The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Frye Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
This is a fun routine to watch by a fun entertainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvc68cKILxg
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Frye is a genius!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Charlie is one of my all time favourite all round performers.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Wow, I liked that a lot. Great performer. Liked the whole stage set-up as well.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
There were some really creative lines in that...
-DJ
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I really like Charlie Frye's magic. He is sooo entertaining and, from my limited perspective at least, quite innovative and original. His cups and balls routine is probably my favorite cups and balls routine. None of the uninspired running narrative "I pick up this ball, spin the wand and the ball disappears" type of comments. And, his comedic timing and his visual slapstick (slapstichk?) is tight, logically placed and flawlessly executed. He makes the difficult look easy.

Man, I wish he'd schedule a magic lecture for the Portland, Oregon area.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Although I like Charlie's routine a lot, I would not want it to be my favorite routine. Would not want anyone's routine to be my favorite.

I would like to be amazed all the time by as many routines as possible by as many people as possible.

Obsessing over one person's routine dulls the creative mind!

I still like Charlie's routine very much, including many of his other magical routines. Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 13:29, madkiki wrote:
Although I like Charlie's routine a lot, I would not want it to be my favorite routine. Would not want anyone's routine to be my favorite.

I would like to be amazed all the time by as many routines as possible by as many people as possible.

Obsessing over one person's routine dulls the creative mind!

I still like Charlie's routine very much, including many of his other magical routines. Smile

Man!! With all due respect, how you can reach such generalized conclusions is beyond me.

Having a favorite routine does not stifle creativity. The two are not mutually exclusive. If anything, seeing such a creative C&Bs routine as Charlie's (or Kent Gunn's, or Jason Latimer's, or Tommy Wonder’s, et. al.) should inspire and kindle the creative spark within each of us. Why you would automatically assume that a person will imitate his favorite act and/or will not engage in creativity (and try to create his own highly original act) is not a logical conclusion to reach.

Additionally, having a favorite (present) routine should not prevent a person from appreciating other routines nor prevent him from later discarding that "present favorite" routine for one he later sees and which he then decides he likes better.

And, having a favorite routine does not equate with "obsessing" over that routine. (At least it doesn't for me.) If it does for you, such fact then speaks volumes as to your struggles and battles with creativity. Please don't generalize and assume that your struggles in these areas are universally felt and exhibited by other magicians.

FWIW, I first saw Charlie's routine when his DVDs first came out (3-4 years ago?) and I have not viewed the video again until MagicByUriel posted this Café YouTube reference today. Hardly any "obsessing" here on my part.

Also, FWIW, I have been "obsessing" over my own version of C&B's for at least the last 10-12 months and it is finally is starting to “come together". I still "see" about 4-6 months work to go in this regard. If truth be told, the first visages of my C&Bs idea germinated approximately 5 years ago but, until recently, I was stymied in how to accomplish what I wanted to do in these regards. (Sorry for obsessing on my own creativity efforts.) And, I can assure you that such creativity obsession is not, in any way, trying to imitate or to parrot Charlie's act. In fact, my C&B's routine bears no resemblance whatsoever to Charlie’s routine. That said, Charlie's routine is still my favorite--at least for the present time.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Charlie Frye Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL