The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Lack of sleights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
Just in case you missed Ivan's point. It is worth repeating.
"it is ALL about presentation, it is ALL about presentation"
Taking an acting class it is far more important than the number of sleights you can perform.
..............Jesse
VampOfVegas
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of VampOfVegas
If you want to talk about small hands.. let's talk about Max Malini. He has some really small hands. When he palmed a card it was as if he was holding the cards a long way in his hand. But he still accomplished it due to great misdirection. So use misdirection to your advantage and try it out on your friends to see what works and what doesn't.
-=:Va(v)p:=-
David Diaz
View Profile
New user
Caracas Venezuela
13 Posts

Profile of David Diaz
I have small hands too, and in the beginning II also thought that I couldn´t make some sleight (i.e. one-hand palming). But face your fears and practice a lot, you will master almost any technique if you want to, meanwhile MISDIRECTION.
Don´t feel bad if someone make a sleight in a few minutes and you can´t. it's not your hands. It is your mind and maybe in a few hours (months or even years) you will be able to do it too.
Smile
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Build your skill level by learning easy sleights, after your confortable and confident with your ability move on to something else...and learn sleight that your going to use in a real setting or what ever the case is...hope I helped
Best wishes...

Jess Smile
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
I think using a lot of gaffs can get some good reactions but, to me, there is something different about performing effects that are clean and require some sleights, regardless of the difficulty. I like the feeling of knowing I worked for something and that not anyone can just pick it up and perform it...that it takes more practice than the average person is willing to put in.
..::damienfell::..
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think too many up and coming magicians forget that magic was performed on the street long before the David Blaine Specials. He did a lot of great card tricks. Some of them involved tough sleights while others did not.

Don't believe that unless you do some fancy finger flinging you can't be a credible performer. That is just distorted thinking.

If you like sleight-of-hand with cards, keep working at it. Small hands or not you will discover things you can do that will be rewarding to learn and astounding to see.

Meanwhile, do the best magic you can do. Getting a crowd is only half the job. Keeping them is the other and that is done through a solid and entertaining performance.

In the end, the crowd won't care if your like the street magic they saw on T.V. - most of them won't have seen it anyway. They will be interested in a great performance.

May the tips come heavy.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
But you know what? mostly when you screwed a trick, one of your only outs usually is basic sleight-of-hand, ex: you had a screwy spectator who insisted on shuffling the deck,(hey you can palm off the chosen card)or many things!

You can improvise more if you know a wide arsenal of sleight-of-hand! So if you are not willing to put your time and comfort into practicing and rehearsing your material, maybe you should try stamp collecting!

Place your magic above comfort and rewards!
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I would have to go with using self-working card tricks .

Try holding a deck in your hand every time you have your hands empty , and you have time to do it .

Im a barber and there are days were we sit all day long. I just bust out the cards and
mess with them in my down time Smile Smile
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
crazyhands
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of crazyhands
Ammar stated in one of his books, I believe The magic of Michael Ammar, "...a couple of controls, a good top and bottom palm, a sure fire double lift." Not exactly quoted but after I read that I started concentrating on my most powerful sleights with cards. And stopped trying to learn every single sleight out there. Just my .02 cents.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree, the only thing you need to know is a good dl, and only one dl that you do well, a top palm, at least 3 ways to contol a card to the top, just in case of suspicion, and I'd throw in a top change too. I think with these simple sleights you can do miracles.
MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
My problem lately is a problem with nervousness. I don't perform professionally neither do I consider myself a well rounded magician. But I do have a lot of knowledge.

I find tricks that require some semi difficult sleights are hard to pull off especially when you become shaky or nervous.

How do I break this fear of performing for a group of people? It has always been a problem for me.
sebastian
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of sebastian
My hands are small and for the longest time I avoided cards.I would even tell people that I didn't do card tricks because my hands were too small.

I learned rope and coin sleight-of-hand. One day I decided to conquer my fear of card sleight-of-hand and I bought The Royal Road to Card Magic. I practiced daily and didn't worry about even showing card tricks to anybody for the longest time.

It took several months but by sticking with it I learned how to easily force a card several ways. I can also do a one-handed cut which I never thought I would be able to do. Palming too even though I have to watch the angles since a corner tends to poke out. Smile
I am Sebastian, a sixteenth century pirate.
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
First of all thanks to all the people that posted, your advice was greatly appreciated.

To MagicMaker, I suggest that after you have practiced your effects in private, until you have them perfected, you show them to family and friends. I find that the better I am at something the less nervous I get about doing it and I feel more relaxed performing for family and friends as they are not too harsh in their criticisms.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am a professional. I get scared! Here's what I do.

Find those people that you feel comfortable with and work for them. I find young ladies, and I impress them. Why? I am a young guy who, well, likes to show off.

But this isn't fool proof. I get really nervous still, often shake. I just calm down look the spectator in the face, and run away (JUST KIDDING), take a deep breath, and remember I am in control. I am the performer, the professional, and I am in charge.

Then I try to interact with the audience, this elevates them to guests and friends, not just audience members.
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
It doesn't matter if you cant do too many sleights.
Try mentalism or certain street magic or mathematical close-up.
Whatever you do as long as you do it well it will get a good reaction. Trust me, I'm into just about every type of magic. Just be sure to get the tricks down good. Smile And you should also try a bridge deck if your hands are small. Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Lack of sleights (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL