The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cannon's Sweat Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TBeamanJr
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
55 Posts

Profile of TBeamanJr
I saw Mark perform this on the Great Escape Convention 5 DVD, and it has had my attention since. However, it doesn't necessarily meet my personal criteria for an escape, as the performer is out of site for several minutes while effecting his/her release.

While we can debate in sight versus out of sight escapes and how audiences today are more demanding than in Houdini's day, I am curious if anyone has had any first hand experience with the Sweat Box escape? How did it play for you?
1200handcuffs
View Profile
Regular user
USA
107 Posts

Profile of 1200handcuffs
I saw Mark do it in person at the Convention, and I think the audience really liked it. I know I did.
Stan Willis
http://www.handcuffs.us.com
Guinness World Records Handcuff Collection
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Bear in mind..when the Cannons perform it, it's not just a "Here's a box..I get in..and now I escape" routine.

Their routine evolves around a 1930's storyline, with 2 assistants (Sheila & Fox) in costume - playing the part of two "back-woods" Sheriffs...who forcably manacle Mark, and then literally stuff him into the Sweat Box...and THEN into a steel container.

All while appropriate scenario music is playing. There is also a nice visible bit of business involving the cloth sheet that covers the steel box.

Mark's arm then reaches through the door's "feeding hole" and manipulates the padlock to escape.

So, with costumed assistants, music, and a themed storyline...an "out of view" escape CAN work today.
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
I'm interested in this. Any videos out there?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Saw Mark perform this on the Great Escape Convention 5 DVD
TBeamanJr
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
55 Posts

Profile of TBeamanJr
Moxahalla,

Thank you for the reply, but you obviously missed several key words or phrases in my post. This response is not intended to be snarky or smarmy, but rather submitted respectfully to clarify my original post.

I said that being out of sight doesn't fit MY criteria for an escape. That's not to say that it doesn't work for others, or that certain escapes shouldn't be done that way. It's just not how I prefer to perform escapes. I should add that I don't do any escapes that are "life threatening," such as underwater, etc., that could compensate for being out of sight. You must admit that audiences are indeed different today than 100 years ago, and their attention span is a lot shorter.

I also stated that I saw the Mark perform this on their convention DVD, so I am also quite aware of their routine. I tip my hat and bow slightly, as I feel it was a near perfectly themed routine to fit with the sweat box. Just as I respect them as performers, if I did this illusion, I would not copy their routine, but have several ideas of my own.

Back to my original query--has anyone had any FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the sweat box escape?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2009-03-31 20:46, jay leslie wrote:
Saw Mark perform this on the Great Escape Convention 5 DVD

Now I am wonderin'

Wher can we get such a DVD M Leslie

Yours Sincerely

Dave Matkin
on this beautiful April frist 2009.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cannon's Sweat Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL