The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I know how it was done! REAL MAGIC. Kent Gunn was Merlin in a previous life.
between his Cups and Balls and this all I can say is WOW.

Made me set up straight and take notice.
Leo Jr.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Excellent!
Magic is a vanishing art.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Luigi,

I thought I had figured it out as well but after hanging out with Mr Gunn a couple weeks ago I found my thinking was FAR off base! Tis some devious thinking by the ol' Sea Dawg!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Don't you guys know you can't say midget any more. Smile
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Triumph... for magicians. Outstanding, but not as good as Vernon's.

Robert
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 20:47, Robert M wrote:

Robert

Hmmm. Not sure I agree. It's simple. To the point. I suspect laymen would love it.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Robert M,

Not for a moment do I believe ANYTHING I've ever done compares to Dai Vernon's work. I'll have to completely agree with you. The version I do is homage to Vernon's routine. Heck it is his routine with a slight variation in technique!

I can do my version better than I can the sequence in SOM. That's not Vernon's fault!!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
So good and simple (in appearance) that I stopped trying to figure it out, and am just enjoying the burn.

Good stuff Kent!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:

Robert

I don't know... I see what you're saying, in that this presentation of the routine feels tailored for card guys on a card magic forum, but I don't know that it couldn't easily be geared towards something for regular audiences.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I just told someone on facebook that one of my favorite things is when someone swears outloud in reaction to a card trick. I just did it. This is incredible! Another classic given the Gunn treatment. Triumph is my favorite trick. I often use Bannon's in the hand, or Zarrow on a table. I have NO idea how you did this Kent. I'm with Mickey, keep it to yourself.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Andrew,
It plays quite well in person and I think lay folk would get a huge kick out of it as is!

MMc
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Very nice! VERY nice!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
That scrambled my brain quite a lot to be honest
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quite simply: Ouch!

Back to the drawing board for me...

Syd
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 21:47, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Quote:

Robert

I don't know... I see what you're saying, in that this presentation of the routine feels tailored for card guys on a card magic forum, but I don't know that it couldn't easily be geared towards something for regular audiences.

I do think this routine would play well on magicians and laypeople alike.
If I may suggest one small thing, I think the one handed cut is very nice but perhaps not at the right time and at the place. In retrospect of the effect, some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'. I would do a 'fair' cut that confirms the mixed condition as in the Vernon routine.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 09:28, magicator wrote:
some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'.

My wife (non-magician) said "He separated the cards and reversed them".
I think this is the vital week part in the handling.

As magicians are quite sure that he did not pull out the cards, that part is no problem to magicians.

Hideo Kato
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 20:43, MickeyPainless wrote:
Luigi,

I thought I had figured it out as well but after hanging out with Mr Gunn a couple weeks ago I found my thinking was FAR off base! Tis some devious thinking by the ol' Sea Dawg!

Mickey,

I'm very likely to be off base, for sure. After racking my brain for a while, I now have a method with which I can reproduce the effect. It could be the wrong method, or the right one, but now I have an idea, you see, and so that wonderful feeling of being fooled has been substituted by the (wonderful, but qualitatively different) feeling of appreciating an exquisitely built effect.

It's just the way my brain works, I like to solve problems, and this put that famous burr under my saddle, and I just had to figure it out. I'll say, though, if I hadn't had the opportunity to watch the video over and over again, there would have been no way in hell for me to figure anything out.

Thanks again Kent for showing us your work!

Luigi
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Luigi,

I'm envious! Even if you aren't accomplishing it with KG's handling, you've still solved a very cool puzzle! As time goes by my mind is beginning to work in these directions but I doubt I'll ever be a creator! Good news for me is there are guys like you and Kent that are and I can learn the trick as written and then add my own nuances!

MMc
Jared Cassidy
View Profile
New user
Huntsville, AL
37 Posts

Profile of Jared Cassidy
This is excellent, Kent. I have a feeling you used some imps like the ones found on the Kellar and Thurston posters of yesteryear.

Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL