The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rhucko1
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
126 Posts

Profile of rhucko1
The single card version fooled me bad! Even after repeated viewings... Unfortunately, the four ace version screamed the answer. I guess because it is more subtle with a single card than with four.
"Card experts agree that the colour change, or transformation, is one of the most magical effects possible with a pack of cards."
- Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig by Lewis Ganson & Dai Vernon
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
'tis a thing of beauty brother! Congrats!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Excellent, very well done
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
528 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
Woaw! Beautiful! I think I haven't read the right books - yet! Not a single clue...
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I appreciate all the great ideas. Trouble is the intention, when I devised the routine was to have it be apparently MOVELESS. Yes there are some sleights and techniques in the routine. It was designed for you guys, NOT for layfolk. If I do triumph for laypeople, I do a slop shuffle. It is a stronger, more emphatic display of mixing the cards.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I thought, as I PMd Kent, that it was done with some gaffed cards and I love the idea that I was wrong. I also like the single card version better. Great work.

... as you can see, Kent, it's another triumph !!!

From now on we might have to call you Shot instead of Kent... Gunn
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
Very nice! Fooled the hell out of me!

After about 10 viewings, I finally got it, but that's a nice method, especially for fooling fellow magi's!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Although most of us feel the single card version is better than four Aces version, the latter can be also very good if the four Aces were scattered face up in the face down spread (or face down in face up spread).

Hideo Kato
Mihai Iacob
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Mihai Iacob
Mr.Gunn,

Thanks for the excellent ideas involved in the effect. I'm a really big fan of this, and I can't wait to start working on other applications. Looking forward for more stuff from you.

Mihai
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Kent - first thanks for showcasing your work.

I was stunned at first (am still stunned but that's from starting Friday happy hour at 11am today!) and thought it was due to a case of a cardman fooling a beginner. Am glad to read so many vetern card guys were fooled too.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Tony,

Thanks for all the props in your blog! I had no idea the guy that ran the GGG was so cool.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
And that's why they call ya "The Cucumber" brutha!
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
610 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Really, really nice!

... and some ballsy displays (if my thinking is right, which it isn't always!)

Thank you for sharing Kent.
Chris Brown
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Chris Brown
*Faints*

Show me this at the next Friday super secret meet.

a student,
Chris Brown
Buy Venus Trap here -
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Buy Orbit Control here -
http://store.dananddave.com/orbit-control-chris-brown.html

myspace.com/orbitbrown
youtube.com/orbitbrown
twitter.com/o
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
CB,

Anytime brudda. In ten years, I'll be fatter and uglier.

You kid, you'll be freakin' famous!

KG
jerry100won
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas Texas
270 Posts

Profile of jerry100won
Wow, that was incredible and with no gaffs simply outstanding and super clean
Jerry

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
There's a certain "economy of information" aspect to most theatrical movies, simply because the average film is around 80 - 90 minutes long and most stories of any substance are complex enough to make that a pretty tight schedule. So if, earlier in the movie, the characters take time to discuss the hero's grandfather's old pocket watch [that the hero inherited] (for example), you can be pretty sure that watch is going to be important later in the story. There is simply not enough time to waste on details that aren't important to the plot. What this means is that - if you're paying attention to the details while watching a movie - you can often predict what's going to happen later by what you've already seen.

Many times magic tricks are the bound by a similar economy. A magician who has a reasonable knowledge of technique (and is actually paying attention) can often discern method by simply noticing small details. That's why this routine didn't fool me. The inverted reassembly of the decks halves immediately following the selection is a minor detail, but a major tip off if you notice it. Also, I only know a few practical needs that a reverse thumb fan would serve, and (given the economy of Kent's routining) there obviously had to be a good reason for that.

It also doesn't help any that I love the Triumph plot and have bothered to learn a few versions over the years. All that said, I liked the concept, and this is one of those routines that make me wish I could take off the magician's goggles long enough to see it through a layman's eyes.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
SnorkelMaui
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of SnorkelMaui
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 10:34, ilmungo wrote:
I think I just peed my pants a little... Smile

You were "lizzin"
(if anyone watches 30 Rock tv show you'll know that one)

Wow Triumph blew me away.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2776 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Wow Kent,

I love the idea a LOT. What a great performance. Simple and direct.

It really fooled me bad the first 2 times. As mentioned if you'd done it for me in person, I'd be floored.

I agree with Thomas about the reverse thumb spread. I don't wanna say this but . . . I fan cards with both hands, if you can fan with your left thumb, then that will solve your reverse fan discrepancy.

This is by far the cleanest Triumph that I've ever seen.
Greg Rostami

P.S. I like the one card reveal . . . keep doing it your way and forget the Aces.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Greg, TW,

For magicians (and darned few magicians at that!) the RF is a tell. I can fan in either hand. I cannot yet fan to this trick's requirements in the right hand yet. Luckily there is no limit on how much practicing I can do!!!!

Thomas, glad you liked it. I'll pull the tell just for you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL