduced black art technique in the Invisible Palm like Henry Evans had done for the Three Card Monte but with, IMHO, a more subtle handling. This is a very interesting and intelligent routine involving structured misdirection in its design which thoughtfulness hasn’t been given enough consideration

Sullivan, Nick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZizYPY_AoQ

Swain, James : The Magic of James Swain Vol 4 DVD. Invisible Palm

Torrales, Hippie: Trapdoor magazine Issue #63, 1997. "Stealth Cards" In this version the last card is done face up with a move similar to David Roth's Pop Out Move with coins.

Vincent, Michael: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD38r0DYZl4&NR=1 A very interesting script with lively gestures and hand movements, an original way of presenting the tent vanish vertically before presenting it horizontally, a feint (the dropping card) which prevents the effect from being repetitive. Technically, it is definitely not the best routine, but in terms of entertainment and sharing with the audience, it is miles ahead of every other version: this proves that entertainment rules over technique. Not the slightest bit of arrogance and Michael’s irresistible smile which wins him any audience over. The main value of Michael’s routine however is that he is having fun together with his audience.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
This is one of my favorite effects.

I perform for people all the time.

Always a crowd pleaser.

I learned from one of Paul Harris videos probably in the early 90's.

Keep up the good work.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
I'd love to get help with my version...
But, I've only been doing it for a little while.
Got it off the Paul Harris box set... Added two things which I think are GREAT... but I feel that if I throw it up on youtube... it might be giving away a routine that isn't mine?

Anybody willing to give some pointers maybe on PM?

I generally don't session with anybody... I do have a weekly bar gig though... and I have been performing it.

I thought this version was GREAT... which now leads me to second guess mine Smile
Of course... I am not specifically speaking of the performance... but I felt the moves were in general, very nice.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Try the original by Larry Jennings.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If you check the list that I published, you can easily see that the Paul Harris handling is definitely not the best one (change of packet). The fact that the illusion itself is a crowd pleaser is not good enough in magicians' terms.

Searching for something for the first card, I ran across a Raphael Benatar which is a fantastic illusion and enables to lay down the first double card within an effect. The routine is in Elegant Card Magic Vol 1 and is called Kangaroo People. At the end of the effect, Raphael pulls out the two cards one by one when they could be easily placed as one to be able to take the other aces...

A perfect fit
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6640 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Watch Jennings do it. It is perfect.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
We Missed this one
Bingham, Euan: Free From Filler 2003 by Euan Bingham p. 19: Thanks to Jennings is a similar effect to Open Traveler

Magicfish
With due respect and for as much as I like Larry Jennings, his version is a starting point and not an end point resulting from perfection: there is no reason for the first card not to travel magically.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
We also missed
Conn, Doug: Tricks Of My Trade by Paul Cummins; Tricked Traveler is Conn’s conn-vincing invisible palm routine.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hi Nick,

As you've found out, if you are going to ask for comments to something on the Café, you'll need a pretty thick skin. (Although some of the suggestions have been very good.) You probably can't find much better advice than listening to Lawrence O. The guy is a veritable encyclopedia of magic.

Anyway, no advice from me, I'm too new at it. However, as someone not too far removed from being a layman, I would have been completely fooled by it if I didn't know something about the invisible palm already. You're definatley developing some nice chops.

Good job.
snape
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of snape
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 16:55, Lawrence O wrote:
...Searching for something for the first card, I ran across a Raphael Benatar which is a fantastic illusion and enables to lay down the first double card within an effect. The routine is in Elegant Card Magic Vol 1 and is called Kangaroo People...

Has this idea also appeared in print somewhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Invisible Palm (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL