The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Ever forget something you needed at home? I did!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RealityIsDeception
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of RealityIsDeception
Wow. I just got home from doing some walk-a-round close up magic for a wedding showcase out in Long Island. All was well until I realized I forgot my Utility/Peek wallet at home. A good 10 minutes of my routine entirely depends on the wallet(Obviously it's the presentation which counts the most, but if you don't have the gimmick that assists you with your presentation-Your screwed). I didn't have enough time to turn around and go home since I was already there! The worst part abut the whole thing is that during the showcase which had roughly about 300 people attending, I was on during the reception segment which meant I had a ten minute spot in front of all the guests on the dance floor, and had planned to use the wallet for some mentalism with some random volunteers. My heart was literally in my stomach.

Luckily I had a tossed out deck in my close up bag which ended up saving my life. Thank GOD!!!! Otherwise I'm not exactly sure what I would have done. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Here's a link to my youtube video as well-Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHmTvAflI2w

-Anthony Cap
Long Island New York
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
I can beat that....one New Years Eve performance,when I was first starting out,I travelled a long way to a restaurant in thick fog....and Id left my case at home on the stairs! Yes,the whole act! My first,and last,job with this particular agency! Boy,did I learn from that...... Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Left the house without my tux jacket once. I do body loads with doves. Did a lot of table loads that night. Now every now and then when it's hot I use what I learned that night.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
For strolling gigs, I have left my entire Holster and Drs Bag at the house before. Luckily, I am able to fill a 2 hour strolling gig with a deck of cards and 4 coins along with things I can pull from my environment. Not my ideal but I can certainly do it should I need to (and I've needed to on MORE than one occassion).

Just this weekend I got to my gig and realized I had no fuel for my torches. Kinda hard to do fire eating without fire...so I got it all set up and then left the venue and drove 90mph over to Wal-Mart to get some fuel. Made it back with about 15 mintues to spare. Phew!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Luckily I work from pockets and sort everything out and put it in my car the morning of, that aside I always keep a deck of bikes in the car, just in case!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Quote:
a deck of cards and 4 coins

90% of my material I do with that, lol. Gotta love packing small in your pants... wait!?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-23 08:54, Pauldela wrote:
Quote:
a deck of cards and 4 coins

90% of my material I do with that, lol. Gotta love packing small in your pants... wait!?

HEY! I resemble that remark!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of james prince
About once every three years or so, I forget my jacket

Always in the Summer, always when I have a short sleeved shirt on, always when it's a smart do, so it really stands out like a sore thumb

Have to pretend it's part of the act - 'Magic done with out the aid of sleeves'

About due to do it again
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I forgot my right clown shoe I had a sneaker on for driving so I did not notice until I was in front of the party
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1621 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2009-03-22 15:54, RealityIsDeception wrote:
Wow. I just got home from doing some walk-a-round close up magic for a wedding showcase out in Long Island. All was well until I realized I forgot my Utility/Peek wallet at home. A good 10 minutes of my routine entirely depends on the wallet(Obviously it's the presentastion which counts the most, but if you don't have the gimmick that assists you with your presentation-Your screwed). I didn't have enough time to turn around and go home since I was already there! The worst part abut the whole thing is that during the showcase which had roughly about 300 people attending, I was on during the reception segment which meant I had a ten minute spot in front of all the guests on the dance floor, and had planned to use the wallet for some mentalism with some random volunteers. My heart was literally in my stomach.

Luckily I had a tossed out deck in my close up bag which ended up saving my life. Thank GOD!!!! Otherwise I'm not exactly sure what I would have done. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Here's a link to my youtube video as well-Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHmTvAflI2w

-Anthony Cap
Long Island New York

You do the bra trick on a kid???!!!!!! Really. I have had several clients comment on how tasteless and offensive the last magician was because he produced a bra..ON AN ADULT!!!. And you go and do it on a kid???!!!
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Just last month I started doing one of my shows and realized that I hadn't packed any sponge balls. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I had another five shows to do...and I was in Honduras! (I was with a medical missions team providing entertainment for the schools and churches.)

As it turned out, the shows went very well...but I kept thinking..."if only I had those sponge balls!"

That's life...Live and learn.
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
RealityIsDeception
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

To respond to your comment SOCALPRO "You do the bra trick on a kid???!!!!!! Really. I have had several clients comment on how tasteless and offensive the last magician was because he produced a bra..ON AN ADULT!!!. And you go and do it on a kid???!!!"

I believe it may be tasteless to some people and I respect that. However, I have performed that routine for many people (children and adults) and I have never recieved a comment saying it was tasteless or offensive. The only way that trick could be tasteless is in the way you present it. If you saw my whole presentation I truly believe you would think otherwise. I'm not here to make any fans believe me, before you go pass judgement I think you should ask more questions. Otherwise I hope all is well, I don't wish any bad fortune on anyone , believe me.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1621 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I'm not judging you here...I didn't call you any names. Let me ask you this.

How long have you been performing?
Is magic all you do?
Did these clients book you again? Anyone can get a gig one time.

Again...not judging....just think (IMO) this trick is inappropriate in any case.

I'd like to hear what some of the other full timers have to say.

And to get back on topic (sorry...the bra thing threw me off), yes I have forgotten almost my whole close up show. Sometimes I'll pull several close up props from my jacket if I need them for a stage stand up show. Luckily, my wife wasn't far and was able to drive them out to me. Smile
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Oh wow, I'm, going to second the bra trick as a terrible idea for kids.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
RealityIsDeception
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Hey guys your right that is your opinion. I could understand how you might interpret the bra choice as I bad idea for a childrens show. It is much appreciated and I take it as constructive criticism so thank you very much.

SoCalPro: To answer your questions, I've been performing since 2004 mostly close up/walk around and childrens parties as well (not as much as my close up/restaurant work) I work with entertainment companies mostly . Magic is my second job as I'm an Operations Manager here in NYC. And yes the family did book me again , and I'm happy to say they enjoyed two more of my performances since that communion party.

Also SoCalPro, I just took a look at your website and I think your one of a kind. What in your opinion draws the line when doing kid shows? I assume you wouldn't do anything with any dangerous elements as well, correct? Would you perform any tricks that you would perform for adults during your show?

To get back to the subject for everyone else besides SoCalPro and I, I'd love to know what you guys would do if you did in fact forget your number one "killer" trick at home that you were depending on. Take care brush your hair!!!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 11:53, Bernie Balloons wrote:
I forgot my right clown shoe I had a sneaker on for driving so I did not notice until I was in front of the party

If that happens again wear the one shoe and comment to the audience hay you think I lost one shoe don't ya?

Well your wrong.

I found one shoe!

Made me laugh well I am in London were we just had 4 days of sunshine
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-24 15:08, RealityIsDeception wrote:
Hey guys your right that is your opinion. I could understand how you might interpret the bra choice as I bad idea for a childrens show. It is much appreciated and I take it as constructive criticism so thank you very much.

SoCalPro: To answer your questions, I've been performing since 2004 mostly close up/walk around and childrens parties as well (not as much as my close up/restaurant work) I work with entertainment companies mostly . Magic is my second job as I'm an Operations Manager here in NYC. And yes the family did book me again , and I'm happy to say they enjoyed two more of my performances since that communion party.

Also SoCalPro, I just took a look at your website and I think your one of a kind. What in your opinion draws the line when doing kid shows? I assume you wouldn't do anything with any dangerous elements as well, correct? Would you perform any tricks that you would perform for adults during your show?

To get back to the subject for everyone else besides SoCalPro and I, I'd love to know what you guys would do if you did in fact forget your number one "killer" trick at home that you were depending on. Take care brush your hair!!!

So here's the deal! I thought it was GREAT! Why? Well...first of all, I think it plays BETTER doing it on a young man as he did b/c it's TOTALLY UNEXPECTED! Doing that bit on an adult is stupid in my opinion. Doing that bit on a young GIRL would be questionable to me. I know what's funny....and THAT is FUNNY!

I wish to God that one day, the world will get off of this stupid PC NONSENSE! RealityIsDeception...you did great man! You keep doing what your doing and don't let anyone tell you different! If someone ever complains about it at your show, then tell them it was a joke and and explain how their are harsher things on the news that their kids are exposed to.

When I perform for kids, mixed into my show is Fire Eating, Razor Blades, The Balloon Swallow, Spike Roulette and a few other nutty things! IT'S ENTERTAINMENT PEOPLE!!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
RealityIsDeception
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Hey Chris Lyle,

Thanks for the kind words man. I am going to continue using the trick and the patter that I have been using. I think it's all in the presentation, and your right it is entertainment and kids are exposed to a lot of harsher elements than that. Thanks bro, I really enjoyed your warped trick on your web site. Good stuff, Hope all is well.

-Anthony Cap (Reality is Deception)
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
500 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Once I was doing the "Peanut Butter and Jelly Illusion" at a kids show and somehow forgot my real jar of jelly. Easy fix; my wife ran quickly to a nearby store and picked one up, but it was really small. I was also doing the Gene Anderson's T&R Newspaper during that show, and since I sometimes forget the exact "flash restore" fold, I usually take a photocopy of it from my book. That day I forgot to pack my photocopy of the fold. Well, I hadn't made up the newspaper yet, so when I put it together I wasn't sure if it was going to work. When I tested it, it worked just fine...until during the show, the "flash restore" unfolded BACKWARD! IN FULL VIEW OF THE AUDIENCE!

I now have that fold permanently entrenched in the gulleys of my warped little mind, where I can't leave it behind...

CW
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I must admit, I've done the bra trick. But I always did it one of two ways:

A) On MYSELF. I play it like ropes through body, but with silks, using two audience assistants, each holding an outer end of the silks. Everyone's expecting the tied silks to penetrate my body, and instead, the bra pops out. I act really embarrassed and say, "Wow, I just broke the cardinal rule of the magician's code--never reveal your secrets!" Gets a huge laugh and all in good fun.

B) With a couple. I stand in the the middle. Woman on my right, with tied silks at top of her blouse. Man at my left with tied silks at belt line. Another audience assistant on either side of those two, holding the ends, while I hold the two ends in the middle. I build it up that the silks will pass through their bodies, but that the pink silks (woman's neck) and green silks (man's waistline) will magically change places as we're holding onto them. I say to the other two assistants, "On three, pull backward, and everything will CHANGE!" When we do, boxer shorts appear at the ladies neck, and the bra appears at the man's waist. Again, all tongue-in-cheek, no inuenndo, all in good fun. Plays well for me.

Back on topic...

To answer Reality's question, I don't worry about it too much if I forget a trick or two. The tricks are the least important part of my show. I learned a long time ago what Al Goshman taught: "YOU are the magic! The props only come along for the ride!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Ever forget something you needed at home? I did!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL