The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Job Security (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
I was just wondering how well the job security is going with all of the restaurant magicians out there. Had a couple of friends email me and tell me that they were let go until business picked up; one was working at a restaraunt for 8 years. So how's the market, still pretty stable?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Deuce
View Profile
New user
Okaloma
18 Posts

Profile of Deuce
Hello,

I believe mine is pretty stable. At Lone Star, there's talk of having me a second night. Then at Red Lobster, we are getting a new GM, whom I have not met yet, but the other managers there have told me I will keep the job, and that there will be no problem with that.

On Mother's Day, two of the managers (not the GM) told me to come and work 6 - 9 Mother's Day night, and if the GM did not like it, they would take care of it themself, and I would be paid. I went, saw the GM, and he said "Hey, you're here! Great! Just go do whatever you want, have fun, and give me the bill at the end of the night!" (BTW, this GM is easy to work for! great guy! but, he is moving to the Dallas area.)

Anyways, I feel both of my jobs are pretty stable, the places I work are BUSY every night I am there. When I went in to work tonight (I was a half hour early) there were already two tables waiting for me! So, with the crowd it's drawing, I don't see anything to worry about.

Deuce
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Job security?
Even in the best of times, it's questionable.
If you want job security, get a government job!
Smile
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Got the government job (active duty Navy), but even that is iffy. Looking at another drawdown.... Smile
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-05-14 06:03, Peter Marucci wrote:
Job security?
Even in the best of times, it's questionable.
If you want job security, get a government job!
Smile

Shhhh Peter! Now everyone will want one.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Odd that the restaurant let you go until business picks up...many who do this type of work claim that the reason that they are hired is to pick up business on a particularly slow night.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
A lot of performers I know have been telling me that this has been the slowest year for them in a long time. For me, it's been the busiest. I think a lot depends on the performer, their marketing, and everything else.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kid Iowa writes: "Got the government job (active duty Navy)."

Well, remember the slogan:

"Join the navy. See the world. Learn a trade. And, every 10 years or so, give total strangers a chance to kill you!"

Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've talked with other magicians who have also performed in restaurants. They question whether they're really increasing business for the client. But, then again, most don't get to look at the books, like a manager does.

What seems to be much more important is the perception of value. If you're on very good terms with management and the staff, that is a big plus. If you're getting great reactions from customers and they make positive comments, that's another plus. You just have to be very good at schmoozing! A positive attitude is a must.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Job Security (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL