The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 10:23, Hideo Kato wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 09:28, magicator wrote:
some laypeople may think that this is where he 'did something'.

My wife (non-magician) said "He separated the cards and reversed them".
I think this is the vital week part in the handling.

As magicians are quite sure that he did not pull out the cards, that part is no problem to magicians.

Hideo Kato

I have to think about that one. I'm not sure a laymenn would jump to that conclusion if they saw the cut in person.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
For what it's worth, now that the mechanics are understood, by some. Here is a much rougher earlier version. This is proof positive that less is more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_oGxY1zgfA

This is a similar handling except I use the four aces, in different spots instead of the single selection.

There's a tell in here that gives it all away. If you see it, keep it to yourself, PLEASE.

KG
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Tis the version I fell in love with! Kent's uncensored patter that sometimes accompanies this version makes it all the better!

MMc
rhomes
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of rhomes
Kent, I am pretty sure I know the method you used. If I'm right, it is similar to one described in a recently published beginner's magic book. But your management and technique in spreading the cards was absolutely stunning -- I still can't figure out how you did that so beautifully!! Thanks.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Rhomes, I don't think anyone is disputing that the basic method(ie not doing a stripout) has been around for a long time. When you get down to basics, either you are false shuffling or you are really shuffling but doing something to make the real shuffle not matter......

It's the replacement, the fans and the fair spreads that is new(well new-ish as applied in routine, not saying R* spreads in general)

While it may kill the "no sleights" handling you have here, I'd still prefer to see a half-pass at the end instead of the open turnover... even if a magician catches a halfpass you are so far ahead of them at that point it won't matter, and for laymen it takes away the open reversal and turns it into an open cut.

Also, I dislike that I am chiming in with the really cliche "Oh darn you shouldn't release this on video" statement, but this handling really makes people hang themselves on backtracking, and its too bad that with the video they can backtrack to see visually what they psychologically saw the first run through.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Hopefully we won't be seeing any shoddy attempts at "their" version any time soon!
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
I really enjoyed watching this. I've toyed with this very same concept, but couldn't find a way to make it work in a routine without completely sidetracking the plot. Well done!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I liked the four ace triumph as well - great stuff Kent.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1804 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Darwin Ortiz has some work on the same method at least in few of his routines. However the ribbon spread convincer I havent seen elsewhere.

Juha-Matti

PS this topic just proved how little most of this forum users really know about card magic Smile
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 21:47, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 20:47, Robert M wrote:
Triumph... for magicians. Outstanding, but not as good as Vernon's.

Robert

I don't know... I see what you're saying, in that this presentation of the routine feels tailored for card guys on a card magic forum, but I don't know that it couldn't easily be geared towards something for regular audiences.

Andrew makes a good point.

Robert
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 12:01, korttihai_82 wrote:
Darwin Ortiz has some work on the same method at least in few of his routines. However the ribbon spread convincer I havent seen elsewhere.

Juha-Matti

PS this topic just proved how little most of this forum users really know about card magic Smile

Or, you could look at it differently. This topic could be proof that there are people on this forum who know a great deal about card magic and appreciate it, much in the same way that oenophiles cherish fine wine.

Some of us even love card magic so much that we wouldn't do anything to tip subtle work on a forum that is easily accessible to the general public. Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
I just saw this and enjoyed it very much. Too many times I think we look at the videos on youtube and start to over analyze them to death. Watching this made me feel like a kid again and why I enjoy watching great magic.

Bravo Mr. Gunn

John
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 12:36, BarryFernelius wrote:

Some of us even love card magic so much that we wouldn't do anything to tip subtle work on a forum that is easily accessible to the general public. Smile

This is fantastic. Thank you, Barry!

No kidding.
Jonathan_Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
211 Posts

Profile of Jonathan_Miller
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 12:36, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. That's the problem with youtube though. This fooled me the first time I saw it but the second time through (a benefit I wouldn't have gotten from a live performance) I was able to figure things out. Rather than post what I saw on the forums I sent the author a PM saying basically "Great job. You fooled me bad. Now take it off youtube before people figure it out and spoil the fun for everyone else!"
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
If I don't toss this stuff up there. Nobody gets to see it. Some would say, "GOOD".

I realize repeated viewings of any magic trick will wrest the secrets more often than not. It's not about keeping the secrets. It's about enjoying the magic. I love magic, I love to watch stuff I've never seen before. I love to do magic of my own concoction. This forum has been a great deal of fun for me.

I thank you all for your inputs, thank you all for your compliments.

KG
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I don't think the sharing of excellent magic performances is the issue.

And Kent, yours are indeed excellent. Thank you for sharing this.
Jonathan_Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
211 Posts

Profile of Jonathan_Miller
No I agree that material should be shared. I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

I agree with Daegs on the half-pass. If you were performing for a lay person and did this with a half pass, the effect would look like you literally did nothing to straighten out the cards. Doing the false cut always leads to people thinking that you can obviously manipulate the cards vs doing nothing looks like magic.

Regardless, this really fooled me when I first watched it. This is up there with your cups and balls as a real fooler. Fantastic work.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 17:04, Jonathan_Miller wrote:
No I agree that material should be shared. I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.

Exactly!

Kent, I look forward to seeing more of your great magic in June.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 17:04, Jonathan_Miller wrote:
I just think its a shame that not everyone knows how to respect it once it has been.

Agreed. And well said.

Kent, you deserve our thanks and respect not just for coming up with splendid work, but also for stimulating our own thinking and creativity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL