The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Paperclipped (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SullyMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SullyMagic
My performance of Sankey's brilliant effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXrCTVLNQA

I do love technical stuff but this trick is just so... Powerful. Simple, direct and it blows adult's minds in real life.

Cheers
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Good stuff, also good verbal misdirection when doing the mercury fold.

A few times a year I go through my Sankey collection and see Paperclipped but have never given it a shot. Its just the idea of destroying a card and finding a paperclip to do the effect that turns me off... ack I dunno, one day I'll probably do it, get great reactions and wonder why I put off learning it for so long. Smile
SullyMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SullyMagic
Thanks.

And trust me man, Paperclipped gets KILLER reactions. It's COMPLETELY worth destroying a card for it.

I've learnt a lot of card magic over the years and tried all sorts of stuff and believe me... I think Paperclipped is still unbeaten in terms of pure AWE.

It just breaks their brain. To us magicians it seems fairly simple but to a laymen they just can't comprehend this trick.

I'd still say it's his best card effect.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I once absolutely destroyed a heckler with Sankeys effect Graffiti. Nothing beats a guy who has been heckling you say "I'll admit, that was f%*king good" It was a beautiful moment!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
In the video, is it just me or can you see the index of the folded card, it looks like a 9, possibly red?
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 00:47, Daegs wrote:
In the video, is it just me or can you see the index of the folded card, it looks like a 9, possibly red?

Nope-- it ain't just you.

SEY
SullyMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SullyMagic
Well it must be you because the folded card isn't red Smile
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Its good you're prepared for an off center fold, but make sure the index can't be seen. Funny enough your impromptu fold was perfect! Good job otherwise.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 00:47, Daegs wrote:

That's EXTRA MAGIC!!!
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 21:07, Chamberlain wrote:
Good stuff, also good verbal misdirection when doing the mercury fold.

A few times a year I go through my Sankey collection and see Paperclipped but have never given it a shot. Its just the idea of destroying a card and finding a paperclip to do the effect that turns me off... ack I dunno, one day I'll probably do it, get great reactions and wonder why I put off learning it for so long. Smile

My friend,who works a lot,gets round this by openly saying,he dosent want to destroy a card,or he will have no deck left to perform,so he carries a stock of blank faced cards and uses those.....so your still doing the killer trick but not ruining your deck....maybe not as organic,but a good solution I think.
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Surely blank cards work out more expensive than just using a normal deck ..!
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 09:58, AlienSpaceBat wrote:

Your missing the point,its not about cost,its wanting to have a full deck for the rest of his set,not a dwindling deck.................
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 21:10, SullyMagic wrote:

It just breaks their brain.

I love that line. Can I steal it?

Btw, my friend Denis Behr uses a folded card with a different color back. Have you considered doing that? I thought that was a nice addition.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
How does a blank face card help? Each time you do the trick, you have a card signed. Is he having the spectators sign the blank face card?
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Regarding the blank faced deck, I think the bigger issue is that blank cards may appear special or 'gimmicked' to lay people. I would try to stick to a regular deck and find other solutions for the loss of cards.
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
Paperclipped is a modern classic from Sankey and in IMO by far the best thing he's come up with. It's so simple, and kills people, what all magic should be like!
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 10:38, Adam1975 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 09:58, AlienSpaceBat wrote:

Your missing the point,its not about cost,its wanting to have a full deck for the rest of his set,not a dwindling deck.................

No I got the point, such as it was Smile

Surely this isn't a card magician who only has one deck of cards ... ? Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Have a second deck of "extra" cards in your pocket (say leftovers from your last gig). Add one to the deck, force the card. When the effect is over you still have a full deck.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Knarild
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Knarild
I think paperclipped is a very good method for switching folded cards. But the effect could be kind of confusing, depending on how it is presented.

Not confusing when presented as an impossible transfer: Since the signed card is revealed in the clip, it obviously is a transposition (two transfers). The selected card has secretly moved into the paperclipp and the original has moved to a hidden location. A good effect.

But when it first is presented as a prediction, and then shown that the prediction really is the spectators card, ... , so then it was not a prediction, then it is in a way "reduced" to an impossible transfer.

I think the paperclip-change is better to use in a pure prediction effect. Card can be freely selected, no signing, and then the card in the paperclip is shown to be the same card. A perfect prediction. No confusion.
SullyMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SullyMagic
Quote:
Btw, my friend Denis Behr uses a folded card with a different color back. Have you considered doing that? I thought that was a nice addition.

Jay Sankey has mentioned doing that and he's tried it and says it usually just confuses people and it's sort of another effect and a bit of a pointless addition. And I agree, the way it is, is perfect imo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Paperclipped (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL