The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » One on one fees (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was told by a working magician that recently he was quoted £3,500 (sterling) for one on one tuition for stage hypnosis. I don't remember if that was over 2 or 3 days. I suggested to him, since I was asked, that it seemed a little steep. Was I wrong in suggesting this?

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
A few years ago I would've said it wasn't too steep(although still a wee bit). Now I'ld say it wouldn't be worth it due to the huge amount of cheap stage hypnosis training around. And the sheer number out there.

If I had paid that I would also expect some mentoring over a period of time. Not just with stage skills but also marketing and the business side.
kingjay
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kingjay
Here in l.a. its like $1000-2000 u.s. dollars.. ive seen even higher prices
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Depends on what exactly it includes.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
It also depends upon who is teaching it and what the market will bear.

For some trainings that would be overpriced. For others it would be a bargain.
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
I'm currently training someone for £2,200 which I think is fairly reasonable.
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 21:41, RobertTemple wrote:
I'm currently training someone for £2,200 which I think is fairly reasonable.

would you mind enlightening us with that is being taught, as well as the duration of the training?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
Just pm'd Thomas. There's a guy up north of here who told me he does 2 days at £1,500 (including B & B. LOL).
I also spoke to a guy at a one day hypno thing a couple weeks ago who told me how he'd travelled from The Canaries to UK to do a stage course with quite a well known stage trainer who I won't name in an open forum due to the result. By that I simply mean that when he went all the way back to the Canaries he did a show and unfortunately no one went under. He informed me he's back in the UK to do a different course. Without making any judgements I just kinda' felt sorry for the guy. In talking to him I got the feeling that he simply needed to find and hone certain communication and audience skills rather than even look at another course.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't understand? He is in the Canaries so why not do 10 shows? He has the choice to do them. If he commited to 10 then he would soon hit a success and that's all you need. Your first success.

The basic mechanics of hypnosis are simple. Do XY and Z and you should get results. Enough to get you by while you learn the craft.

I think he has gave up too soon. It could be he just picked a bad night or crowd and his lack of experience ended up in the result he got.

But I am sure if he were to give this a go again even with a bad course he would get the results.

And by the way that's how to hone your audience and communication skills just do it.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I agree, MP.

That means either he wasn't taught XY and Z by the instructor, or he didn't "get it" and the instructor didn't see that the pupil didn't get it.

In either case, considering what the student paid, I'd say the instructor was at least 50% to blame for the student's failure.

As a side note, I've attended "advanced" hypnotherapy trainings where people received "certificates" in the hypnosis they supposedly learned, and I wouldn't send someone who hates me to the supposed hypnotherapists due to their total lack of skill and total lack of understanding what was taught. However, they are pushed through the training so they are able to take (and pay for) more advanced training. It's part of the training workshop scam.
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
To be honest there are some very cheaply priced day courses running in the UK at the moment. I've seen them for as little as £100 and £200. Personally I think this totally devalues our artform.

In answer to Thomas' question, that £2,200 gets them as many weekends of my time as we mutually agree required to get them ready for a show. I'll cover everything they need to know including the current laws and legislations (which of course indirectly changed in 2006). I'm negotiating them to get the same insurance policy that I am on and I will then book them a couple of shows to get them started. Oh and I'll obviously be there to take notes and go over it all afterwards.

RT
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
£2,200 is to cheap for that kind of involvement. Isn't it more lucrative just performing?

Aren't you performing at weekends?

If I was still performing full-time I couldn't afford to train others at weekends for that price. And if I was making good money doing shows why would I create competition and get paid less money?

Im not having ago I'm just curious.

Too much trainers devalue the art. Too many practitioners devalue the market.
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
Hi MindPunisher,

I'm aware its cheap but the guy in question is a pal and as mentioned in a previous post I've said that ammount of money is reasonable. Obviously I run the training on a weekend when required and then do my shows on the evenings.

Also I choose to only work 2-3 shows per week and can afford to do this because my fee for my show is higher than many.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
What I mean not being able to afford was that I was earning too much doing shows to bother with training others.

I guess in some ways I was spoiled. But I do think there are far too many 'schools' and products around now.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 20:13, mindpunisher wrote:

Too much trainers devalue the art. Too many practitioners devalue the market.

I disagree. There's more than enough room for expansion and growth.

Unfortunately, too many BAD trainers devalue the art. Too many LOUSY practitioners devalue the market.

Bad cheap performers and trainers drive out quality trainers and performer who earn what they're worth.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey Robert, 2-3 shows a week is fantastic. Why not put up a list of your future shows so we can come along (at any time)?
kingjay
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kingjay
Anyone can learn the hypnosis part... its the stage presence/ charisma/
creative multi-tasking/ star quality that really cant be taught... that's where a lot of mistakes are made... I'm not the greatest hypnotist... but I am a great entertainer.. 20 years of rock n roll have prepped me for my 1 year of hypnosis performances.. check back in 20 years.... I sure ill be dead!
RobertTemple
View Profile
Regular user
Newcastle, UK
174 Posts

Profile of RobertTemple
Heya Bobser... there was one on the "Tour" page of my website which seems to have randomly disappeared. I'm working on getting back up at the minute, although I will very shortly be going back abroad for my summer season where I do 6 shows a week (altho on slightly lesser money than here, but the life is great for a 21 year old).

I'll hopefully have my Summer and Winter dates all up on the tour page this week!

Cheers,
RT
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 19:40, kingjay wrote:
Anyone can learn the hypnosis part... its the stage presence/ charisma/
creative multi-tasking/ star quality that really cant be taught.

I agree that the hypnosis part is easy. However, I would respectfully disagree with the second part. Stage presence and charisma certainly can be taught.
kingjay
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kingjay
Oooooohh....? don't know bout that dmkraig? teaching charisma? hmmm that could be a money maker... if it can be done? ill toss the idea around...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » One on one fees (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL