The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Will Rogers Tribute (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
One of my biggest inspirations as an entertainer has always been Will Rogers. I think his friendly, good-natured, and honest demeanor are characteristics that are sorely lacking in our society today.
I really like his almost improvisational style of performance too.
So, in honor of Will, I've begun work on a Tribute show.
I have been practicing my ropework and collected some of his books.
I plan to do some material written by Will that is still current today, as well as some of my own stuff that I think he might have agreed with.
It will be a full evening show.
In addition to the evening show, I will also perform it for free at a couple of retirement communities around here.
This will be the first time I perform any comedy that is not my own.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Good luck! And I hope you manage to get some video taken so you can upload a clip to youtube.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Thanks, I plan to do so.
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My folks are okies and my great uncle, who died before I was born, was a journalist who was very close friends with Will Rogers so I heard lots of stories about him from my grandfather, also very dead. There are, as you likely know, a couple well known tribute shows to him, one being Will Rogers Follies (worth seeing if it plays in your town) and I cant recall the actors name but a well known actor use to do a one man show as Will Rogers (I think he is married to Dixie Carter, the actor not dead Will). Will Rogers was a brilliant guy and he was hugely popular in his time, almost like a Mark Twain type character, and I don't think he ever got called on being Indian.

Are you going to do some rope twirling?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've seen some Will Rogers Follies performances on the web and stuff.
I think it's a great show. There's also a Will Rogers imitator out there who really looks just like him.
Rather than a straight up imitation that just wouldn't compare to the man himself, what I am doing is more like what Will Rogers' wit and wisdom have meant to me in this modern world.
Sort of Will Rogers filtered through the eyes of Critter.
What I think Will would do and be like if he were around now.
I will be writing some material for it, and also using some of Will's stuff that is applicable to our current world.
And yes there will be much rope twirling. I have been working the heck out of my 15 footer and I have a new 24 footer with a brass Honda on the way to make the vertical loops easier.
There likely won't be any catches in my show, but I have always loved roping things. My very first job was on a longhorn ranch just outside of Ketchum Idaho.
My duties there were more like a rodeo clown though. I remember I was walking down the dirt road and the rancher says "Hey Kid, want a few dollars? Just stand in that corner and jump up and down and wave your arms and get them steer to rush you. I'm gonna' come behind 'em and rope 'em. If they're about to get you, jump over the fence." He was getting them into smaller pens.
After that he had me muck horse stalls and dig post holes and all kinds of stuff like that. Him and some of the older guys showed me how to do catches and such.
That's a little off topic. Just some good memories that ropes remind me of.
I also really want people to leave feeling good about each other. That's the feeling that guys like Will Rogers and my Grampa left me with. Wanting to just smile and say "Hi!" to everyone.

Quote:
On 2009-03-24 14:30, MagicSanta wrote:
My folks are okies and my great uncle, who died before I was born, was a journalist who was very close friends with Will Rogers so I heard lots of stories about him from my grandfather, also very dead. There are, as you likely know, a couple well known tribute shows to him, one being Will Rogers Follies (worth seeing if it plays in your town) and I cant recall the actors name but a well known actor use to do a one man show as Will Rogers (I think he is married to Dixie Carter, the actor not dead Will). Will Rogers was a brilliant guy and he was hugely popular in his time, almost like a Mark Twain type character, and I don't think he ever got called on being Indian.

~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There is a woman in the bay area named Charlotte who does rope twirling and was the only woman ever to play the shadow in Will Rogers Follies. She does kids shows, schools etc, and she charges a LOT.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Cool. I used to do whip shows with my buddy until he started doing them with this one guy who didn't like me. That guy quit now though. I've been working on this thing where you spin a wedding ring around yourself whilst snapping a 4' whip between spoke turns. I have a hard time calling it a crack when the whip is only 4 feet.
~Will Rogers
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
"I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers

disclaimer: I am a Democrat (as was Will) so I can attest that this quote is certainly still as accurate as it was back in his day.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Every time I hear that it reminds me of the Alfred Packer trial.
The Judge said, "Dam you Alfred Packer, there were only seven dimmycrats in this County and you just ate four of 'em!"
It was an election year.
These days I probably agree with more of what the Democrats say. Looking back at Lincoln and TR's administrations as Republicans, it almost seems that the parties have switched places ideologically.
I do support the Sinn Fein, so Irish Republican?

Quote:
On 2009-03-27 10:46, airship wrote:
"I'm not a member of any organized political party - I'm a Democrat." -Will Rogers

disclaimer: I am a Democrat (as was Will) so I can attest that this quote is certainly still as accurate as it was back in his day.
~Will Rogers
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Don't forget what Will said about the politicians. "We have the best people in Wasington, that money can buy."
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If anyone isn't familiar with Will Rogers you need to look up some of his quotes, he was a brilliant humorist and all around talent.

(Tom, are you the shell maker? I saw some of your black walnut shells and they are beautiful)
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
MagicSanta,

Yes I make the Deacon Dan black walnut three shell game. Thanks for asking.

Here is a link; http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=190&32

Tom
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
He also said,
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

Quote:
On 2009-03-27 13:59, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Don't forget what Will said about the politicians. "We have the best people in Wasington, that money can buy."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

James Whitmore. That was going to bug me until I found out!
I remember them talking about how Hal Holbrook would spend 30-45 minutes in make up to become Mark Twain while James Whitmore pretty much just messed up his hair and grinned to become Will Rogers!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I like James Whitmore.
Some of the Will Rogers impersonators just spout quotes in an incoherent jumble. They're great quotes but if you don't make a pattern out of them then it's not a show. I don't like that.
James Whitmore was a good guy.
http://www.willrogers.com/writers/storie......ore.html

Quote:
On 2009-03-31 10:21, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

James Whitmore. That was going to bug me until I found out!
I remember them talking about how Hal Holbrook would spend 30-45 minutes in make up to become Mark Twain while James Whitmore pretty much just messed up his hair and grinned to become Will Rogers!
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
James Whitmore Trivia! When Mel Gibson got arrested it was a Whitmore child who was the spokesman for the sheriffs department, he looks just like his dad. Last seasons Survivor the guy who almost won, the one who proposed to his girlfriend, is the grandson of James Whitmore and he was on survivor because he blew through his trust fund.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Will Rogers Tribute (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL