The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Arby's is brutal! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
My son, who just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago, started his first job at Arby’s last night. Understandably, he made a mistake on the register within the first hour and cost Arby’s $8. The manager promptly told him it would be taken out of his pay, which is only $7.15 per hour! Is this right or wrong? Heck, is this even legal?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Actually, I think it's the best way to learn.

When I was his age, I was putting in thirty hours a week on two different jobs while going to school--fifty plus hours during the summer break, and I learned responsibility with money very quickly. I wasn't coddled, but I didn't need to be.

Now, breaking glasses or setting the place on fire...those things might be overlooked.

But at the end of the day, if the register doesn't balance out, it comes out of your pocket.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Not something I would do as a manager, but its pretty common.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 12:14, Ken Northridge wrote:
My son, who just turned 16 a couple of weeks ago, started his first job at Arby’s last night. Understandably, he made a mistake on the register within the first hour and cost Arby’s $8. The manager promptly told him it would be taken out of his pay, which is only $7.15 per hour! Is this right or wrong? Heck, is this even legal?

I think, that is illegal to do. Write your AG in your state and ask.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I wonder if you make the mistake the other way around, if they put the extra money in your pay... Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Happened to me working at Day's Inn Gift Shop in Florida,... and it wasn't even my drawer, I was just helping out with the rush!!! It was $200 short...I got pizzed and quit. Not much later they caught the girl who's drawer it was, stealing again.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Typically, in most states, they can't do it. Who knows what he signed as far as an employment agreement?

They can fire you for it though.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-17 15:38, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I wonder if you make the mistake the other way around, if they put the extra money in your pay... Smile

Good point! I'm betting not!

Quote:
On 2009-03-17 15:43, Vandy Grift wrote:
Typically, in most states, they can't do it. Who knows what he signed as far as an employment agreement?

Ha, no agreement whatsoever. I sense he may have run into a bad situation and has one those bosses that caused me to ultimately want to do magic shows for a living. And I, in no way, attribute to the fact that his boss looks like he has very few teeth and has eaten a few too many roast beef sandwiches. Smile
www.KenNorthridge.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Lol! I'd check into it. But I'd wait for the paycheck to come and see if it was actually deducted before I made a big deal about it.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
How many times do these places screw up orders and have to make another sandwich? $8 is way too little for a manager to go crazy over if you ask me.

I went to an Arby's (which is now closed up) and was the only one there (prime dinner time too, 6:30). The person did not make a wrong substitution in the sandwich, but made a completely different one and had to do it all over again. The error probably only cost them $2, the sandwich was $6.
-Matt
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That's a little different. I doubt anyone would think that the employee took the wrong sandwich and put it in thier pocket. Which is always a concern when a register comes up short. When the till is short you can't be sure if the person just made a mistake, or is ripping you off. That's why it's more worrisome than screwing up a food order or breaking something.

Not to mention that the cost of a sandwich (to the customer) isn't the same as the price of the sandwich (for the business). So you can't really go by the menu price of a sandwich when comparing the two situations..
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 12:14, Ken Northridge wrote:

If his actions cost the company $8, even inadvertently, then what's wrong with him paying back the company for the error he made? Not only is it responsible, but the repayment will help prevent the same error from occurring again in the future, especially as he'll have to work more than an hour to compensate the company.

You think $8 being taken out of your paycheck is bad? Wait until he sees what other punitive amounts of money are taken out. You say he's making $7.15/hour? Assuming he's single, working in New Jersey for 40 hours a week, and has no deductions taken out, he's really only seeing about $5.95/hour on his paycheck. In any given 8-hour day, he'll see almost $10 taken out of his paycheck every time.

Personally, I think $8 taken out one time is much less to worry about than $48 that's being taken out every week.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 18:07, Scott Cram wrote:

If his actions cost the company $8, even inadvertently, then what's wrong with him paying back the company for the error he made? Not only is it responsible, but the repayment will help prevent the same error from occurring again in the future, especially as he'll have to work more than an hour to compensate the company.

You think $8 being taken out of your paycheck is bad? Wait until he sees what other punitive amounts of money are taken out. You say he's making $7.15/hour? Assuming he's single, working in New Jersey for 40 hours a week, and has no deductions taken out, he's really only seeing about $5.95/hour on his paycheck. In any given 8-hour day, he'll see almost $10 taken out of his paycheck every time.

Personally, I think $8 taken out one time is much less to worry about than $48 that's being taken out every week.

A company can't be allowed to break the law as that it opens up other abuses to take place. Like...working over time without being paid, etc.

They can teach a lesson by cutting the schedule if they want. You work 20 hrs. next week you work 10. That they can do.

I'm not against the lesson, I'm against a giant food chain breaking the law.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-17 18:07, Scott Cram wrote:

Later down the road, he may prove to be an excellent employee, giving good customer service, helping his company to make millions. Do you think his company will let him share in those millions? The lowly employee does not deserve the millions because he is not taking the risk, nor does he deserve to share in its lose either.
He deserves the lowly wage he is promised.

If it were a habitual occurrence, I can see the company taking some kind of action. But again, we are talking about the first hour of his employment--a training session you could say.

Your point about taxes is well taken, but that's another story.
www.KenNorthridge.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did he give change back wrong or something? Unless it was intentional then no I don't think he should because that is part of business.

When I played cashier at Home Depot I was off by $20 once, only time I was ever off. I told 'em that the drawer was broken and when I opened it that $20 flipped back into the cabnet and I told them it was there. They looked at the video, saw I didn't do anything wrong, and that was that. Later I took apart the cabnet and found the $20 and gave it back to accounting which caused more problems than when I lost it. But they never expected me to 'pay it back'..

Hey, ask that kid what they make the 'roast beef' out of, it sure isn't cattle.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'd walk.

I work so that they will pay me, if they want anything back they better have a court order. This stuff only works because too many people will just accept it.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Not without his consent. It may just be a scare tactic to encourage him to be more careful. But if they do deduct the money ... you can call your State's Department of Labor and file a complaint there.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I was once offered a job at a kiosk. One of the conditions on the employment agreement was that if product got stolen while I was working, it would come out of my pay. Keeping an eye on the product and protecting it is challenging enough, but it's impossible to be invincible. And that is not even a problem with giving the wrong change, etc. That also was to come out of my pay.

Naturally, I turned down the job.

Read things before signing them.

- Donald

P.S. If he was brand new, and has never been trained properly with handling money & the cash register, he should have been supervised very closely. In my opinion, the responsibility should be more on the supervisor to start with.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
If it were a habitual occurrence, I can see the company taking some kind of action. But again, we are talking about the first hour of his employment--a training session you could say.

Definitely gotta blame the trainer with this one. Basically, the trainer should be the one handling all of the transactions for the first hour or two, and the new employee just watches. Then allow the new employee to handle the transactions, and have the trainer watch every move.

But it's always easier to blame the new guy!!
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'd file a multi million dollar law suit against 'em. LOBO!

Really, I can't imagine other than if he intentially gave away eight bucks how they can do this. I worked with a lovely woman who left over $100k worth of parts on a trash pail and the janitor tossed them out. She didn't even get a warning though they wanted to fire the innocent janitor. I think it is an idle threat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Arby's is brutal! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL