The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joining a society (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Is it worth it for a beginner to join a society like IBM? Or would it be advisable to wait until I have more knowledge and experience under my belt.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Societies are a good source of information, advice, and comradery, especially for a beginner. I would look into the closest Ring(IBM) or Assembly(SAM) near you and inquire about visiting them as a guest. This will allow you the opportunity to see for yourself what they each have to offer and if it meets your expectations.

http://www.magicsam.com/index.html for SAM
http://www.magician.org/index.htm for IBM
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kernel,
Magic societies -- the IBM and SAM, for example -- are designed especially for those who do NOT have tons of experience and knowledge.

Their purpose is to help burgeoning magicians expand and grow.

I've been in magic for more than half a century and, if I had to do it all over again, the biggest change I would make is that I would join the IBM and SAM at least 10 years earlier!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
GeorgeG and Peter Marucci hit the nail on the head. If you can't afford a personal tutor, then the next best thing is to join a Magical Society. I have just recently joined the I.B.M and belong to a local ring #339. Why I waited so long to join a club is beyond me and now I am in the position to learn at an accelerated pace. You will have plenty of opportunities to practice in front of "knowing" eyes and get a real honest appraisal. Family and Friends may mean well but if yours are like mine, they are less than honest when asked, how did it look? Only with honest appraisal can you really feel confident to perform for the public and really entertain and amaze them.
Magically Yours
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Just a middle question here: What is the difference between IBM and SAM.
Jonatan Bank
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Some people advise joining whilst others say don't. I guess it's just down to personal preferance and experience.

Socrates
robin_martin
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of robin_martin
Yeah I'd recommend you join one if you just beginning. You can learn a lot from people who've already been where you are and done it all before.
The secret of the mind is the secret of the self.
http://www.robin-martin.com/photorecall.html
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-06-18 09:16, Jonatan B wrote:
Just a middle question here: What is the difference between IBM and SAM.

IBM is often confused with a major computer company while SAM is often mistaken as a popular discount retailer.

Other than that (and internal politics) there is very little difference between the two orgainizations and many magicians belong to both.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I'd say join a local society, but try to find one where people have the same interests as you to start with. Later on, when you want to expand you horizons, join a group with more variety!

James.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
When I used to live in Winnipeg the SAM meeting every month was one of the highlights of my month. I rubbed shoulders with the likes of James Ceilan and Dean Gunnerson and I was a spaz! Where else can a beginner get experience like that!? Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The IBM or International Brotherhood of Magicians and the SAM Society of American Magicians are similar. Both are fraternal organizations made up of a national office with national officers and local Assemblies if it is the SAM and Rings for IBM.

Not so much unions as they are akin to guilds in the arts. Like minded people with similar interests who gather, usually monthly, for a business meeting. (organizations have to have business meetings) followed by magic presentations done on a voluntary basis by members, and eats afterwards.

Each local has different things depending upon the current officers' enthusiasm. They may sponsor picnics, teach ins, lectures, banquets, auctions, theme nights even a convention for the more ambitious ones.

Meetings are in community rooms, or church or school basements etc. They may even meet in homes of the members on a rotating basis.

It is nothing to be afraid of, you will find members at the beginner level as well as seasoned vets. Some don't even do magic -they collect it.

You can't go wrong so go for it. Contact the national via their web pages, just put the names into a search engine and see where the closest ring or assembly may be to you.

Many people join both and each organization has a monthly magazine worth receiving. Best of luck! Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3218 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I did get to attend a couple of SAM lectures many years ago which I had to pay for. One was by Jim Sisti, and the other was Troy Hoosier. Societies are the only way I know of to get lectures by great magicians like these. SAM members went for free.

I joined the SAM last month. I joined for two reasons. I heard SAM was going to perform at the local home for children without parents, and that impressed me. I also found out they were also going to have Michael Ammar give a lecture that only SAM members could attend. I bought his first book, “The Magic of Michael Ammar”, years earlier. Getting the chance to meet him was certainly a big incentive to join. These were good reasons to join, but I blew it not joining sooner. By the way, Mr. Ammar’s performance was astonishing and his lecture was awesome! Even some of the tricks where I knew the secret still astonished me!

There were a couple of routines I have done for a long time, but I have already learnt better handlings for them in just two meetings!

I just left my first real public performance about two hour ago! Our assembly performed for an 8th grade graduation ceremony. Next week we perform at the childrens' home. Performing like this is optional, so it shouldn’t scare you away, but I cannot express strongly enough just how rewarding and how much fun it was.

A few weeks ago, our assembly attended a magic auction held by a local IBM Ring, and I felt the same type of camaraderie with them that I felt with the SAM group. I joined the SAM assembly as opposed to the IBM Ring because the assembly meets in the city I live in, and the IBM Ring meets about a half an hour away.

Join now!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi

I also can't say enough about joining a club. Lectures, networking with other magi's, and good ole comeraderie one feels when you all share the same interest or passion.

Kernel,feel free to pm me regarding going as a guest (although I'm not sure if you're in the Lower Mainland) Either way I'll try to help out. Smile
Presto
View Profile
New user
Poland
5 Posts

Profile of Presto
I am a magician from Poland, and I am a member of 2 Polish organizations (one is a member of FISM). Is it possible to be a member of IBM or SAM if I'm not living in the USA? I know that some IBM rings are in Europe (not in Poland). How is it possible to make contact with them? Maybe there is some possibility of opening a new IBM ring in Poland?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Presto,

Check out http://www.magician.org
Smile
Presto
View Profile
New user
Poland
5 Posts

Profile of Presto
Thanks Chrystal. I will send the form today. So mabe I will be a member? Maybe we can open a new Ring in Poland? Who knows? Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Good Luck Presto! If you need help with anything, perhaps I can assist and put you in contact with those that know about how to start up a new ring/club.
Smile
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
What are the prices for IBM and SAM?
As I will move to the USA (IND) for 11 months I wish to find a magic club of some sort and where should I search to find information about the different societies available?

Have a good time all of you! Smile
Jonatan Bank
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2003-06-24 12:28, Jonatan B wrote:
What are the prices for IBM and SAM?

Jonatan,

The IBM is $40.00 US for the first year and then it drops to $35.00 US. The IBM has rings worldwide.

I am not certain of the cost of SAM.

Good luck on your move!

Be magic ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
Besides the camraderie and lectures, there's also the annual conventions and shows- WOW!! it's even better when you go with people you know and whose judgement you respect. They can really put you on the fast learning track.

And the other folks can help cut the magic expenses, too, in case you're about to buy something that is nicely marketed but may not work well, or well for YOUR style and talents. And they often have shows that you can perform in, like charity events.

And both national organizations have great magazines to keep you up to date with (inter)national happenings, dealers, effects, and the magic community overall. The local club should have a newsletter to do the same thing on a local level.

Can't go wrong joing a club! Though I have heard that there are the rare few that can turn people off or are just not the right fit. If the club doesn't make you feel good about being there or offer something to help you and others grow 'in the magical arts' you nod, smile, and move on. But at least join one of the nationals. There should be minutes of the meetings of the local clubs in 'Linking Ring' or 'M.U.M.', so you might get a feel for the club before you go there if you can get recent back issues. Or ask at the local magic shop which of the local lcubs likes to encourage new members and what kind of programs they have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joining a society (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL