The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » the 10 must to do's to being a children's entertainer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
What do you think the top 10 things you should have are to be successful?

Then, part two:
What 10 must you do every month to keep the shows comming in?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I'll start the ball rolling for you Dude:

Reliability/Integrity; a bright personality whilst entertaining and speaking on the phone; cleanliness and a non threatening appearance; a 'normal' healthy attitude to being around children and young people; a good show or programme of entertainment suitable for the age groups you entertain; also pitching your fees just right and being consistent with them, as parents do compare $s and £s with each other.

To keep the shows coming in? Well all of the above of course. But also what is the most cost effective and rewarding advertising medium in your location— ours are Yellow Pages and Internet searches (Google especially). If an entertainer is just starting though then other things are needed— i.e. advertising and Press reports in your local paper— lots of telephone numbered give-aways for the first year or so. Mothers (and fathers) talking at school, recommending you to friends etc. is any entertainer's lifeblood though.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
All what Ace said, plus treat every show as an advertisement for your services. Be on time, be smart, be polite and put in 110%.

I've an advert in the Yellow Pages, an advert in the Thomson Local, my website and my show itself— that's all I do or need to do to attract business. The colouring pictures the kids get at the end of the show just give the parents my phone number so if they're impressed with what they've seen they can phone me.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I would also add that you should be enthusiastic with every show. In a show, do a great show but also...enjoy it! If you start to get bored with what you do, it'll probably show. Look confident and have fun because if you don't, potential clients may have to think twice before calling.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
1. A good show
2. Business cards
3. Web Site, phone ad and or parent mag.
4. Flyers, coloring sheets and other handouts. (Referrals)
5. A phone (I think you need a cell phone)
6. Good resources (books, tapes), a mentor and/or find a network of people to work with
7. MUST SAVE MONEY!! (Separate account)
8. Work with an agent to fill in slow times.
9. Good Attitude, always looking to improve yourself.
10. A strong desire to do this for a living.

Part two, every month.

1. Look at your web site and promo stuff once a month. Fix, clean and update.
2. Create a mailing list with potential buyers and mail or email them. Keep building the list.
3. Work on one routine a month. Look for ways to improve it (maybe learn a new routine to filter out the weaker ones)
4. Make 3 calls a day to new clients
5. Make 3 calls a day to old clients
6. Send out thank you cards after every show and give every child something at every show.
7. Hand out at least 5 business cards a day
8. Do a show that gives you exposure (i.e. restaurant)
9. Read a new book on marketing or how to make your show better.
10. Take time off for your self and family. (I need help with this one!)
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Good lists Dude. I don't think some of the points in list one apply to us (we don't use agents and have done this for a living since Sept. 1980). Also some of your selling points are good but not necessary for us or probably Emazdad either. But the main thing here is that I've found with the Magic Café if you place a posting that suggests "I'm going to advise you" (whether you like it or not!) — then it can be a turn-off. But your sort of posting (and hopefully the ones I do too) pose questions, which are hopefully answered in an informative way, and in turn have the effect of advising.

Tony.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Yes indeed, it does pose a question and that's why I posted it. I would like for you guys to compose a list such as I. Maybe there are ideas in there that someone could use. I mean if you are full time since 1980 then there is a reason why?
www.magicalmemories.us
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A good list Dude, and if you're just starting out or not getting much work then all of them are useful. Once you get established you don't need to use them all.

Looking for work is far too much like work to me. I for one don't phone new or old clients for work, I hate cold callers myself and find that approach instantly turns me off whatever they are selling. I don't use agents— if they do phone me and I'm free I do the job, but I'm not bothered if they don't. I also don't do free stuff to generate work, the only freebies I do are occassional bits for charity but then it's only 1 or 2 a year.

Andini is right about enthusiasm, bags of it. Your main advert is your performance, that's what gets you the work.

Me and Billy do a lot of work and we're in the great position of actually being able to turn away work we don't want to do anymore (like summer fetes outside on a Saturday afternoon for example), instead of having to look for work.

I don't email or mail drop potential clients. Most will go in the bin unopened (that's where I put most of the junk mail). A good idea if you hate junk mail is if it comes with a pre-paid envelope, just put everything that they've sent you in it and post it back. if we all did that it would cost them a fortune.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Part 1:
What Do You Think The Top 10 Things You Should Have To Be A Successful Kid Show Magical Entertainer?

Although there are others, here is my top ten list of a SUCCESSFUL Kid Show Entertainer:

• 1. Must Have a Love for Children.
  • 2. Must Respect the Children, Assistants, Volunteers, Clients, and the Audience.
  • 3. Must Have a Love For Their Chosen Profession.
  • 4. Must Have a Genuine Enthusiasm For Their Chosen Profession.
  • 5. Must Incorporate Audience Participation Techniques.
  • 6. Must Properly Utilize Audience Management Techniques.
  • 7. Must Incorporate Humor Appropriately and use Humorous Props.
  • 8. Must Be Educational in Nature, and Use Educational Objectives for School Assembly Programs.
  • 9. Must Utilize Often the Birthday Child for Birthday Party Shows, truly make him/her a star, not you!
  • 10.Must Utilize Stories, Skits, Demonstrations, and/or Activities in Routines.

Part 2:
What 10 MUSTS You Do Every Month To Keep The Shows Coming In?

These were just off the top of my head on good marketing techniques. It is not limited to this list.

• 1. You must Promote your services to the target market audience weekly.
  • 2. You must try to get 10 quality "leads" a week.
  • 3. You must advertise in a "quality lead generating magazine" such as "Parent's Magazine" found in supermarkets.
  • 4. You must develop your monthly direct mailing campaign and stick to it.
  • 5. You must return calls within 24 hours or sooner for all inquiries.
  • 6. You must add one new promotional technique each month
  • 7. One Day Each month, evaluate your show and think of a way to improve on it.
  • 8. Don't ignore your learning...Improve on your Magical Education. Read a trade book, develop a new routine, and view a magic video each month.
  • 9. Gather a testimonial from each of your clients. Have them fill out an evaluation form.
  • 10. Review last year's clients and call them for a re-booking, or a referral.

Dude,

Just noticed your list after I posted mine. I started mine early this morning and finished just now and posted it. It is interesting on how much we placed similar things.
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Give 'em more than you promised.

That will make you a winner every time— and it's just one point to remember!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Den also note we live in the states, the other fellows live across the pond. Their lists are similar. Sounds like we have to promote more over here.
www.magicalmemories.us
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I think there are less than 10 that are essential.

Part 1.

1. Have a good show
2. Have a pleasant/likable personality
3. Have good personal hygiene
4. Be reliable
5. be Punctual

Part2

1. Have some sort of hand out for children that see your show with contact details
2. Have a non institutional ad that is customer focussed and call to action in a source that you have tested and proven to bring in new clients
3. Have a good show
4. have a good show
5. have a good show

Phillip
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2003-05-13 22:08, flourish dude wrote:
Den also note we live in the states, The other fellows live across the pond. There lists are similar/ Sounds like we have to promote more over here.

Maybe we're just better than you guys Dude! (Only Joking) Smile

One thing I think helps in getting a little extra work is to have a second telephone line. If you have a wife like mine who likes to yap on the phone, or kids on the Internet, then a second line is an essential. If you advertise in Yellow pages of any kind, and someone is looking for an entertainer, and you're phone is engaged, they'll go to the next advert. An extra line costs less over the space of a year than one show. So I thinks it's definitely worth it.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Maybe another hint should be trade in a wealthy area. We've just read that the area in which we live has been declared the "richest in England and Wales" (which probably means all of the UK as Scotland and N.I. I doubt could match this). Three of the areas in which we also trade have come in the top ten rich list.

Perhaps someone might like to convince all the parents in these areas that they are rich!! We can only maintain fees that are apparently very 'average' (nothing like London fees), and the areas are buzzed by every 'Mr Magic' from a 30 mile radius hoping to get a slice of the percieved 'action' or to pick up a 'celebrity' customer to add to their clientele list!! Maybe the advice should be trade in a poor area!!

Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Rich people get rich because they are often tight with money, I get more tips from normal people than the well off, and it's the well off ones that often try and barter the fee.

Billy's post about the second line is true, I got a second line soley for my business enquiries. The only time it's engaged is when I'm talking to another customer.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Emazdad,

Your conclusion is on the money!

I know more then a couple weatlhy families.

And they shop at Walmart and pinch every penny.

The average rich person does not act Hollywood.

-Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
For the much less then the cost of a second line, I have DSL (doesn't tie up the phone) and call waiting. If you're chatting with a friend and business comes in, you excuse yourself for a few minutes, close the deal and call your friend back, often offering to buy them a beer because you've got more work coming in.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
1 - Think of yourself and your show as a product that you are selling.
2 - Think of yourself as your client's friend.
3 - Charge the most in your area.
4 - Try to be the best in your area.
5 - Be proactive in getting work (mail outs etc.)
6 - Look good and have props that look good.
7 - Be reliable.
8 - Change your show regularly, adding new effects.
9 - Love your work.
10 - Don't have another job. Another job is a crutch!

Are couple will probably get some people's goat but hey it all works for me!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I think all you need is advertisement I know people who have ads everywhere and have a bad show but get lots of calls throw in a good act and you should be fine.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I just find that "active" marketing works better for me then "passive" advertising. With Passive advertising, I place and ad and hope and wait for someone to call me.

With active marketing, I am searching out for leads, calling people, sending out lead generation letters and doing follow ups. This way I am in direct control of the marketing effort.

It just seems to work better for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » the 10 must to do's to being a children's entertainer (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL