The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coin routine using a shoelace... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I have some extra Chinese coins (the Johnson variety) but I've seen some guys use these coins using a shoelace as a routine. I have a few routines I've picked up from Bobo's, Dai Vernon, Mark Wilson books, Michael Ammar and Eugene Burger DVD & videos and for Christmas, I got the Rubinstein DVD where I learned "Purse Spellbound," among others of his excellent routines. Any ideas out there? Also, is there an expanded Chinese coin? Bobo's book has a routine using an old (German) fennig (or deutsche mark) with a hole and an expanded similar shell and using a shoe string and a straw something similar. Any ideas? Smile
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
Troy Hooser has a pretty decent routine with Chinese coins and a ribbon, where if I remember correctly 4 coins appear to slip right through the ribbon. It was a visually astonishing coin routine and I'm sure a shoestring could be substituted for the ribbon. It was in his book "desTRoYers". It might be worth checking out.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
The routine is called A Charming Chinese Challenge. It is 3 coins penetrating a ribbon one at a time with the last one ending in the spectators hand. Pretty easy to do. Very nice routine. Smile
Bernard Sim
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Must be a good book. The guys at the local magic shop (Hollywood Magic in L.A.) recommended it. I'll check it out. Thanks
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1420 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Yep Troys book is very good indeed! It's been a long time coming, but well worth it.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If you can find a set of hank Morrehouse's Beggar coins, buy it. It's got several Chinese Coins, two shells, and a larger Chinese coin.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Thanks. Now where can I find a Chinese coin shell?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Tony, you might one to check this out.
http://www.stevensmagic.com

It is called the Chinese Miser's Dream.
Bernard Sim
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Steve Dusheck has a very clean-looking effect using a ribbon (or string) and a large (silver dollar) size Chinese coin.

A very visual and surprising on-and-off-again trick.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
I'll see if Stephens magic sells the shells seperately. Also I'll also check out Steve Dusheck's book. Thanks again.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
340 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
John Bannon has a nice Chinese coin and shoelace trick on Impossiblia Video (and the book by the same name) ...the coin melts through the lace in the specs hand!!!

Regards Alan
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
There was a routine with some Chinese coins and a chopstick in one of the Magic Symposium books. I think it was by David Roth.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Johnson Products once had an effect using a dollar size Chinese coin, which came with a shell. I think it was called a Hong Kong coin. I'm not sure if Johnson still manufactures it, but I have seen new sets on Ebay from time to time.

Also, I think Joshua Jay has a routine using a Chinese coin and shoelace in his lecture notes, and I believe in his book as well.
I hope this helps. Smile
By the way, the Bannon routine is great!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Harvey Rosenthal has a manuscript called Melt-thru which is very clever Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Thanks for the info. Back to the magic store....

Regards,
Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coin routine using a shoelace... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL