The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FDIC: No bad loans? Bad bank! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Community bank finds paranoid a smart bet

Quote:
Joseph A. Petrucelli is one of the most cautious bankers in America.

In fact, Petrucelli is so cautious that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. recently criticized his bank for not lending enough.

The FDIC’s negative review of East Bridgewater Savings Bank’s loan volume is an anomaly in today’s current banking scene as lenders reel from their role in offering too many cruddy mortgage products to borrowers with weak credit.

Still, the FDIC slapped East Bridgewater Savings with a rare “needs to improve” rating after evaluating the bank under the Community Reinvestment Act.

If I were in charge of marketing for that bank, I would be blanketing the area with radio and TV ads bragging how the FDIC has criticized it for having loan practices that are too financially sound.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
What would be the point in advertising such a fact? If the guy isn't giving out loans then borrowers certainly won't have an interest in using the banks services. As a depositor I would have little interest in putting my money into a bank that didn't make loans as they must have a very poor return since it is through usury that a bank generates income. Not enough loans being made equals no revenue being generated thus no dividends paid to depositors.

Money does no good to anyone simply sitting in a vault
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Before I retired, I worked for a major bank. Over the years, I reviewed and made decisions on all types of loans. In recent years, loan decisions came out of a loan processing area. It became obvious that the bank would do just about anything to get mortgage loans on the books. I was appalled at the poor quality of the loans that were being approved, but it wasn't our decision any longer.

I can't tell you how glad I was to get out when I did.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 14:51, Payne wrote:
What would be the point in advertising such a fact? If the guy isn't giving out loans then borrowers certainly won't have an interest in using the banks services. As a depositor I would have little interest in putting my money into a bank that didn't make loans as they must have a very poor return since it is through usury that a bank generates income. Not enough loans being made equals no revenue being generated thus no dividends paid to depositors.

Money does no good to anyone simply sitting in a vault

The bank is making loans, but is only limiting them to people who are creditworthy, just like it states in the linked story. The point of advertising that fact would be to attract more creditworthy borrowers, and let as many people as possible know that there are still the rare honest banks out there.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I do my personal banking with a small, privately-held local bank that barely advertises, consistently gets ultra-top dependability scores, pays low interest and charges fairly high interest, but very few fees. I depend on them for checking and short-term savings, but not for making anything on interest-bearing accounts.

How do they stay in business?

They are plugged into the local "good ol' boy" network (they practically invented it, and in Virginia that's gold). When local attorneys and businessmen find out I've banked there for 30 years, a bit of the "good ol' boy gold" smooths my path to what I need.

They know the customer (long ago when I didn't understand my new credit-card merchant account, the bank president took half an hour without an appointment to explain it to me).

And they're there for you (when I had to sell my late mother's house and also buy somewhere for my brother to live, they came up with a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar bridge loan seemingly overnight - cost me more in interest, but I got the loan).

And, most importantly of course, they'll be there tomorrow, I don't even have to do any research to satisfy any concerns.

I don't think they have any need to make risky loans ... they're doing fine without 'em.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » FDIC: No bad loans? Bad bank! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL