The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Paperclipped (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 12:03, Knarild wrote:
I think paperclipped is a very good method for switching folded cards. But the effect could be kind of confusing, depending on how it is presented.

Not confusing when presented as an impossible transfer: Since the signed card is revealed in the clip, it obviously is a transposition (two transfers). The selected card has secretly moved into the paperclipp and the original has moved to a hidden location. A good effect.

But when it first is presented as a prediction, and then shown that the prediction really is the spectators card, ... , so then it was not a prediction, then it is in a way "reduced" to an impossible transfer.

I think the paperclip-change is better to use in a pure prediction effect. Card can be freely selected, no signing, and then the card in the paperclip is shown to be the same card. A perfect prediction. No confusion.

It's actually not presented as a transpo, but rather as a paradox ala Elsmley's Between the Palms or Hamman's Your Signed Card.

The "effect" is that even though the card was there the whole time, it has always been the card that you had not yet signed... hence paradox.

On Paperclipped limited Edition, Sankey talks about other ways of presenting it and different ways to apply the Full View S*****, but the original plot was the paradox.

It's not so much confusing as it is baffling... its a what the @#X! moment. Incidentally, the original name of the effect when he first published it was "@#X!" for that very reason.
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Thanks Jstone. That was very informative.
SullyMagic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SullyMagic
Yeah that's right jstone.

It's not dissimilar to 'The Mystery Card'. Infact the effect itself is basically TMC. A card is selected, a supposedly different and seperate card is shown and then that card is revealed to be the selected card. It's like two seperate entities coming together.

What's nice about Paperclipped in comparison to classic handlings of TMC though is that the card is folded and on a paperclip and that image will resignate so much more in the spectator's mind. With TMC, they still have reason to think that somewhere you may have switched it or w.e.

But the fact it's folded up and on a paperclip and they see there unfolded, signed card just seconds before in the deck... It's just beautiful. And the fact the switch is done right in front of their eyes and the justification is perfect... Amazing.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 10:38, Adam1975 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 09:58, AlienSpaceBat wrote:
Surely blank cards work out more expensive than just using a normal deck ..!

Your missing the point,its not about cost,its wanting to have a full deck for the rest of his set,not a dwindling deck.................

That's an idea that I use sometimes as well. I first read about this concept in a post that Cody Fisher made quite a while ago.

When I do walk-around magic I don't want to be fishing through my pockets looking for stuff or trying to restock a deck of with missing cards, so I always have things in the same place and usually have an instant reset for tricks. Having the blank-faced card allows a signature for card to wallet, paperclipped, card to box (Kennedy), etc; but it also allows one to go into a trick without worrying about you have all four aces or kings or whatever. It only takes a second to add the blank-facer.

As far as it not being as organic, I would agree with that idea; but having a signature on a blank-faced card which ends up in an envelope in one's wallet is still a strong mystery, and I think that the positive aspect of not wanting to destroy a whole deck not only provides the proper motivation for the spectators but also outweighs any issues pertaining to not being organic. Everyone's mileage will vary, of course, but so far this method has worked well for me.
magicator
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magicator
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 16:28, MJ Marrs wrote:

As far as it not being as organic, I would agree with that idea; but having a signature on a blank-faced card which ends up in an envelope in one's wallet is still a strong mystery, and I think that the positive aspect of not wanting to destroy a whole deck not only provides the proper motivation for the spectators but also outweighs any issues pertaining to not being organic. Everyone's mileage will vary, of course, but so far this method has worked well for me.

Thanks MJ. I think you actually convinced me on that one... I ruin pretty much one full pack at every performance, so this is interesting for me! The motivation of using a blank playing card (inside a regular pack) because you need them to sign the card is actually a really good idea. Laypeople are aware that if they sign 1 card, it means your whole deck is ruined. And they are right! You actually really do it for that reason.
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
No offense meant,
But it hard to believe that anyone here has actually done paperclipped
for reals.

I mean, I start with a 'small deck', 47 cards. A 'small deck' is easier to handle. I like to my decks all signed up.
I like the bulk of the deck to get multiple sig's. If I am doing merc folds for card 2mouth or paperclipped I start with a thick deck, 56-59 cards. Depending on the venue, street, corporate, clown walk around, I will have a back up deck somewhere to reload.

it is funny the guy in Scotland doesn't want to fold up 1 card. You gotta buy
a half dozen decks to get good at the merc fold! I think you can get it down in less then 52, but it takes some practice to get the cajones to pull it off in public! besides, perfectionists may want to practice thumb placement for the "perfect fold" which may or may not be square by the way. Jay talks about this a bit.

And what is the deal with people over thinking classics of magic? Blank cards?
WTF???

I would advise someone to just do it the way Sankey has scripted it. For about 200 to 300 performances, then start to lay some individuality on it. There is some crucial scripting that I avoided much to my own self damage. Specifically,
saying "With the paper clip off" Why oh Why did I not listen?
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I agree, Hernan. This is a great trick that has a shocking effect when presented well. I also think that using a paperclipped prediction - say, on a business card or blank playing card - rather than a signed card is a great way to cover a switch and gets a very strong reaction. Oz Perlman has a version of this on his Into The Abyss DVD -- highly recommend it.

Duane
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
"with the paperclip off"... ah yes... that is absolutely critical. Amazing that a little phrase like that can make the difference between the effect working brilliantly and having people just shrug their shoulders at you. It explains exactly what the spectator sees in such a casual way while they are burning your hands and you are burning them in full view right at that moment.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Hernan said:

WTF???

I don't think that this is over thinking a classic. It's the same trick but with a card that was printed with no face. Nothing more, nothing less. Way too many magicians fail to appreciate this intelligence of their audiences. I'm sure that most people are smart enough to see that having a regular card from a deck of 52 destroys the integrity of the deck and therefore are smart enought to fully appreciate the practical nature of using a blank card.

I carry enough stuff doing walk-around without having to continue to reload missing cards.

And let's not forget that the professor was fond of saying that, "Magicians stop thinking too soon."

Cheers.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Good point Marrs.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 16:28, MJ Marrs wrote:
Hernan said:

WTF???

I don't think that this is over thinking a classic. It's the same trick but with a card that was printed with no face. Nothing more, nothing less. Way too many magicians fail to appreciate this intelligence of their audiences. I'm sure that most people are smart enough to see that having a regular card from a deck of 52 destroys the integrity of the deck and therefore are smart enought to fully appreciate the practical nature of using a blank card.

I carry enough stuff doing walk-around without having to continue to reload missing cards.

And let's not forget that the professor was fond of saying that, "Magicians stop thinking too soon."

Cheers.

Introducing a blank faced card and having the spectator sign it and then doing Sankey's trick is ridiculous, pointless, and undermines the simplicity and brilliance of the trick.

Tell your cheap friend to stop worrying about ruining one card to do the trick, that's nuts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Paperclipped (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL