The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New L&L World's Greatest Magic - Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I haven't seen that video, but that does seem harsh. However, there is a bit on one of Bill Malone's first DVDs where he is talking to Gene Matsura and he asks Gene, "What do you do for a living?" Gene responds that he's retired. Bill asks, "You're retarded?" I laughed like crazy. I had dinner with Gene a few weeks ago and asked him if he remembered it and he didn't at all.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Someone once told me that some of the regular members of the audience on these shoots are L&L employees. Several years ago, I heard that Tanya works in customer service and that some of the guys in the crowd work in the shipping department. I can't remember the source of this comment, so it may have been pure speculation.

There is one young man in the audience of the 'Al Schneider Technique' DVDs that is actually very humorous to watch. He appears completely baffled and says things like, "No way! But I am watching so close..." He may be acting but he seems genuinely floored by what he is seeing.

Like Frank, I don't think these reactions are a problem. From my perspective they don't create a distraction from the overall content of the DVDs and I would much prefer an over-the-top reaction to no studio audience at all or a crowd that seems completely disinterested.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 23:35, Frank Starsini wrote:

Actually, as non-PC as I already am, Sankey's faux pas in that case was uncalled for, unfunny, and certainly had no place on an instructional DVD...
[/quote]

Yes, Sankey's comments were uncalled for. I hugely admire Sankey's creativity and huge body of work, but I don't 'get' most of his humour.
However, John's reactions on various L&L bits (e.g. Osterlind radar deck), does make me wonder about his sanity!
-----
Back on topic, I do think most of the WGM series are well worth the asking price, as yes the material is not new, but range of artists / routines is normally very strong. The finger ring volume is one of my best buys.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I get the impression that the members of the audience are Pro-Actors who have a natural smile and laugher. These people are trained to act on cues, and sometimes they laugh too much like that blond headed guy.

Makes me wish that L&L would show some live street action. Why not set up a Tent somewhere and have a small group of people come in and watch, at least then we will know the true impact of whatever magic act. Show some guts!
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Can someone post a screenshot of the audience naming each person? I know what they all look like, but have no clue which names belong to each face....

actually...why am I asking for this? Smile
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 12:20, madkiki wrote:
Makes me wish that L&L would show some live street action. Why not set up a Tent somewhere and have a small group of people come in and watch, at least then we will know the true impact of whatever magic act. Show some guts!

I don't think it is a matter of guts, but a matter of the financial risk of using people pulled off of the street - retakes needed because someone decides to be a clown or a jerk (who then has to be told to leave), etc.... The perfomers and producers already know they have acts that have, for the most part, true impact, I think.

If I were a producer, I would be *very* hesitant to approach Richard Osterland and say, "We just want to be sure your act has a real impact on people." Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
On the latest Jon Armstrong DVD he uses Frank for a trick and tells him "I am a big fan". There were several other humorous references to the longevity of the L & L audience on these DVDs. I find watching the L & L audience instructive in a way. Clearly they have seen every ambitious card, sponge ball routine, double lift, etc. They do seem "unusually enthusiastic" as a rule. However, every once in a while I feel that you see their eyes light up and I think they know they are seeing something special or genuinely having fun. At any rate, I felt that way when I watched the Bill Malone and Tommy Wonder DVDs (which are older at any rate)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I think that they simply know how to enjoy magic. Let's hope they spread the word.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi Uriel,

I do know the "real story" about the painting on the wall, but it fits so nicely in the presentation. That routine is actually the opening of my History of Magic Through Performance, which is a 75 minute lecture/performance. My new set of DVD's coming out from L&L has the entire presentation, as well as explanations for my handlings of the clssic effects within the presentation. Once I get into the actual presentation, I do tell the real story of the painting and apologize for the "lie".

Marc DeSouza
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
It's all good Marc. I was just making a small joke because a while back when I posted myself performing the C&Bs and made the infamous "Egyptian paintings" reference in my presentation, Bill Palmer said that although people don't know the difference anyway; why perpetuate a lie? Since then I have removed that little part from my patter because it didn't make a substantial difference. But in your case, I think we can make an exception. Smile

Great performance BTW!
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You should have reposted the video with the patter "According to the magic historian, Bill Palmer, the Cups and Balls go back to ancient Egypt.....".
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-03-25 22:20, Marc DeSouza wrote:
Hi Uriel,

I do know the "real story" about the painting on the wall, but it fits so nicely in the presentation. That routine is actually the opening of my History of Magic Through Performance, which is a 75 minute lecture/performance. My new set of DVD's coming out from L&L has the entire presentation, as well as explanations for my handlings of the clssic effects within the presentation. Once I get into the actual presentation, I do tell the real story of the painting and apologize for the "lie".

Marc DeSouza

Marc:

I don't know if I can allow that, Marc. Smile

Actually, I'm just kidding. In your context it makes sense. I wanted to catch Uriel early on.

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hello all,

The audience in the videos is a split of lay people and local magicians but it seems the magicians are often in the back rows leaving the lay people in the front for more assured reaction shots. Yes, we have grown with some of these folks. Kind of like being brought up with "Leave it to Beaver", you think?

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
How about a "The World's Greatest Reactions by The World's Greatest Audience" - DVD?

I'll buy that!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 23:35, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:

Sankey, on the other hand? Horrible form with that one. The guy he jabbed with the stick had a look on his face that basically said it all. He was very uncomfortable with Jay's version of 'comedy'. If he were a real spectator, jay would have had a beer in his face and a deck of cards shoved down his throat. I think you can thank the spectator dude for saving the moment on that one.

I guess we all grow over time. At Jay's recent lecture in San Francisco, there was a guy in the back of the room who clearly had some problems. He kept interupting Jay with his own strange stories and while the rest of us were getting annoyed, Jay very calmly and very nicely managed this guy. I was thinking to myself, "why is Jay being so nice to this person. This guy keeps interupting and is incredibly rude."

However, as I mentioned, the guy also seemed to have some slight problems, and while it probably took an extra minute or two out of the lecture to handle the guy nicely, in the end, that extra time that Jay gave over to the guy probably saved him more time because once he was done with the guy, he just moved on.

I am guessing we are talking Jay pre marriage and pre kids, because the Jay Sankey I saw could not have been nicer.
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
Speaking of Jay,

There is a teacher at my school who went to school with him, elementary and high school.

She told me she didn't know him too well, but he would be always getting in trouble for goofing off.
Also, she said he did magic everywhere, all the time.
ramoss
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of ramoss
I have to put in my two cents here. Frankly when I watch these DVDs I watch as a spectator first, not a magician. I just don't think the type of audience in these videos, as has been mentioned ad nauseum above helps to decide whether any of the effects are real audience pleasers or stunners. You're just going to have to decide for yourself, so start pretending you are just a layperson, another perfectly strange perfect stranger as you watch, and ignore the ?stooges? on the DVD.
Bob
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
Janelle forever man !!! I was in love as a teenager.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Paid actors or company employees, I don't care. What they supply is the fact that effects properly performed can generate this kind of reactions. Most of the ones who don't like them should privately question themselves if they might hate these la people because they, as performers, cannot get he same type of response.

I don't know who these people are but whatever they are, they are a really great audience. Since we celebrate the performing artist, I think we should credit them as well (I mean positively) for what they, intentionally or not, teach us: focus on pleasing the audience! They do a great job at that.
I can only Smile them and feel grateful for their contribution
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well said, Etienne!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New L&L World's Greatest Magic - Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL